Guess who has "Rattle" on the bike??

Birdy

Reaction score
Probably will TT, how many are having this prob , seems a few just on here ? Could be expensive for Yam , my dealer sold all bar one race blu.. tho that may be because of the gay wheels :cool:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can guarantee its bcoz of the Gay wheels...! Spoke to my mate and we rang Yamaha to ask wot the score was and the official reply was...."not enuf ppl have contacted dealers to say there cam chain tensioner is faulty"...!

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So the cam chain tensioner was replaced today...! Gotta say, I didn't realise how loud it actually was....! Nice to be able to listen to the Akra again without having the "Rattle" goin on in the background lol

jvf1986

Reaction score
Hi!
First of all I'd like to apologize for my very bad English. I'll try to do my best!

I started to hear the rattle noise just a bit after the first service (1000 km aprox). Even though everybody told me that I was being paranoic and that noise was absolutely normal, I wasn't very confident with it. However I kept riding my motorbike everyday just trying to forget that slight but awful rattle noise...
Last friday I discovered this thread (and others related) and noticed that I wasn't the only with the same problem, since I found the issue described exactly as it is:
- Rattle noise coming from the right side of the engine.
- It gets louder next to 4000rpm
- It disappears when the engine gets warmer.

I took some notes about the new Yamaha's replacement for the cam chain tensioner and the way to adjust it manually to describe it to mechanic in the repair shop where I bought the bike. And when I was ready to go there, I started the engine and the sound just wasn't there!
By that time I had already done 3500 km aprox. I've been riding all this week (300 km aprox) and I haven't heard the noise again. Well, it sometimes sounds during the first 5 seconds after starting the engine.

I'm not sure if it is just a matter of luck or it is normal, or even if the noise will come back soon...but I wanted to share it with you, as it can bring a little of hope for those who are as annoyed as I was!

I'l let you know if the noise comes back!

Regards!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi!
First of all I'd like to apologize for my very bad English. I'll try to do my best!

I started to hear the rattle noise just a bit after the first service (1000 km aprox). Even though everybody told me that I was being paranoic and that noise was absolutely normal, I wasn't very confident with it. However I kept riding my motorbike everyday just trying to forget that slight but awful rattle noise...
Last friday I discovered this thread (and others related) and noticed that I wasn't the only with the same problem, since I found the issue described exactly as it is:
- Rattle noise coming from the right side of the engine.
- It gets louder next to 4000rpm
- It disappears when the engine gets warmer.

I took some notes about the new Yamaha's replacement for the cam chain tensioner and the way to adjust it manually to describe it to mechanic in the repair shop where I bought the bike. And when I was ready to go there, I started the engine and the sound just wasn't there!
By that time I had already done 3500 km aprox. I've been riding all this week (300 km aprox) and I haven't heard the noise again. Well, it sometimes sounds during the first 5 seconds after starting the engine.

I'm not sure if it is just a matter of luck or it is normal, or even if the noise will come back soon...but I wanted to share it with you, as it can bring a little of hope for those who are as annoyed as I was!

I'l let you know if the noise comes back!

Regards!
Hi. The tensioner is self adjusting. So it mite be the case that your bike had just done what it is supposed to do and tightened on its own. I believe that another member of this forum called "Birdy" has had the same experience. Just keep an eye on it (or an ear in this case lol)! and see how it goes.

Facebook:-
www.facebook.com/spudrees

Birdy

Reaction score
jvf 1986 exactly the same! Still silent , it has fixed itself, or i am a better mechanic than TT gives me credit for !:)

mudrock

Reaction score
Hi All,

Got the same problem, Around 4,000rpm the engine sounds like a bag of spanners,,

took the bike to Brian Gray at Wycombe, and the chap said it just resonating ? though vibration?,

My bike has only done 1300miles,

The bike is not due for its yearly service until October,

Otherwise I am enjoying the bike.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi All,

Got the same problem, Around 4,000rpm the engine sounds like a bag of spanners,,

took the bike to Brian Gray at Wycombe, and the chap said it just resonating ? though vibration?,

I bet u any money it turns out to be the ctt lol.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Hi All,

I would find another dealer I think, sounds like the old I cant be bothered here is your fob off sandwich to me.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you are right,

But there's not a lot choice around Oxfordshire, might have to pop over to Reading,

Thanks for your replies.

Mud
Come see me in Newbury. pro-bike have sorted a few of our forum members out now

big ade

Reaction score
ive got a little rattle / vibration between 4 / 5000 rpm , could it be the c.c.t. ?

low revs is fine , and give it some stick & its sweet as a nut ,

dealer said if its the cct , it would sound like a bag of shit all the time ?
it doing my head in ........ any positive feed back would be a great help, thanks guys

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is how mine sounded. Pull ur rite leg away from the bike when u think it's making the noise. U can hear it a lot clearer then.

T

THAIGATE14

ive got a little rattle / vibration between 4 / 5000 rpm , could it be the c.c.t. ?

low revs is fine , and give it some stick & its sweet as a nut ,

dealer said if its the cct , it would sound like a bag of shit all the time ?
it doing my head in ........ any positive feed back would be a great help, thanks guys
it will be most noticeable on light throttle, power on and then lift off like when youre approaching a roundabout etc and the chain will rattle till you power back on again. my MT's worse after a 100mile thrash but quiet round town.
200km on the FZ n alls quiet so far.

Jay Cee

Reaction score
Waiting for my new cct ordered last Thursday, there was a trick with the older xj6 you slacken off the cct carefully till it clicks one notch wonder if it works with the MT.

I just tried it and it worked, I just slackened off the two allen bolts till the cct was about 2-3mm and it clicked silence I'm off out for a ride :)

Last edited:

KatanaAl

Reaction score
I have had the tensioner replaced on mine and had an Akropovic system fitted while the bike was in. Had to do the baffle/db killer modification as it was too noisy for me with the baffle out particularly at lower revs. Dealer charged me £750 for the system.
Now my Super Tenere won't start so I am waiting for that to be collected.

Birdy

Reaction score
Had my tensioner replaced a few weeks back at about 2800 miles , up to 5000 now .....guess what... started to rattle again . Totally fucked off, it was a ball ache to get done last time , because it didnt rattle all the time and dealer couldnt hear it ! Now its back , not as noisy as before but a constant rustle/ rattle .Joy of fucking joys , at least they will hear it now .Try to keep my composure at the dealers this time , get it done again , love the bike but it may have to go .