Good bye tax disc...=small number plate crackdown?

Birdy

Reaction score
DVLA says:

If you sell a vehicle after 1 October and you have notified DVLA, you will automatically get a refund for any full remaining months left on the vehicle tax. The refund will be sent to the keepers details on DVLA records so you need to make sure that these are correct.
I hope thats correct flipper mate , but check they they will only refund if you have taxed vehicle for a whole year ??

flipper

Reaction score
I hope thats correct flipper mate , but check they they will only refund if you have taxed vehicle for a whole year ??
Cannot find that anywhere on the DVLA website. The words say "any remaining months left on the vehicle tax".

Birdy

Reaction score
Cannot find that anywhere on the DVLA website. The words say "any remaining months left on the vehicle tax".
In that case , i will take my source out the back, and as our american friends would say, pop a cap up his bottom !! ;)

Twozup

Reaction score
ANPR has been in use for a fair few years in UK particularly in Londinium.

It DOES "recognise" illegal plates ie plates that are smaller than std (it flags up as an unrecognisable number) and its up to discretion of Plod to pursue or decide it's not worth the paperwork (postcode lottery anyone) or possibly foreign plate etc.

I've a 7x9 and never been stopped even after a talking to for filtering "illegally" (yeah RIGHT!)

Our plod seem a bit more relaxed in my neck of woods as most of them prob have bikes themselves!

Tax can be reclaimed but only from the next full month ie we lose 29/30days money if we sell bike on 1st of the month. A Bloody Liberty!
I'm almost certain it's not an auto refund either- you either claim asap or lose out each month if you don't until the tax runs out! (I'll stand corrected)

But fuck em just ride till you get stopped.

bullet

Reaction score
ANPR has been in use for a fair few years in UK particularly in Londinium.

It DOES "recognise" illegal plates ie plates that are smaller than std (it flags up as an unrecognisable number) and its up to discretion of Plod to pursue or decide it's not worth the paperwork (postcode lottery anyone) or possibly foreign plate etc.

I've a 7x9 and never been stopped even after a talking to for filtering "illegally" (yeah RIGHT!)

Our plod seem a bit more relaxed in my neck of woods as most of them prob have bikes themselves!

Tax can be reclaimed but only from the next full month ie we lose 29/30days money if we sell bike on 1st of the month. A Bloody Liberty!
I'm almost certain it's not an auto refund either- you either claim asap or lose out each month if you don't until the tax runs out! (I'll stand corrected)

But fuck em just ride till you get stopped.

It is an auto refund mine came through as for my new bike everytime b4 I want out I checked the dvla website to see if it was still had tax

GastonJ

Reaction score
If you're selling, then sell on the last day of the month and if you're buying buy it on the 1st, provided the 1st isn't a Saturday afternoon or a Sunday. While you can tax a vehicle that's already registered in your name online, you can only tax a new vehicle (with the green part of the logbook) at a post office. Don't know why it's not killed weekend sales, or how they're getting around if *shrug*

Bike and car are now much lighter with not having to carry a tax disc around.....