Kev's "Anti throttle surge mod"!

KAZU

Reaction score
Does some guy know the parts number of Diag tool for MT-09 EU model?

Kinjane

Reaction score
Seems like this map will digitally slow initial throttle response and also remove the hesitation caused by the very lean mixture...
Well as we now know the remap doesn't alter the mixture, so weak fueling is still causing hesitation on fixed throttle because our UK E5 pump fuel needs a stoichiometric AFR richer than the 14.7:1 the MT09 receives during closed loop fueling. E10 actually requires 14.08:1 so it could get worse if/when that gets dispensed at the pumps.

Anyway I came across the Yamaha MT-09 FZ-09 MT09 FZ09 O2 Controller Fuel Mod on €bay as a cheap way to solve this exact problem which I have on my bike.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Well as we now know the remap doesn't alter the mixture, so weak fueling is still causing hesitation on fixed throttle because our UK E5 pump fuel needs a stoichiometric AFR richer than the 14.7:1 the MT09 receives during closed loop fueling. E10 actually requires 14.08:1 so it could get worse if/when that gets dispensed at the pumps.

Anyway I came across the Yamaha MT-09 FZ-09 MT09 FZ09 O2 Controller Fuel Mod on €bay as a cheap way to solve this exact problem which I have on my bike.
Why not just fit an EJK fuel controller, it does the same thing but is infinitely tweakable, cheap too.

Sent from my iPhone

Kinjane

Reaction score
The issue I have is the hesitancy/stumbling/missing or however best describes what I can feel whenever I'm riding at slower speeds which only occurs when running in closed loop.

Unfortunately the EJK fuel controller only addresses open loop fueling. There is quite an informative link on the current £63.35 €bay listing about the 02 Controller

Last edited:

kevxtx

Reaction score
If you guys need any info on the O2 controller let me know.

flipper

Reaction score
flipper whats your nitron shock like ?
ummmmmmmmm.............. lovely?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the OE unit. I have the Sport, which has one adjuster for compression and rebound. Also has preload at the bottom and adjustable length. Takes half an hour to fit. It's a proper de Carbon unit, not a shitty emulsion jobbie.

Was £400. I reckon good value for money. Oh and sprung for my weight unlike the out of the box Ohlins.

don't get me wrong - you can buy better, but at a far higher price. for the road I find this is all I need.

Last edited:

marksim

Reaction score
Would this be the Kev of kevmod fame on the XT forum? I did the Kev mod on my sons XT and it worked awesome!
And Kev from the KTM forum,
this guy has helped loads of people and certainly knows his stuff.

kevxtx

Reaction score
Yes it is me guys, got a MT09 as a run around & am busy playing with it, the fuelling was bugging me so I build one of my O2 controllers especially for the 09 & it works a treat, I still got a KTM sold my 990 SMR & SMT & bought a 1290 Super Duke which is great fun & have modded it big time gone from a STD 154 rear HP to around 170 rear wheel HP & will be back on the Dyno in two weeks time testing different length stacks looking for more power.

Back to the 09 there is no one out their besides Dyno jet that have addresses the closed loop lean 14.7:1 A/F ratio & that includes the latest 2015 models where there are gains in correcting the 14.7:1 to 13.4:1 A/F ratio which is my controller spec, I run my controller a little richer than Dyno jets O2 optimizer as I found I could get the bike smoother than using their spec's, I found the sweet spot by using my adjustable master controller & then built the 09's off that spec, as always all my mods come with a money back guaranty as I know they work & put my money where my mouth is. They are on EBay at the moment just gauging if there is any interest out there for this type of mod on the MT/FZ-09's

7416kevxtx | eBay

The 09 O2 controller is slight different to the rest & takes a little longer to build so the price is only slightly higher to cover that cost.

Last edited:

Locksmith

Reaction score
I think I'm sold on Kevs controller, just need to get the yam ecu update done first.
That's not happening until I can stand in the garage without shivering though :)
Perhaps I should pop over to Brisbane for free fitting :lol

kevxtx

Reaction score
I think I'm sold on Kevs controller, just need to get the yam ecu update done first.
That's not happening until I can stand in the garage without shivering though :)
Perhaps I should pop over to Brisbane for free fitting :lol
Pop over any time mate, I am sitting here in my shorts with all the doors & windows open. The Controller will work no mater what flash is in a ECU this is because no one has sorted the closed loop A/F ratio to get rid of the surging & part throttle snatching.

Locksmith

Reaction score
Jealous about your weather!

I thought I read on the ebay description that the latest ecu flash should be installed?

lee1980

Reaction score
Does this just plug in and use then? I guess not wise to use on a bike under warranty still?

kevxtx

Reaction score
For best results I recommend that the latest OEM flash for the 2014 models be installed as the flash addresses the throttle % & the O2 controller addresses the closed loop A/F ratio, the Controller will work fine on the old OEM flash it has been tested & works well, with the best all round riding results are from both been installed.

The O2 controller has been tested & works with:

2014 OEM flash
2014 Updated reflash
2015 OEM flash
All re-flashed ECU's, so far as no one has altered the closed loop A/F ratio.

Any modification to a motorcycle under warranty may affect the warranty of the part been replace if proven the that modified part or mod cause the failure, I have been selling these O2 controller for 4 years now & have never had any problems with any warranty claims, a Yamaha dealer here in Brisbane buys & sells my controllers to their customers for the XT660X/R/Z, KTM 690 all models & now the MT's.

The mod is 100% plug & play no cutting of any wires I only use OEM connectors, the mod can be removed & the bike put back to standard at anytime.

Last edited: