Clutch Slipping In 4th, 5th & 6th

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Today was the first time i got to ride the bike in anger. Roads were dry and the sun was shining. Anyway, when hammering it in 4th at about 7500rpm, the RPM suddenly jumped up and continued to do so until i backed of a bit. The bloody clutch was slipping!! It did it in 5th and 6th as well (testing on a private runway of course) Very strange it doesn't do it in 2nd or 3rd????? Anyone else had this? Were talking full throttle A mode here.

I fitted some handlebar muffs, so couldn't try and adjust the clutch cable on the move, but I will try and back off the tension on the cable a bit before calling Yamaha. The clutch does sound a bit odd when slipping it in low gears first thing in the morning, but i put that down to a cold engine / lack of oil

Chris West

Reaction score
Handle bar muffs!?!
Be sure they are not fouling the clutch cable at speed mate.
I had them on my previous bike and they were definitely a problem at speed.

Birdy

Reaction score
Think Chris is right on there Mr crotch ! Had a pair of muffs on my tdm , anything over 70 and the wind pressure would force them against my fingers, had to keep 2 fingers out straight at speed! Hope thats the prob ! I can recommend oxford heated grips, pricey but worth it .

marcusfordus

Reaction score
I had a touch of this on mine straight after swapping the levers, the cam lobe must be a touch out compared to the OE ones. Just an adjustment needed on the engine end of the cable and it was perfect again.

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Cheers chaps. I'll have a blast with the muffs off and check the cable adjustment asap!

Birdy

Reaction score
Well psycho, i fitted my hot grips in anticipation of another cold winter, to be honest not needed them really ! The valley i live in is called Llys Cwm Llydrhew, which roughly translates as little valley of the frost ! It usually lives up to its name :(

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Happy to report, i took the muffs off and slackened the clutch cable and it is not slipping anymore! Cheers for the tips lads !

Birdy

Reaction score
In fairness Mr crotch , they were kin huge muffs ! May well have been sheer wind resistance making the clutch slip under load ! lol

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In fairness Mr crotch , they were kin huge muffs ! May well have been sheer wind resistance making the clutch slip under load ! lol
Those anoraks chuffin drag don't they pmsl

MT-09.... Wheelie wheelie awesome..!

crotchrocket

Reaction score
I know pickle and Angry Through Youtube and Twitter i guess !! Internets a funny thing isn't it lol. Thanks for the sub too!!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very small world the internet mate. Ur welcome. Will have a "crotchrocket" fest later tonight lol

MT-09.... Wheelie wheelie awesome..!

Birdy

Reaction score
Nice filtering through London rush hour Mr. crotch ! Confidence , controlled agression and the odd f@@*ing big BLAT on the akro , to wake up dozy drivers and pedestrians ! A masterclass lol :cool: