Heated Grips

Hexme

Reaction score
I've seen that Yamaha do factory grips for the Tracer, was thinking of using non Yamaha grips, is there a switchable plug already incorporated in the loom that I could make use of?

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
the connectors for the OEM grips are behind the right side tank panel, I'm about to do this with Oxford grips, already have the Yamaha Type C connectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shaun64

Reaction score
I have the Yamaha heated grips on my tracer and they are the best heated grips I've had plus you can customise the setting through the bars & clocks, I wouldn't put aftermarket ones on as the Yamaha ones just plug in and there's no control nob like something off a nuclear reactor.

Hexme

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Shaun, silly question time (sorry!) From what you said they sound the way to go. I know you said you can customise them but do they have a traditional on/off switch if not how do you switch them on and adjust the temperature when riding?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

robin

Reaction score
Looking at the wires on the right hand side, there are 2 connectors one for left and one for right. Yamaha grips fit straight to these! I don't see why you can't plug other grip in and use the computer to switch them on!

Hexme

Reaction score
Thanks Robin, rather like the idea of what Shaun said. Need some more info incase i buy the bike tomorrow!

Shaun64

Reaction score
They don't have separate on off switch it's all done on your left clutch side switch,you can set the 3 levels of heat of the two switches on your left switch gear,when I picked my bike up the high setting was too high cos it was too hot through my winter gloves so I tuned it so it better for me, have a look in your hand book it explain,the grips are easy to customise cos if I can anyone can cos I useless with technology etc,hope this helps.

Hexme

Reaction score
Thanks allot Shaun.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
any aftermarket grips should work with the Yamaha wiring, you just need Yamaha type C connectors, available on ebay. I did the same mod on my Hyperstrada, grips worked off the Ducati wiring and controlled by the start button.
didn't have time today but will try to get it done tomorrow

Hexme

Reaction score
Thanks for the info TB.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
ok, tested the Oxford grips with Yamaha oem wiring, it worked BUT the grips didn't get hot enough even on full, guess the oem grips need less power, might try R&G grips next [emoji848]

Hexme

Reaction score
in the end I just bought the Yamaha ones, expensive but I know there's no messing about. Hope you get it sorted though TB

O

owle

ok, tested the Oxford grips with Yamaha oem wiring, it worked BUT the grips didn't get hot enough even on full, guess the oem grips need less power, might try R&G grips next [emoji848]

Just out of interest did you go in to the settings menu and change the heat settings. not the three bar setting, but the number setting, think it goes from 1 to 10 for each of the three options.

owle

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
Just out of interest did you go in to the settings menu and change the heat settings. not the three bar setting, but the number setting, think it goes from 1 to 10 for each of the three options.

owle
didn't know that owle, will try it tomorrow thanks

robin

Reaction score
Just stick a small but long screw driver under the grip, sword some WD40 in and circle the the bar with the screw driver, then swift again, till the grip just pulls off.

Last edited:
O

owle

didn't know that owle, will try it tomorrow thanks

Let us know how you get on, it would be useful to know for future reference, as i bought the OEM grips, pricey for what they are.

Thanks owle.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
thanks owle, afraid the High temp was already on 10 so looks like Oxford aren't compatible