I'm getting Street Triple R itches again...

RipGroove

Reaction score
My MT-09 will be 2yrs old in about a months time so I'm seriously considering giving a Street Triple R a go this year. A nice 2014 low mileage one (less than 3k) with Arrow exhaust, belly pan, LED indicators, tail tidy and fly screen can be had for £7000

And I think my MT should fetch a decent amount:

Matte Grey
1 owner (me)
About 3000 miles
Full dealer service history
FlashTune Aftermarket ECU flash (no more jerky throttle, throttle restrictions removed in 5th and 6th gear, starts up in A-mode)
Full Ti Akrapovic Exhaust (never used stock exhaust included also)
Recent Michelin Tyres
Tank Grips
Puig Tail tidy
Genuine Yamaha LED indicators
Genuine Yamaha fly screen
Suspension set up professionally

Absolutely spotless bike, not a mark on it as it's never ever been ridden in the rain!

Anyone here owned both? Opinions? Anyone here sold their MT lately, if so how much did you get for it?

Sent from my iPhone 

Last edited:

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
do it, you won't regret it, I came from a 2014 Street R, I love the bonkersness of the MT but the Street R is in a different league IMHO

RipGroove

Reaction score
I think I've had enough of how crazy the MT is, it's bonkers but the novelty has worn off, I now want a slightly more comfortable and refined bike that doesn't try to wheelie every time the front wheel hits a tiny piece of gravel. I want a bike that allows me to work on my cornering technique without having to worry too much about it just taking off in to outer space whenever it feels like. I feel like the MT is going to bite me soon.

Sent from my iPhone 

RipGroove

Reaction score
I wonder what the OTR price of a 2016 STR will be, maybe I should just go all out. YOLO and all that.

Sent from my iPhone 

RipGroove

Reaction score
I wonder what the OTR price of a 2016 STR will be, maybe I should just go all out. YOLO and all that.

Sent from my iPhone 
Scratch that, they look to be about 11.5k I'll have to settle for a 2014 or 2015.

Sent from my iPhone 

LewFZ1

Reaction score
I have never ridden the Triumph is it any better, I set the suspension up on my own MT09 and do not have a problem, I adjust my riding to suit the road conditions, but will admit my best hooligan days are well behind me now

RipGroove

Reaction score
Apparently yes the STR is much better out of the box with regards to suspension. I've not ridden one but have not read or heard a bad word against them, especially where handling is concerned.

Sent from my iPhone 

RipGroove

Reaction score
My MT has never felt proper planted, it's always felt like it's right on the edge and very skittish and edgy and yes I had the suspension setup professionally by a race place. I want something that just flows now. I've had Supermotos for hoolaganism and I've now had the MT for all out craziness so I think it's time for something slightly more refined.

Sent from my iPhone 

Stripy

Reaction score
My MT-09 will be 2yrs old and owned by one careful lady owner.
Absolutely spotless bike, not a mark on it as it's never ever been ridden in the rain!

Anyone here owned both? Opinions? Anyone here sold their MT lately, if so how much did you get for it?
I've just sold mine, to get a new MT-09, got 4k, but mine had also 14.5k miles on the clock and a scratching on the engine cases
I've had the Street Triple R in 2012. the new design are ace, possibly better build quality on the Triumph even. But when it comes to dealer kindness, servicecost (only service your Trumpet when you're remortgaging!) and warranty claims, Yama wins hands down.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Where you looking at the SPEED, and not the Street???
SPEED R is 11.5K, STREET R is "only" 8199
Possibly. I did see that the 2015 STR was £8199 but can't find a price for the 2016 version anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone 

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
suspension wise, I found STR was set too soft out the box (bought it new) but had it set up properly for my weight and riding style and it was like a different bike, cornered like it was on rails and wasn't upset by the slightest bump/ripple in the tarmac.
All my mates say I was "much" quicker on the STR and they're right, to be honest I was quicker on my ER6N than on the MT09 through the twisty stuff.
would have kept the STR but after 7 months, 16,000 miles and almost £1,000 on servicing it was killing my pocket... servicing MUST be done by a Triumph dealer to keep the warranty, so go for 2 year old low mileage if you do high mileage, 6k service is around £250 and 12k service is £500+

MT 6k service was £95 and I've serviced it every 3k myself since then, now on 17k miles. It's going in for warranty claim again on the oil cooler pump (£400+ part) because my dealer is flexible enough to put the claim in even though I only buy parts from them, Triumph (Fowlers and Bevans) wouldn't give me the time of day.

That is the down side of owning a Triumph :(

RipGroove

Reaction score
suspension wise, I found STR was set too soft out the box (bought it new) but had it set up properly for my weight and riding style and it was like a different bike, cornered like it was on rails and wasn't upset by the slightest bump/ripple in the tarmac.
All my mates say I was "much" quicker on the STR and they're right, to be honest I was quicker on my ER6N than on the MT09 through the twisty stuff.
would have kept the STR but after 7 months, 16,000 miles and almost £1,000 on servicing it was killing my pocket... servicing MUST be done by a Triumph dealer to keep the warranty, so go for 2 year old low mileage if you do high mileage, 6k service is around £250 and 12k service is £500+

MT 6k service was £95 and I've serviced it every 3k myself since then, now on 17k miles. It's going in for warranty claim again on the oil cooler pump (£400+ part) because my dealer is flexible enough to put the claim in even though I only buy parts from them, Triumph (Fowlers and Bevans) wouldn't give me the time of day.

That is the down side of owning a Triumph :(
Thanks. I probably only do 1500 - 2000 miles a year so servicing cost should be OK. I can definitely see how you could be quicker on an ER6N or Street Triple. The MT is technically a quick bike but actually getting it from A to B round the twisties can be a handful and a real balancing act.

Sent from my iPhone 

Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
If the 2016 is actually 'only' £8199 I might actually save a little longer and aim to sell the MT mid Summer and go buy a brand new Street Triple.

Sent from my iPhone 

LewFZ1

Reaction score
I would challenge the legality of Triumph saying they are the only ones who can service a Triumph otherwise you will invalidate the warranty. As long as you use ANY dealer be it Yamaha, BMW or Honda as long as they use genuine Triumph spares and follow the service procedure Triumph cannot invalidate the warranty. That is fact and the law. I have a friend who had an issue with the rip off costs for servicing his Z1000SX Kawasaki so he took it to his local Honda dealer who were delighted to service it for him at nearly 1/2 the cost. He had a warranty claim and Kawasaki said no , he took them to court and won his case. It is something to do with the sale of goods act?
As I say as long as the Garage servicing the bike have trained technicians and use genuine spares for the bike Triumph cannot invalidate the warranty or any other Marque either, Trust me I am a GIN & TONIC Lawyer :cool:

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
the law about any vat registered garage servicing your vehicle wasn't applied to bikes, I had this argument with Fowlers, they are the least flexible dealership I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Spoke to Triumph today, currently they are offering a '16 Street Triple R with nose cone, belly pan and seat cowl for £8199 on the road, this offer is only valid until the end of March though and it's doubtful I'll sell my MT that quick so I'll have to miss out on that and take my chances with regards to offers when I've sold my MT.

Sent from my iPhone 