Collected the MT-09 this morning

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Hi Finally I got my MT-09 this morning. I bought the bike from a non franchised dealer two weeks ago. She is a 2013 model but only had 875 kms on the clock. I asked him if there were any outstanding recalls that had not been done. They sent the chassis number to Yamaha Spain and turned out there were two. Fuel mapping and ABS sensors. Things move slowly here in Spain but at last it has all been updated.
I had a run home from Alicante to Moraira were I live. I will say this she is a nippy wee bastard. Oh yes I think I am going to enjoy this one. I have come from the FZ1 lovely bike but just to heavy for me now.
I'm 66 and knackered but still love me biking, lets hope this can keep me out and about for a few more years, well impressed .
Weather forecast over the weekend is torrential rain forecast for the weekend, not to worry. I have a few bits and pieces I am adding, Rad Guard, crash bobbins, fender extender , hugger extender and a Puig fly screen just for starters. I am thinking about getting the Tutoro chain oiler.
Cheers Lew

Kimmie

Reaction score
Congrats Lew!!

Still 66 years young and getting about on two wheels- Way to GO!!!
My dad is 78 and is still riding (ok, maybe not as much as he used to) but he's still out there. I love it when we go out together (father/daughter rides), the expressions on peoples faces when we take our helmets off is priceless.

Anyhoos, stay safe buddy.......rubber side down!!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I asked him if there were any outstanding recalls that had not been done. They sent the chassis number to Yamaha Spain and turned out there were two. Fuel mapping and ABS sensors. Things move slowly here in Spain but at last it has all been updated.
There's also a headlight loom recall which your bike will definitely need to have done because it's the same age as mine was.

drumwrecker

Reaction score
66? a youngster .
As long as your leg gets over the saddle you can ride and what a lovely area to ride in.
Keep your bike secure, I have a friend living near Calpe and his three bikes were stolen from his garage.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Cheers folks, intend to enjoy this one, three bikes gone in Calpe, five minutes from me thanks for the heads up, she is garaged and on a ground anchor.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
20151024_182647.jpg20151024_182839.jpg20151024_182703.jpg20151024_112040.jpg
Just a few bits added today. Even the Mrs gave me a hand she fitted the Motec Rad Guard, Puig Fly Screen, Puig Crash Bobbins (they look way to big?? but says on the packing for MT-09, Pyramid Front fender extender, Pyramid Hugger Extender. Still awaiting MT-09 Tank Pad, Tutoro chain oiler and a Givi D340 tank bag & mounting bracket. Have also wired in the Tom Tom but not sure if it will be staying were it is just now.

Patrick

Reaction score
I like the silver forks. I have an orange one with gold forks. My forks Look like they picked them out of the extra parts bin. Kind of like the stock indicators.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Went for a run this morning , not to far as the weather looked threatening, not that I am adverse to a drop of rain but when it rains here in October(Spain) it does not mess about.
I can honestly say I have never had as much fun on a bike for quite sometime. Don't get me wrong I loved my FZ but it was a struggle for me to move around especially on these tight mountain roads I ride. The 09 is just so much lighter for me and I was not having to fight with it. Well saying that next job on the list is to sort out the suspension. There is one corner I love a fast right hander but as you exit it there is hump at the top. As I came over the top of it the bike turned into a bouncy castle, front end is prone to diving on the brakes nearly bottoming out so will be tweaking that. All in all good morning, Even though the ECU has had a Yam upgrade the throttle is still snatchy. I tried all 3 power modes and it is certainly more user friendly in ''B'' mode, ''A'' mode is very aggressive ''Std '' mode is in between the two. As the roads were wet I settled for ''B''mode for most of the ride. The seat is a brick so can feel an upgrade for the seat, maybe an AirHawk?. Have just re-ordered the Hugger extender again as it was missing when I got back, next one will be bolted on.
Anyone any experience with Dunlop Sportsmax tyres, these are stock tyres on the MT-09, never had Dunlops for a 100 years, seemed okay but not a lot of feedback, maybe I was not trying hard enough, still all in all I think this one will keep me happy and biking for a few years to come. Lew

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
...next job on the list is to sort out the suspension...
Next on my list too. After another blast out down the A24 to Boxhill this morning, there's a few fast corners where the feedback through the suspension is unsettling and definitely in need of improvement. Met Fluke today (nice fella, cheers Fluke - love the TBR! :)) and his set up of ZX10 rear shock and updated springs upfront, well and truly sorts out the jumpy back end and soft front apparently.

Anyone any experience with Dunlop Sportsmax tyres, these are stock tyres on the MT-09
My stock tyres are Bridgestone S20's, which also don't receive the greatest reviews, but with a improved suspension set up, I'm sure the feedback from the rubber will improve!

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I got my bike with Dunlop Sportmax D214 and kept them on bike for 9.696 km, i change them for PR4s before the tyre wear indicators touch the tarmac.
I ran them in std pressure 36/42. For these tyres i have to say that were more stable at 224-225km but a bit scary on wet.
PR4s are fantastic everywhere but not too stable at high speeds, the more as getting old...
Now i have 22.200 km ...

Locksmith

Reaction score
Ive got Bridgestones and find them good. Dont last too long though!

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Yamaha seem to throw any tyres on new bikes. I was in a dealers the other day and there were 3 new MT-07's sitting side by side not one of them had the same make of tyre, one had Michelin's PR4's, one had Dunlop Sportmax and the other had Bridgestones.