Do you really need to clean the bike and chain after every trip in the rain?

MadGelo

Reaction score
Chain thing is in the manual..

Been rather rainy weather last couple of weeks...surely you shouldnt need to clean it every time?

I did spray some parts with ACF50 when iv got the bike...

rob5006

Reaction score
Chain thing is in the manual..

Been rather rainy weather last couple of weeks...surely you shouldnt need to clean it every time?

I did spray some parts with ACF50 when iv got the bike...
Lube your chain when it is WARM (give it a quick and very short blast around the block)..your chain will absorb the lube more thoroughly and be properly coated....work the lube in every part of the chain with your fingers...none of this 'spray and go' stuff...The rain will now bounce off your chain and have more protection against the elements. Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs...!
Lube your chain when it looks and feels dry....don't put too much lube on as it will fling off all over your back wheel....using your fingers means that you will massage the lube properly into the chain.....this will give your chain and sprocket longer life!

Last edited:

MadGelo

Reaction score
im rather new to the whole bike thing.

Anything is very apritiated.

matt.b

Reaction score
From my experience the above is good advice, I ride every day every weather and the only other part of my bike that has needed extra love has been the brakes which crud up with salt and muck causing a little binding. As for regular cleaning I don't do much but even after some heavy winters the bike polishes up nice with a bit if elbow grease.

Obviously if you have the time and inclination the cleaner the better if you are looking for good resale value down the line but that is getting in to the suck eggs area of obvious advice lol

M

MT account

i use a toothbrush. she isnt too keen on it but i assure her it will stop her teeth from rusting....

Kinjane

Reaction score
chain lube thread anyone???

I use my own unique blend not available in the shops, so I'll bow out gracelessly.

Mtpete

Reaction score
I'm going to chip in with some egg sucking advice, if you are using a spray lube, less is more watch out for over spray on the tyre. I know it sounds silly but I've seen lots of people drown the chain and coat the tyre with chain lube inadvertently, can end badly.

rob5006

Reaction score
personally, I don't like scottoilers....used to have one but took it off...too messy. Prefer to manually oil the chain as and when it is needed.

MadGelo

Reaction score
Noticed rust spots on the chain today, so I panic lubed it..might have overdone it a bit:p

Cobweb

Reaction score
I lube the chain when it looks/feels dry and the brakes get a scrub quite often but I only clean the rest of the bike when I can no longer read Yamaha tank badge.