Hi There

robbo67

Reaction score
Thought I'd say "Hi!" from an expat in sunny New Zealand. So after not having a bike for a couple of years (zx6r previously), I decided to try one of these MT09 thingy's today. Although only a short time as a test ride, I found it really fun and it also really different.

So I thought I'd try and stir some opinions with a few questions:

1. Is ABS worth it or not? I've never had it on any bike before and someone today said that they didn't like it at all.
  2. With the above in mind what do you reckon the best colour is? Silver ABS version has sold out here but Deep Armour is still available.
  3. Any thoughts on exhaust? The Akrpovich today sounded great, but I've also seen a rather wonderful Two Brothers pipe.

Thanks for your thoughts and for a great forum.

Robbo

lee1980

Reaction score
Hi Welcome,

I got ABS simply because I commute and have done for years, but still can't predict when someone will just pull up to quick or in front etc and in the wet the abs works really well to prevent either end sliding out. I have not had it kick in at speed on hard braking so dont think it affects hard braking either.
There is the added complexity etc in future for servicing and changing lines to braided. I think if I was fair weather rider I would not have it.

I got full Arrow system included in cost of bike looks and sounds great, but think Id go Akra if way buying after.

Darren Reid

Reaction score
Howdy,

Kinda like you I never had ABS on a bike either before but had no option on this one as its only the ABS model thats sold in Ireland. I had it kick in for the first time just during the week. I was travelling on a straight road behind a car and another car puled out in front of us. Q the car in front jamming on and me going heavy on the breaks. I wasn't slowing fast enough so squeezed em some more and in kicked the ABS. Stooped me in the nick of time. Car in front came to a complete stop! I was a strange experience to say the least feeling the ABS on a bike but honestly now my opinion has completely after that incident and I wouldn't go for any bike without it now. If i hadn't had it on the bike could of been a different story. Moral of the story, you just don't know whats going to happen.

I have the deep armour, i like it but colour is a personal preference really.

Hopefully will have the full akra on soon enough. Been researching pipes for ages and seems like the akra suits the mt the best. I like the stubby exhausts so that rules out a lot. I juts think the stubbys suit the bike the best.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Welcome Robbo !
My advice is if you will use your new bike as an everyday commuter then you have to order the ABS model "MT-09A" but if you will use it only as a playbike then the ABS will reduce the limits of your "game".. (no endos, no flicks etc.).
The decision is yours...

robbo67

Reaction score
Cheers guys, yeah think I will go ABS as have no current intention of going to be a stunt rider. Really did like the Akro sound too, as for colour........I'll take another look.

stevecbr

Reaction score
never had a bike with ABS, but I suppose it could save you from a nasty accident.
I have a matt grey, but the colours look ok.
As for exhaust, carbon akra definately (not the yamaha approved titanium)