front end knocking and whistle ?

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
rocking the bike back and fore with the front brake on and getting a knocking on the up/down stroke and a whistle on the up stroke :confused:
I've tried to determine where the knocking is coming from, not the yokes or head stock bearings it's either the forks or the brakes, but it sound like something serious and the bike is only 10 days old and done a sensible 320 miles, no wheelies or agressive braking and the whistling only started after I adjusted the compression screw

any ideas ?

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Knocking probably the pads moving in the caliper, not a worry, quite usual, whistling no clue really, perhaps compressed air escaping from the fork? have your dealer take a listen perhaps.

flipper

Reaction score
Mine does it too. Sounds like the left fork leg to me - the dummy cartridge probably knocks. When you have the top cap off the damper rod wobbles about; it's not a tight fit like the right hand side.

stevecbr

Reaction score
the whistle may just be the oil passing through the fork internals. the knocking most probably the pistons in the calipers.
Take it back to the dealers if your not happy, but check all the bolts have been tightened and are not loose in the forks/calipers area

Pool Boy

Reaction score
Mine does the knocking thing too - so did the FJR I had
Not come across the whistle though

fizzy

Reaction score
Mine dose it its the rotas on the floating brake discs don't worry mate its normal

MadGelo

Reaction score
Mine did the same on my rear wheel, whole caliper was moving because it wasnt tight enough. Tightened it to proper torque and and it stopped ( remember to put caliper against the correct side before tightening)

[video=youtube;x6bZYfPNRig]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6bZYfPNRig&list=UUyTzXJvMnnttUdc_jSWMH4g[/video]

Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine does that but only when the front wheel is actually in contact with the road (which isn't very often lol)!
In all seriousness....it's just the pads moving in the caliper...nothing to worry about at all and completely normal...
The whistle sound I think is just the fork oil being squeezed through the cartridge but if ur really concerned about any of this then take the bike back to your dealership so they can put your mind at ease...

Locksmith

Reaction score
Every once in a while I get the knocking as well. At first it did concern me as the bike was new but I checked all the torques and made sure everything was where it should be and carried on.
I thought it may have been the ABS as its the first time I've had it on a bike.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
update... took the bike down to my mates, he's a proper mechanic not a Fowlers "technician", and he said it's the floating discs and nothing to worry about... phew :)

thanks for all the replies !