exhaust project...

Impostor1981

Reaction score
With my manual skills I would rather pay someone to do it for me ;-)

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
couple more photos, primered ready for satin black finish, heatshield tip done and main heatshield is getting carbonafied...

Last edited:

colinlinz

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
It will be interesting to see how it goes without the helmholtz tubing. I would expect the ECU to adjust to degree, they are a closed loop engine management system. I would also expect the peak torque to occur at a different RPM. In the end, some custom mapping might be advantageous to get the best from the changes.

Nice project.

kiwimacchi

Reaction score
Toasted blue, will you be taking orders if this works out to be quality mode???
Hi Toasted Blue, great that you've done this- makes it easier for the rest of us tightarse's. Anyway, haven't yet seen an aftermarket muffler that looks as good as factory. 2 questions, did you put packing in, and how LOUD is it? I love the idea, but dont want too loud:confused:. Cheers, kiwimacchi

flipper

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how it goes without the helmholtz tubing. I would expect the ECU to adjust to degree, they are a closed loop engine management system. I would also expect the peak torque to occur at a different RPM. In the end, some custom mapping might be advantageous to get the best from the changes.

Nice project.
They're not fully closed loop. The ECM cannot adjust fuelling for this, except when using the Lambda sensor when the ECU sees a constant throttle opening of below 20% between 2000rpm & 6000rpm, and the engine is warmed up.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
2 questions, did you put packing in, and how LOUD is it? I love the idea, but dont want too loud:confused:. Cheers, kiwimacchi
Not finished yet but when it is I'll post more photos and video
Yes, we put packing in, it's the type that expands with heat, it should fill the cavity

Last edited:

colinlinz

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
They're not fully closed loop. The ECM cannot adjust fuelling for this, except when using the Lambda sensor when the ECU sees a constant throttle opening of below 20% between 2000rpm & 6000rpm, and the engine is warmed up.
Yes, I noticed this some where else after I posted the comment. It's normal for it to need to be warm. The O2 sensors don't work until they are hot, I wasn't aware that they were only closed loop in cruising mode though.

MT09 Kiwi

Reaction score
couple more photos, primered ready for satin black finish, heatshield tip done and main heatshield is getting carbonafied...

Interesting project, I was thinking about doing something with the standard "ball bag" but changed my mind when I looked inside, what a garbled mess it is but it seems to work pretty well, but way too heavy, complex and too quiet. Only one issue I can see with what you have done may be the virtually non existent secondary pipe, which may mean gasses may stall once they are in the perforated tube actually inhibiting flow whereas a nice long secondary pipe will encourage flow from the collector, but who would know, it may work a treat, only a dyno run will tell :). Included a polaroid of what I ended up with from my mods and it cost me about 80 quid in your money. Cheers

Pipe 3.jpg

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
just a quick update... heatshield still isn't finished but I'm too impatient to wait any longer so taking the bike for a dyno run, or two, on Saturday 10th
will run the bike with standard exhaust then swap the exhaust over, take it for a short run to get the wadding expanded, and run it with the modified exhaust
will post video and dyno results hopefully on Saturday

kevxtx

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing mate, interesting to see what is in the STD baffling.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
Well, got it onto the dyno today and the results were pretty good, Dean at Two Wheel Engineering was impressed at how well it performed, anyway, here's the video...

Yamaha MT09 (FZ09) dyno run at Two Wheel Engineering, Bridgend - YouTube

low rpm fueling is slightly leaner and it's a little rough under 2k but nothing I can't live with, although I've only ridden it from the garage home so it could settle down, and high rpm fueling is better although standard fueling is very good so not a huge improvement.
no torque figures I'm afraid, he couldn't pick up a signal for the rpm from the left coil pack, the only one he could reach without taking the tank off.
will try to get a ride-by video done tomorrow cos it sounds friggin awesome :D

kevxtx

Reaction score
Nice one, you will see some more gains when you lean the motor out at the higher revs.

MT09 Kiwi

Reaction score
Excellent result and not too loud either, once you can smooth out the fuelling a wee bit more then the bike will be brilliant, they all seem to be about 105 standard.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
didn't manage to get a ride-by video yet but did hit the limiter in top gear with ease and it definitely feels quicker :D
will post a photo of the finished project when I get my heatshield back, the guy is taking the pish :/

PeteMT

Reaction score
I mod'ed my own spare stocky too. Did it very differently to this though. I cut majority of the original welds instead of cutting it vertically, so when all the baffles are removed and it put back together my box is the same dimensions as original.

Produces a good sound too. So much so that I have ended up selling my brand new Akro that I hadnt installed.

kiwimacchi

Reaction score
Hi Pete MT- how about sharing what exactly you did. Did you leave anything inside, or did you gut the whole box, and how loud is it? Any photos?

stevecbr

Reaction score
Just bought a replacement exhaust of Ebay. Planning on modding it, but will be keeping the collector box standard, just planning on removing S pipe (so gas passes straight from cat chamber to final chamber, out of exit pipe. I will also be drilling a new, 2nd outlet from the cat chamber to the final chamber, to flow more gas)
I will be keeping the cat.
Are you still happy with your mod?