Is the MT-09 the best bike I've had?

Locksmith

Reaction score
I'm not usually one for performance modding. Whilst I loved the std MT I felt I wanted to change it for the better.

Ohlins shock and fork springs have transformed the handling. I still have some fettling to do but its all good.

Kevs o2 controller and an EJK fuel controller have turned the drive into what you would expect it to be instead of the emissions controlled strangulated beast that that rolls out of the factory gates.

After an hour of my first proper test (post fueling mods) I realised I was still in STD mode. Flicked it to A mode and f$$K me, what an awesome bike the MT is. I didn't think it could be much better but shoot, it is!!!!

Damm I feel the need to get my first dyno session now !

My bike is purely a play thing. I don't commute or deliberately head out in cold or wet conditions, so, for me, this is now quite possibly the best bike I have ever owned.

Thank you Yamaha and thank you to all the modders and their advice. :)

lee1980

Reaction score
I wish mine was just for fun, but then I would probably hardly use it, on the bad side it gets filthy as does any bike doh, cleaned so well yesterday now covered again after this mornings ride in wet, I have to say in B mode in wet its superb, the lightly damped works actually feeling better as not to stiff, riding position is great for commuting to and the S20's are more than grippy enough to!

marksim

Reaction score
Coming from sportsbike background and still having a R6 for the track and others i think that with the mods ive done.
I honestly think this is the best roadbike ive ever had never mind rode.
Theres not much left standard on it though.
It is also the first triple ive had and think it is the best of both worlds for road riding.
A MT in capable hands with sorted suspension will give alot of the sportsbike riders a shock this year LOL

flipper

Reaction score
Fun, fun, fun. A mode is FUN. Love the handling, the leg room with the flat seat fitted, view from the high riding position, suspension is now ace, smooth and grunty with the O2 mod. I love this as much as I loved my LC's but this has better brakes and handling and won't seize.

marksim

Reaction score
Fun, fun, fun. A mode is FUN. Love the handling, the leg room with the flat seat fitted, view from the high riding position, suspension is now ace, smooth and grunty with the O2 mod. I love this as much as I loved my LC's but this has better brakes and handling and won't seize.
Haha Too True,
i proddy raced the LC and have a RD400F and RGV 250 now

Colton123

Reaction score
Love my mt to will a power commander sort the issues out with the fueling or not? Did the EJK fuel controller make a lot of difference

Locksmith

Reaction score
To be honest, I had no issues with the main fuelling once I'd fitted the G2 throttle tamer which stopped the inadvertent throttle on/offs when hitting bumps in the road.
I only went for the EJK because I'd had a beer and one was going cheap in the for sale section :) lol
Having said that it seems to transformed it into a rocket ship according to my bum dyno!

I would say a G2 and kevs o2 mod are all you need really.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's fine if you don't want to unlock any of the goodies. Personally I think it's a completely different bike (for the better)! After its flashed

Locksmith

Reaction score
Sunday morning, the weather was grey and 6 degrees but the roads were dry.
The long awaited proper test was upon me :)

F+ck me what a bike.....................

110 miles of gob smacking fun :)

Just pulls in any gear straight to warp factor 4.
Burbles along on town roads no problem.
Still need to fettle the front suspension a bit but need to wait for the warm roads when I can really chuck it about a bit more.

Really had to hold myself back, as overcooked it a bit a couple of times, but the front brake saved the day although the colder tyre was squirming a bit, but the ABS never clicked in so couldn't have been that bad!!

After the mods, fuel wise, did around 112/3 miles and one bar left. Not sure how long till it starts flashing but it may use a little more fuel now but I don't care :)

This is the best bike I've ever had (probably).

Fluke

Reaction score
That's fine if you don't want to unlock any of the goodies. Personally I think it's a completely different bike (for the better)! After its flashed
I've got to agree with Triple that the flashing made a shed load of difference but for me the suspension also had to change.
The shock has been swapped for the ZX10 unit and that has really helped, I'm just waiting to fit the Ohlins springs up front and to throw on some PR4's for the transformation to be complete.
I love the look too and as soon as the integrated tail light arrived I'l post some saucy pics, cos let's face it, it's got to look good too.
As much as I love this ridiculous looney machine, is it the best bike I've ever owned?
Probably, but when money is no object (just after hell freezes over, I'd imagine) I want to put an MT09 engine in a FZ1 Fazer cos as much as I loved my fazer, the engine was a disappointment.

Locksmith

Reaction score
I miss the wind protection of the FZ1 Fazer for sure, but for 99 percent of my ride I don't need it.
Also the Fazer is quiet a heavy lardy old beast. It used to tick all my boxes but the MT does that now :)

Fluke

Reaction score
I miss the wind protection of the FZ1 Fazer for sure, but for 99 percent of my ride I don't need it.
Also the Fazer is quiet a heavy lardy old beast. It used to tick all my boxes but the MT does that now :)
Yep, the fazer is definitely a lot lardier than the MT.
Maybe the solution is an MT and a MT powered Fazer:D