Gearbox safety recall

lee1980

Reaction score
Got letter in post today, anyone know what's involved? Says its to do with the gear selector expect its drop oil etc to do.
Annoying as only had first service last week, and will mean no doubt going to dealer early morning and hanging around or getting a loan bike but bet will have to pay for that, had a recall on a Honda and they would not cover costs of loan bike etc.

Way I see it this shouldn't cost me anytime or money!!

sigtrm

Reaction score
Got letter in post today, anyone know what's involved? Says its to do with the gear selector expect its drop oil etc to do.
Annoying as only had first service last week, and will mean no doubt going to dealer early morning and hanging around or getting a loan bike but bet will have to pay for that, had a recall on a Honda and they would not cover costs of loan bike etc.

Way I see it this shouldn't cost me anytime or money!!
Anyone has more info? Is it involved with tracer recall? Which VINs are involved? All?

MTom

Reaction score
hmm mines about to have its first service too. would be nice to get it done at the same time.

lee1980

Reaction score
There is a post in tracer section to so guess it was for tracer to, mine says " under some circumstances, after continued operation, the gear shift cam segment stopper may start to develop a fatigue crack which in extreme may eventually hinder gear selection "
Says for Xt1200z and Yzf-R6 to. Doesn't say which affected just my frame number.
There is usually a website with recalls listed.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I just gave a call to my dealer who said that they have informed for the recall anouncement since last Monday..
2 owners of new Tracer had allready put warranty claims for the gear shift lever.
I gave my vin number and my bike is not in the list for the recall but the mechanic will send my claim and maybe will be accept.
Also he told me that the spare levers hadn't arrive yet in Greece and they will travel from Holland (Yamaha Europe Headquarters) next week.
So, Tue or Wed i should know about my case..

Locksmith

Reaction score
Wonder if the VIN's in the Oz one are for them only or worldwide, there's not many bikes effected, around 350.

Edit:

Heres the UK ones VOSA - Vehicle Recalls

Last edited:

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Wonder if the VIN's in the Oz one are for them only or worldwide, there's not many bikes effected, around 350.

Edit:

Heres the UK ones VOSA - Vehicle Recalls
In the page you have posted there is only the ABS recall.
And yes the recall we are talking now about is worldwide.. my mechanic find MT-09, MT-09A and MT-09tracer that sold in Greece with vin numbers JYARN 296/294/29L0000.... but the last digits are later produced than mine's..

Timo50

Reaction score
Seems not al bikes are affected?, my VIN number is not included in the numbers on VOSA's website, I haven't had a letter either yet.

Locksmith

Reaction score
Don't know why but the vosa link has reset itself

Heres the VIN's

RN296######0009355 to RN296######0010782
RN29F#####0001080 to RN29F######0002551
RN291######0004601 to RN291######0005001
DP041######0001239 to DP041######0001293
DP046######0001835 to DP046######0001873
RJ155######0008385 to RJ155######0008482

Covers MT, XT1200 and R6

Kinjane

Reaction score
Not riding it seems very good advice. I had something break off inside an Italian gearbox once, it ended up between the main shaft and lay shaft and I ended up with a cracked a crankcase. New cases cost more than the bike was worth and there were no second hand ones about. Got a RAC van back home and it was collected for scrap a couple of weeks later after an engine strip down and an engineers assessment.

Fortunately it does appear an easy part to remove and install without disturbing much else of importance.

Last edited:

lee1980

Reaction score
I've just had mine done at the dealers this morning. I rang them earlier in the week. They hadn't heard of it, but checked with Yamaha and booked me in for today. All good now.
Do you know how long it took and if they needed to drop the oil?

lee1980

Reaction score
They said it would take them an hour and half. I don't know what they did with the oil. I'm guessing they would need to, as I understand they need to remove the clutch.
Thanks Colin, not to long then. Will most likely have to wait then at dealers before or at end of work doh, this is the thing with these recalls they dont charge but my time is never re-reimbursed, had same with a Honda other year they wouldnt even pay for loan bike to do recall work.
Yea would think they put back in same oil like after.

On my letter there is no mention of not riding it either just to book it in as soon as possible.

Last edited:

colinlinz

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Yes, its not nice. I hate that my bike has had to have work done it. I guess shit happens. All manufactures have their hiccups. On the bonus side, Yamaha acted quickly and are fixing the problem. I've seen some manufactures argue the point and insist that there is nothing wrong with some products for ages before a recall is forced on them.

RipGroove

Reaction score
I've not had a letter about this yet?

/EDIT my VIN ends in 381 so guessing it's not on the list?

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited: