Engine squeal?

auora5000

Reaction score
Hi guys (gals, are there any on here? :) ) I have just bought a 2014 MT09 with just under 2000 miles recorded, bike runs absolutely fine with no issues. However, on starting from cold, there is a rather annoying loud squeal that comes from the right side of the engine, around where the clutch is?. Once the engine is warm it completely disappears. ? I have searched this forum but cannot find any similar or linked threads to the noise. I have done an internet search and found an American MT09 forum where a person with the same bike had exactly the same noise, there was no response to his query, to which he did not seem that worried about it just continued to ride it. As its a new acquisition for myself, I am a little worried about it, could anyone kindly shed any light on this annoying squeal? Many thanks in advance. Off for a beer now, after stuffing another choc egg .....:)

Apologies if I am in the wrong section.......

Last edited:

stevecbr

Reaction score
Theres a common rattle from either the clutch or cam chain tensioner (CCT). The clutch noise stops when the clutch is pulled in.
Never heard of a squeal, could it be coming from the starter motor (not disengaging on startup?)

Shaun64

Reaction score
my 2016 tracer makes a different noise when cold to warm but I wouldn't describe it as a squeal it's higher pitch but not a squeal, bet yours is like mine just fine it's just new to you.

auora5000

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys, its a definite squeal, (to me it sounds similar to a dry bearing?) the noise is still present when the clutch lever is pulled in. Just wondering who I could take it to for a diagnosis that's not going to cost a fortune...... ?

my 2016 tracer makes a different noise when cold to warm but I wouldn't describe it as a squeal it's higher pitch but not a squeal, bet yours is like mine just fine it's just new to you.

bumpyride

Reaction score
Hi auora5000,
Congrats on the new bike, and welcome to the forum, im one of the other gals on here have MT09 2016, Not sure on the noise you have mine just has the triple whistle which is pretty loud when i first start up. Maybe ask Triple trouble he maybe able to help you. :)

auora5000

Reaction score
triple

Hiya Bumpyride, thanks for the welcome :D I will search triple trouble out, (assuming he is on this forum) thats an interesting analogy you mention with your own bike, when does a squeal become a whistle? (if I stepped on my cats tail I would know the answer for sure!) I am certain I can find some help on here, it seems to be a very friendly forum to belong to ..... :eek:

Hi auora5000,
Congrats on the new bike, and welcome to the forum, im one of the other gals on here have MT09 2016, Not sure on the noise you have mine just has the triple whistle which is pretty loud when i first start up. Maybe ask Triple trouble he maybe able to help you. :)

stevecbr

Reaction score
your starter switch is not sticking is it? I had my starter switch replaced under warranty. If the starter doesn't disengage properly, that would make a squealing sound.
Where abouts are you?