Gearbox Whine

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I went out this morning and forgot to put in my earplugs. I had noticed a noise from the gearbox at some points but it has never been to intrusive, but without the plugs in it seems really loud!
worst is in 3rd (at around 30mph) and in sixth gear anywhere between 60-70, OK maybe at that speed I should still be in 5th, or even 4th, but for cruising 6th should be OK.
My bike has done 600 miles, and is going in for first service this week, so I will mention it. I just wondered if anyone else has notice this same whine from there gearbox?

j4ybee

Reaction score
I have noticed a whine several times while riding mine. Quite pronounced in 6th some times. I dnt think its anything to worry about though. The gearbox doesnt sound rough and selects all gears fine.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Yes!! mine has made a whiney noise since I picked it up, noticing the most in 3rd gear and 4th gear and less so in gears above that. As far as I can tell it is normal

Chris West

Reaction score
I'd have a quick check of the engine oil level as its shared with the transmission.
I've done 4k now and it dosent appear to have used a drop.
I have become aware of the difference in sound between clutch in and out but its nothing alarming, just different.

bill

Reaction score
I had the same on my test ride, below is my thread....

LinkBack
Search Thread
Rate This Thread
Display
11-25-2013, 10:00 PM #1
bill

gear box noise ?
Last Sunday after last Fridays MT 09 introduction I cruised by the local Yamaha shop and found them open. Cool I went in and 15 minuets later I was away on my test ride. First impressions were I love this frigging thing, it was a bit wet so my test was tame. Needless to say I returned and found myself trading in my 2008 Multistrada 1100 s on the spot. Jan. sees my delivery, don't know what I will do with it then as I"m sure my friend snow will be ruling. But the one thing that surprised me was the gear box scream in 3rd and 4th about 5000 rpm. This didn't stop me buying but I wonder if the test bike was ok or not ? I was the first test rider, even the shop owners had no comment as they had not had the chance between the rain to try the bike.I ordered orange.
Bill
Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote Blog this Post
11-26-2013, 09:47 AM #2
stevecbr

not sure what you mean by gearbox scream, but mine is fine, and the test bike I rode was fine.
The bike roars at higher revs, I think it sounds like a subaru imprezza, but its not gearbox noise, more a combination of induction and exhaust
Reply Reply With Quote Blog this Post
11-26-2013, 11:09 AM #3
rob5006

The gearbox scream will be the exhaust 'breathing' and a sign that your engine is working for you. It's a good sign !
If your exhaust is screaming in 3rd at 5k revs then your speed must have been about 70mph. I would be worried if my exhaust wasn't 'screaming'-i love the sound ! That's your bikes way of saying ' come on boss, let's give it some!'
If you then change down to 4th gear, the 'scream' will go as your revs drop.
The sound of my exhaust lets me know how my revs are and what gear i'm in without looking at my clocks.-All is fine. Enjoy riding a fine piece of engineering!
Last edited by rob5006; 11-26-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Reply Reply With Quote Blog this Post
11-26-2013, 09:48 PM #4
SuperMotoBoy

Originally Posted by rob5006
Enjoy riding a fine piece of engineering!
Just my words!

Bill, congrats with the deal and welcome!
I swapped my MTS1200 for this wonder, and never looked back
If the scream is like some one is playing with scaring their sister - something is wrong.
If the scream like a man roars when he has got a goal in - then it's party time
11-26-2013, 11:38 PM #5
rob5006

That's quite poetic of you, morten!

biggiep

Reaction score
Hiya Trevor,

My bike does exactly the same and the demo bike did the same too. I'll mention it but I think it might be standard.

Thanks
Richard

bill

Reaction score
It would be interesting for yamaha to make a comment ? Some race gearboxes (cars anyway) have different shaped cogs and make the same sort of sound but it is always present not intermittent like the MT.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
It would be interesting for yamaha to make a comment ? Some race gearboxes (cars anyway) have different shaped cogs and make the same sort of sound but it is always present not intermittent like the MT.

Yes! you mean straightcut gears, performance cars use these because they don't waste as much power as sideways cut teeth, they are proper noisey/whiney, but motorcycles always use straightcut gears anyway as far as I know.

pipski99

Reaction score
I get a whine in 6th gear only and wasn't worried about it, especially now I hear all you guys with similar stories. If it does turn out to be a problem then we'll all be going back to the dealers together for repair / recall work I guess.

I will mention it on my first service too though just in case.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
So this morning I popped down to my local bike shop, (not where I bought my Mt09 from), I have been dealing with this bike shop since I was 15 and it's stuck in some sort of timewarp, the posters on the wall are the same ones as in 1980 when I first set foot in the place, being of 1970's Yamahas like Fsie's and DT125's and the like. Anyway I digress, I asked the mechanic to take my MT out for a spin and see what his opinion was on the gearbox, he said it's no biggie and just a characteristic of it and that it may well settle in as bits of metal get smoother as it runs in. he did seem to be grinning a bit when he got off.

Colton123

Reaction score
Transmission noise

When doing 60 I get a wining noise as if the engine is vibrating any one had this ? My dealer says it is a characteristic of the bike and nothing to worry about so just thought I would get your apinion.

M

MT account

id say its a straight cut gear on the primary and clutch gears. a straight cut gear is stronger and transmits more power through a smaller area of contact where as a helical cut gear is quiet but has to be wider as it does not handle the same horsepower. nc30's were typical with their gear driven cams and my street does it too.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
yeah mine whines, third gear the most, a bit in 4th 5th and 6th, it might be getting quieter though as the miles rack up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cypher

Reaction score
Like my dealer said several times when complaining about noises on the bike - "It's just the way it sounds so get used to it and enjoy the ride" :D

But then again, he said the same thing about the camchain noise...

Cams

Reaction score
The whining is nothing to worry about. Mines does exactly the same at lower speeds in 3rd and 4th. It's just an engine characteristic. I find it disappears when I give in to the engine's wishes and give it a handful! Plus it's more fun for me :)

Spot

Reaction score
Other people have mentioned the whine in other threads and it seems to be normal and people are reporting it disappears as the miles increase.
My own experience is that I noticed the whine in 6th gear starting at about 500 miles, then a few hundred miles later I started getting it in 3rd & 4th too and now with 2,000 miles on the clock it seems to have disappeared.

M

MT account

i find the vibration through the footpegs more annoying because theyres none through my street triple or ER. the whine doesnt bother me at all.

Martin p

Reaction score
i have been working on bikes and cars for nearly forty years now, and when i started we didnt think an engine was fully run in until about 1500 miles. I always change the oil in anything i own every couple of thousand miles. After all just under 3 litres of oil to lube the engine and gearbox up to 11000 revs is demanding a lot from that oil. Also gearboxes in cars have their own oil, not shared with the engine (except the original mini Circa 1960 onwards, hence the whiny transmission on those)

Cams

Reaction score
i find the vibration through the footpegs more annoying because theyres none through my street triple or ER. the whine doesnt bother me at all.
I'm the complete opposite mate! Used to have an ER and anything over 4500rpm I could feel a load of vibration through the footpegs. I've not noticed any on my MT so far...