Cutting out???

AfricaPhil

Reaction score
My Mt 09 Tracer won't idle at sea level

Hi guys
I ride a 2015 MT 09 with a full Akrapovic system. I noticed it cut out at idle speed once or twice when it got hot (at traffic lights etc) but I didn't pay much attention to it. Where I live in South Africa we are at about 2000 metres above sea level. Recently I rode down to the coast and as I got close to sea level the bike started to act erratically and would cut out at anything below 1500 RPM. When I left and started to gain altitude the problem went away (mostly as it still cut out sometimes when hot). I took it to the dealership where I bought it from and they hooked it up to their diagnostic software but couldn't find any faults. The technician played with some or other settings on the ECU and said that it might solve the problem but I haven't been down to sea level again so I don't know. What I have noticed is that I have lost a bit of power. I was riding with a friend with the identical bike as mine on the weekend and at one stage we both opened up together and he pulled away from me with ease. He is a big guy and weighs about 30 Kgs more than me so there is obviously a problem. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to where I should start looking? Can the bike be dyno'd with a standard ECU or do you have to fit a power commander? Surely the ECU on a modern bike should compensate for changes in altitude?
I would really appreciate any help here.
Thanks