Hello from new MT09 owner in Northumberland

silverstorm

Reaction score
Picked up my grey year old MT09 a week ago.

20150808_104455.jpg

I had been watching it in my local bike shop for a while and finally decided to sell my TL1000S so I could buy it..........thankfully the bike shop had not advertised it beyond their website as I am sure it would have sold quickly otherwise with all the extras it has on it!

After a week of riding I have found that the bike is nice and light and handles well with the maxton suspension but the gearbox is clunky and the clutch rattles a bit all of which has been reported in other posts and something you can live with and get used to. My TL had a straight bar conversion so riding positions are similar but where the TL surged at lower speeds the MT is nice and smooth. The bike has had the ECU flash and I don't detect any snatching in any of the modes.

The MT is quick but doesn't seem to have the kick of the TL but this might just be the different power delivery its also a bit quieter than the TL which the neighbours will be pleased about when I set off to work on it :)

One of my first jobs was going to be taking out the Akra baffle but the bolt won't come out as the edge of the bolt head catches the outer casing of the Akra :mad:.....need to think of something or contact Akra and see if they have any ideas.....I will hold back on the dremmel for a little while.

Anyway looking forward to being part of a growing community of MT owners :D

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
welcome to the forum, I was up your way today with my bro-in-law, who rides an MT tracey, crossed into Scotland briefly then Newcastleton, otterburn, rothbury etc.

KatanaAl

Reaction score
Hi,
Welcome to the forum, I'm not far away from you in the North East. Had two TL1000S's over the years and loved them, they both had race cans on and sounded incredible.
Think you are going to like the MT09. I found the MT09 too noisy with the baffle out and too quiet with it in, went for the option of sawing it in half mentioned on the forum and it sounds fantastic.
Cheers
Alan

silverstorm

Reaction score
Cheers guys. Roads around Rothbury Otterburn and the borders are great for bikes and more often than not quiet as well but as we all say up here don't tell everyone!
The Akra isn't too bad with the baffle in and I'm getting used to it. My TL made your ears bleed with the baffles out and was as loud as straight through Harley exhausts with them in!

KatanaAl

Reaction score
I think we are really lucky up here, the run up to the Hartside is brilliant and then back via Middleton in Teesdale, Kielder is spectacular and we are close to the Scottish Borders, The Lakes, The Dales and the North York Moors. We do need to keep the shandy drinking Southerners out mind.
Regards
Alan

sjw

Reaction score
Like the rear seat cover. Who makes that one, any ideas ?

silverstorm

Reaction score
Like the rear seat cover. Who makes that one, any ideas ?
Sorry can't help you as the bike came with the cover already fitted. It's a good cover but restricts movement a bit.