Ignition barrel issues

boro

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an issue where you put the key in and turn the ignition on start the bike and later realize that your indicators are not working (possibly other stuff like brake lights)?

Twice now this has happened and it turns out the ignition is not turned fully to the right say about another 1/16 of a turn.
The lights come on the dash lights up and the bike starts, now I can't prove if it perhaps had rattled loose or if it just wasn't turned all the way the first time I started the bike up.

It has happened twice now and I drove nearly all the way home today before I realized my indicators and god knows what else wasn't working (paranoid about my brake lights now).

Keen to see if its just me or not...

Last edited:

My Toy

Reaction score
My ignition switch is reluctant to turn to the 2nd lock position where the hazard flashers work. I've put a small amount of 3 in 1 oil down it and it helped for a few days but it appears to be back as it was. I've jiggled the key in the lock whilst moving the steering to try to help it into place but it's not successful all the time. Not had your particular issue tho Boro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

relz

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an issue where you put the key in and turn the ignition on start the bike and later realize that your indicators are not working (possibly other stuff like brake lights)?

Twice now this has happened and it turns out the ignition is not turned fully to the right say about another 1/16 of a turn.
The lights come on the dash lights up and the bike starts, now I can't prove if it perhaps had rattled loose or if it just wasn't turned all the way the first time I started the bike up.

It has happened twice now and I drove nearly all the way home today before I realized my indicators and god knows what else wasn't working (paranoid about my brake lights now).

Keen to see if its just me or not...
Now that you mention it...
I've got this vague recollection (I must be going senile) that I had a problem once becuse the key wasn't turned all the way.
I can't remember if something wasn't working, as in you case, or if the key fell out of the keyhole, but I remember that it really surprised me as I thought that the key was in properly. Later when I turned it a bit more, the problem was fixed.

Matt Grey

Reaction score
My ignition switch is reluctant to turn to the 2nd lock position where the hazard flashers work.
Cant see myself using that park setting. Cant think of any scenarios where I'd want to leave my bike with the hazards running. On my FZ1 the headlight and tailight would be lit in park, but on my MT09 looks like only the hazards & indicators work. And yes I flattened my batttery one time when I accidentally turned the key too far and left the FZ1 outside work with the lights on all day.

relz

Reaction score
Now that you mention it...
I've got this vague recollection (I must be going senile) that I had a problem once becuse the key wasn't turned all the way.
I can't remember if something wasn't working, as in you case, or if the key fell out of the keyhole, but I remember that it really surprised me as I thought that the key was in properly. Later when I turned it a bit more, the problem was fixed.
I remember...
The engine abruptly cut off in the middle of a ride!

At first I assumed that i must have accidentally hit the emergency power switch with my right hand... so i tried pressing it on and re-starting the engine (the bike was still coasting on the road).
When that failed, I realized that the ignition key somehow turned itself a bit off! I definitely didn't hit the key with my left hand during the ride, as its hidden behind the speedometer.
My conclusion was as above, that apoarently i didnt turn it on all the way (until it clicks), and somehow it turned itself off.

Be careful with that key.