Cutting out???

Yatesy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone on here has heard of/had a problem I've got.

Got a brand new mt09 abs, nearly 500 miles done and in for its first service next Saturday. Since I've had it, the engine has cut out 5 times randomly when I've downshifted.

I saw the dealer yesterday who says they will have a look when it's in next week but wondering if anyone has had similar problems?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Yatesy

Spot

Reaction score
Nope, can't say i've heard of anyone having that problem with an MT-09.

I had the same problem with a Range Rover a few years back and it was an ECU fault. Bloody thing used to cut out every time the auto box changed down around a slow corner. Very annoying, dangerous and expensive to get fixed.
Good job yours is under warranty :)

Let us know what gets diagnosed.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't heard of that but will still ask our technicians if anyone has mentioned it at all

M

MT account

my FZ did it a fair bit before it was thrashed in, it also didnt want to start a few times and would wind over for quite a bit before firing. i gave it a damn good thrapping after the 1000km service n it was fine after that. i think its loosend up now..:)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
my FZ did it a fair bit before it was thrashed in, it also didnt want to start a few times and would wind over for quite a bit before firing. i gave it a damn good thrapping after the 1000km service n it was fine after that. i think its loosend up now..:)
Funny how a good thrapping always loosens things up....! I did it to mine but not till the 600mile service was complete lol ;)

Yatesy

Reaction score
I haven't heard of that but will still ask our technicians if anyone has mentioned it at all
Ideal would appreciate that. Salesman said that isn't right (obviously) and seemed concerned. Happened earlier. Only done it downshifting, weird trying to give it a bit of throttle and nothing.

Hopefully it won't b a nightmare of being intermittent and nothing being picked up in diagnostics.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ideal would appreciate that. Salesman said that isn't right (obviously) and seemed concerned. Happened earlier. Only done it downshifting, weird trying to give it a bit of throttle and nothing.

Hopefully it won't b a nightmare of being intermittent and nothing being picked up in diagnostics.
Did it start straight away on the button?

Yatesy

Reaction score
Did it start straight away on the button?
Yeh no problems, didn't even need to turn the ignition off and then on, just pulled the start switch when free wheeling and kicked in straight away. I'm always in standard mode if that adds some more info

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Were your handlebars in the straight ahead position when you down shifted and it cut out?

I had a BMW that did that but only when it was turning right, something to do with the throttle cable and the TPS setting. After a service at the main dealer it never did it again.

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone on here has heard of/had a problem I've got.

Got a brand new mt09 abs, nearly 500 miles done and in for its first service next Saturday. Since I've had it, the engine has cut out 5 times randomly when I've downshifted.

I saw the dealer yesterday who says they will have a look when it's in next week but wondering if anyone has had similar problems?

Cheers

Yatesy

Kinjane

Reaction score
Hopefully just down to a tight engine and fueling getting tied up in knots at less than 2% throttle inside the ultra eco zone.

Mine did it several times during the first few hundred miles. No fault codes appeared, didn't bother mentioning it to the Tech and it hasn't happened since.

paulrab

Reaction score
Mine did it once whilst flicking through the rider modes, this was before the first service also.
Started up immediately on the move by flicking the starter switch, and hasn't done it since!!

Yatesy

Reaction score
Were your handlebars in the straight ahead position when you down shifted and it cut out?

I had a BMW that did that but only when it was turning right, something to do with the throttle cable and the TPS setting. After a service at the main dealer it never did it again.
No they were pretty neutral too be honest, leaning round corners doesn't put much lock on I spose tho.

Yatesy

Reaction score
Hopefully just down to a tight engine and fueling getting tied up in knots at less than 2% throttle inside the ultra eco zone.

Mine did it several times during the first few hundred miles. No fault codes appeared, didn't bother mentioning it to the Tech and it hasn't happened since.
Mine did it once whilst flicking through the rider modes, this was before the first service also.
Started up immediately on the move by flicking the starter switch, and hasn't done it since!!
Cheers guys, hopefully something as simple as that, few more miles and we'll see

MOZSIPAHI

Reaction score
Yes I had the same 2 times. Did u change your exhaust which most probably cause this problem. Removal of cat.converter changes the air balance as far as I know and sometimes this happens. I had 2 bros complete system.

Cheers

Yatesy

relz

Reaction score
I had it two or three times.
I mentioned it to my mechanic on my 10,000 maintenance, and he supposedly did some alignment/sync (couldn't understand him) to the injectors. Hasn't happened since.

Yatesy

Reaction score
Yes I had the same 2 times. Did u change your exhaust which most probably cause this problem. Removal of cat.converter changes the air balance as far as I know and sometimes this happens. I had 2 bros complete system.
Nope, standard as standard can be.

My Toy

Reaction score
Not had it with the MT but it has happened to me on a CB1300 braking and downshifting with a low fuel level. The fuel pick up being at the rear of the tank apparently ran dry as the fuel surged forwards under braking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yatesy

Reaction score
Not had it with the MT but it has happened to me on a CB1300 braking and downshifting with a low fuel level. The fuel pick up being at the rear of the tank apparently ran dry as the fuel surged forwards under braking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Weird you mention fuel, the fuel gauge doesn't seem 100%, went from full to 2 bars in the space of a mile the other day, hmmm intriguing. Taking it for its 600 mile service tomorrow so let you know what (if any) the outcome is

Yatesy

Reaction score
Well........had the service yesterday, nothing wrong. Dealer plugged diagnostics in and no error codes apart from 1 instance of the engine stalling. Don't think I've stalled the bike since I've had it but dealer said it wasn't showing as a bike error or something.

Hopefully as someone said, just a new engine running itself in. Time will tell!!