Guess who has "Rattle" on the bike??

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So... Went out for a blaht this afternoon and whilst I was changing lanes I did a shoulder check and as I turned my head (with my visor open) I heard a nasty rattling sound coming from the right hand side of the bike.

At first I thought I'd got married AGAIN and someone had tied a shed load of cans to the back of the bike..! As this wasn't the case I rode straight around the corner to my dealers for a lovely cuppa while my mate took the bike for a "test ride"!

Upon his return he got of my bike (with a grin like a Cheshire Cat! don't we all)?? and said yes there is a rattle and it sounds like the cam chain tensioner...

Another brew was made and we ordered the new tensioner (under warranty or course)! When it arrives on Tuesday it's getting fitted as soon as I finish work and get there. The bike has done 1192 miles and I thought I was gonna get away with it lol

stunva

Reaction score
Can you record it and let us know what it sounds like.
I've got a slight noise but I'm not sure.
I've had bikes that have had a lot of engine noise in the past and nothing was wrong.

Does it sound like you would expect, a chain running over a hard surface ?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes that's exactly wot it sounds like. U can not miss it. Hard to hear for me as I have the akra fitted without baffle so it's kinda loud lol. Only happens on the roll off around 4-5k revs. Oh and it comes from the right hand side of the bike.

UnluckySlats

Reaction score
Me to and oil light came on yesterday after
start up. Contacted dealer who say yamaha
I no concerns with tensioner and not to start my
Bike up on the stand as this would bring oil
Light on !

julianziggy

Reaction score
i had a pretty horrible rattle at around 4000 rpm in any gear or idle.
then i noticed the oil light came on during start up. put a bit of oil in and the rattle went away, as well as the oil light

UnluckySlats

Reaction score
i had a pretty horrible rattle at around 4000 rpm in any gear or idle.
then i noticed the oil light came on during start up. put a bit of oil in and the rattle went away, as well as the oil light
Bike had just come back from first service
I checked the oil level as soon as it came on
and level is bang on the mark

flydnb

Reaction score
are any abs models known to have the dodgy tensioner or did they put the new one on?

Twozup

Reaction score
are any abs models known to have the dodgy tensioner or did they put the new one on?
All the ABS tensioner upgrades apparently have failed after 100miles thus rendering the engine a write-off

Unless you've removed the tank sticker- then apparently it's fine

Weird huh!

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

psychoattractor

Reaction score
For anyone awaiting the cam chain tensioner, there's a bit of a backlog at yamaha due to R1 and Tenere recalls, but the tensioners will be sent out this week.

So my parts man tells me, and he's always spot on

Sent from Scott's iPhone using Tapatalk

UnluckySlats

Reaction score
So are they going to recall the mts tensioner
to or just ignore us and pretend there is no
Issue

Birdy

Reaction score
Took a trip to bike shop on saturday... oooh , we not heard anything about this , even when i told him new part number ! But pop it in next saturday ,any problem an he will put in a warranty claim , so happy for now. Strange thing is , on way home from work tonight, gave it , what is known in the trade as "the berries" , heard a fairly loud rattle..then .... nothing ! The bike has fixed itself lol .Perhaps the tensioner errr.... re tensioned itself? Sounds ok now . will still take it in tho, want a new tensioner just in case... oh and it will be free:eek:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Took a trip to bike shop on saturday... oooh , we not heard anything about this , even when i told him new part number ! But pop it in next saturday ,any problem an he will put in a warranty claim , so happy for now. Strange thing is , on way home from work tonight, gave it , what is known in the trade as "the berries" , heard a fairly loud rattle..then .... nothing ! The bike has fixed itself lol .Perhaps the tensioner errr.... re tensioned itself? Sounds ok now . will still take it in tho, want a new tensioner just in case... oh and it will be free:eek:
I knw that if u give it "the berries"!!! It will tighten of its own accord because that's what it's for but I hear on the grapevine that it doesn't last long so ull b wise to get it sorted soon bud.

stunva

Reaction score
I have the drags in two weeks time, I might get mine looked at prior to then, I already have a busa pulled apart all over the shed from the last drag meet I don't need an MT09 as well.

pipski99

Reaction score
How did you get on with your tensioner replacement dude?

Got a terrible rattle developed on mine which I've recorded and uploading to YouTube now.

Upload done: Youtube video link

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How did you get on with your tensioner replacement dude?

Got a terrible rattle developed on mine which I've recorded and uploading to YouTube now.

Upload done: Youtube video link
Hi Phil. Haven't replaced the cam chain tensioner yet as it is on back order form Yamaha due to EVERYONE else wanting them changed lol. U definitely have a loose tensioner there...! Sounds exactly like mine does.
U also have the same LED's, and rad guard as me lol. Check and see if ur "pass" switch works as the LED's interfered with mine to start with and it wudnt work but the hi-low beam did. Very weird but all sorted now..!