Handlebar muffs

davie

Reaction score
Have any of you guys fitted muffs to your bike and if so how do they look.
I left house at 5am this morning and by the time I got to work the backs of my fingers were sore with the cold.
I am going to buy oxford heated grips, but in my experience with them on my Versys you still get sore tips of your fingers even though your palm is quite warm.
So I am thinking feck it , buy the bloody things,stick them on and take them off next month when the weather improves.

donut

Reaction score
Have any of you guys fitted muffs to your bike and if so how do they look.
I left house at 5am this morning and by the time I got to work the backs of my fingers were sore with the cold.
I am going to buy oxford heated grips, but in my experience with them on my Versys you still get sore tips of your fingers even though your palm is quite warm.
So I am thinking feck it , buy the bloody things,stick them on and take them off next month when the weather improves.
I think you already know how they look - bloody awful BUT they do the job.

nibor

Reaction score
I had the costly Yamaha heated grips fitted by my dealer, and even on the highest setting (No.3) I only get warm palms, they are not very efficient and nowhere as hot as the R & G ones I fitted to my previous bike.

Muffs must be the answer I agree but they do look naff, top boxes also ruin the look of the bike IMO, but they are so practical for storing the helmet/gloves/waterproofs etc. when leaving the bike after a ride out with mates.

Laffli

Reaction score
I had the costly Yamaha heated grips fitted by my dealer, and even on the highest setting (No.3) I only get warm palms, they are not very efficient and nowhere as hot as the R & G ones I fitted to my previous bike.

Muffs must be the answer I agree but they do look naff, top boxes also ruin the look of the bike IMO, but they are so practical for storing the helmet/gloves/waterproofs etc. when leaving the bike after a ride out with mates.
I have the yamaha heated grips and they are good. Although you have 3 settings did you know there are 10 different heat settings for each of the 3 settings. I have mine set at 1 on 2, 2 on 3, and 3 on 5, but setting 5 will burn your hands. Hope this is useful.

Shaun64

Reaction score
I agree with laffli the Yamaha heated grips are red hot,I've had to turn my down from original settings.

nibor

Reaction score
Laffli - I told the Yamaha dealer that fitted them that I didn't think they got hot enough even on the highest setting 3, but he never said that they were in any way adjustable. He did give me the user manual instructions for grip heaters though that came with the kit, but there is no mention that the temperature could be adjusted.

As you have adjusted yours I would appreciate it if you could write down exactly the sequence for adjusting them, as I am not clear what you mean by yours are now set at 1 on 2, 2 on 3 and 3 on 5.
Many thanks for your help.
nibor

Laffli

Reaction score
You can adjust them in the menu on the clock.

nibor

Reaction score
Laffli - The dealer has just confirmed that your heated grips were adjustable using the method you describe because you have an MT 0-9 Tracer which were a standard fitment from new.

Whereas the heated grips fitted by the dealer to my "MT 0-9 abs" were a Yamaha accessory, and they only have the three low (1), medium (2), and high (3) settings, and unfortunately these are not adjustable.

Thanks anyway.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Shaun I have the Oxford grips or so it says on the grip rubbers. They were already fitted to the bike by the previous owner or dealer? But funny though as they do not have the usual oxford grip control unit . The unit is fitted on the front of the tank and not on the bars as usual. Has anyone else got similar. They also seem to only have the one setting which is high unlike my last Oxfords had 4 settings?. A word of advice to anyone considering fitting heated grips. Make sure they are fitted in such a way that when you turn OFF the ignition the grips are turned off as well. My Old Honda CBF 1000 the dealer fitted them wrong and I came back to a flat battery.20170302_131802[1].jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Shaun64

Reaction score
I thought you maybe had the Yamaha one that you can adjust with the clocks,the Yamaha ones for my tracer are excellent plus they just plug into the loom which is a good idea as like you say lew it's no good just conecting go the battery.