Clutch cable snapped at only 2600km from new !!!

solomon

Reaction score
I bought the bike new from Yamaha Podgorica (Montenegro), MT09 Tracer. Love the bike. Had first Service at 1000km, now at only 2600km clutch cable snapped !!! I am not a maniac rider as have been keeping bike from new below 5000rpm until run in.
Am I seriously unlucky or has anyone else had this issue ?

PaulG

Reaction score
There have been other cables on 09s that have broken.It may be due to bends near the top fork clamp.

solomon

Reaction score
Most likely just unlucky. Did you inspect the broken cable, was it frayed or cut?
Thanks for all your replies. The cable was frayed and around 60 cm from the gearbox end. It is at the service department now. Technician suspects it was not sitting correctly from factory near Fuel tank. He will work on it this afternoon and will let me know. I will post here later his comments and findings,
Once again, nice to know this forum is active and thanks for replies

solomon

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. The cable was frayed and around 60 cm from the gearbox end. It is at the service department now. Technician suspects it was not sitting correctly from factory near Fuel tank. He will work on it this afternoon and will let me know. I will post here later his comments and findings,
Once again, nice to know this forum is active and thanks for replies
Thought I would attach a photo of the snapped cable and the recovery truck !!! At least I broke down in a beautiful spot and thank God not up in the mountains !!!

Attachments

Chaz

Reaction score
Worrying but not a big issue. Bikes can be ridden without a clutch if needed, city riding will be tough but it can be done.

marthy

Reaction score
You're not the first unfortunately... there's been a few. I never had issues since I swap my handlebars in the early days for the Pro Tapper Carmichael. They are about 2" lower so the cable sit at a proper angle.

Do some search, some use a longer cable from a different Yamaha. I can't remember with model/year.

solomon

Reaction score
I have just spoken to the Yamaha Technician, who surprise surprise, said that Yamaha Croatia and Serbia have no known problems recorded of such clutch failure on their systems. As soon as I told him of this Forum, and all of your feedback, he immediately went from being defensive to saying " Yes, about 20cm from the clutch lever is an aggressive bend in cable that could be over stressed when handlebars are on full lock, and that a longer cable, around 2cm would solve all problems"
I say bravo to this forum, and Yamaha, please, update your systems a bit better with known information so your trained mechanics can do their job properly !!!

the voices

Reaction score
cheers for the tip on bars just what i was wanting wayne.
You're not the first unfortunately... there's been a few. I never had issues since I swap my handlebars in the early days for the Pro Tapper Carmichael. They are about 2" lower so the cable sit at a proper angle.

Do some search, some use a longer cable from a different Yamaha. I can't remember with model/year.

solomon

Reaction score
Just to update you all. Technician replaced clutch cable from another bike. This clutch cable is 3 cm longer than the Tracer but works perfectly and fits with no aggressive U bends. Unfortunately, Yamaha told me that in 10 days, i have to take my bike back to have an original MT09 Tracer clutch wire fitted otherwise my 3 Year guarantee will not be valid !!! What a ridiculous world we live in :) Any suggestions ???

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just to update you all. Technician replaced clutch cable from another bike. This clutch cable is 3 cm longer than the Tracer but works perfectly and fits with no aggressive U bends. Unfortunately, Yamaha told me that in 10 days, i have to take my bike back to have an original MT09 Tracer clutch wire fitted otherwise my 3 Year guarantee will not be valid !!! What a ridiculous world we live in :) Any suggestions ???
Just buy the clutch cable the tech fitted and re-fit it yourself.....

XB12X

Reaction score
Can I get something straight? This is a problem with the Tracer? What about the standard 09?

Gallina_mt092014

Reaction score
I both my MT09 in September 14 and I already change the clutch cable twice @ only 7000 KM,
I`m very frusrated about it :(