Mine is going !

groundhog

Reaction score
Sadly things just didn't work out with me and the Tracer. It's a great bike in may ways and I have been trying to convince myself it's the bike for me but I realise it just isn't. So I am chopping it in for a Super Tenere which I had been eyeing up for a long time until the Tracer caught my eye and in hindsight I should have gone for one and not the Tracer. Road testing one tomorrow to make sure I like it but I'm pretty sure I will. I've lost a bit of cash but the dealers are doing me a really good deal. I am happy to swallow a bit of a loss to have a bike I am really happy with.

So all you Tracer and other MT09 owners keep enjoying your bikes and ride safe.

BUZZ

Reaction score
That's a shame..what didn't suit you?
I am picking mine up on wed and can't wait..
Hope you get on with the new one:cool:

KatanaAl

Reaction score
I've got an MT09 and a Super Tenere, was thinking about trading the MT09 in for a Tracer.
Definately keeping the Super Tenere it is a fantastic bike.

groundhog

Reaction score
That's a shame..what didn't suit you?
I am picking mine up on wed and can't wait..
Hope you get on with the new one:cool:
Difficult to put my finger on it, I just don't feel comfortable with it, I think it's mainly that I'm so used to heavier bikes and I also realise I want an out and out long distance tourer rather than a sports tourer, hence the Tenere.

Enjoy your Tracer I'm sure you will love it

groundhog

Reaction score
I've got an MT09 and a Super Tenere, was thinking about trading the MT09 in for a Tracer.
Definately keeping the Super Tenere it is a fantastic bike.
I've always fancied a Tenere and the Tracer completely side tracked me ! But I am pretty sure the Tenere is going to fit the bill for me

Clint Kingston

Reaction score
I just recently bought a Tenere to go with my MT09.

IMG_0998.jpg

Loving it!!!

The two together

IMG_0569.jpg

Swagger

Reaction score
Yep ... you've made a good choice. The Tenere is a way better machine ... I've got one, had it for nearly five years now. It's a superb tourer (just come back from a trip to the Somme battlefields). Get it re flashed and a decent can and you'll never look back.

groundhog

Reaction score
Yep ... you've made a good choice. The Tenere is a way better machine ... I've got one, had it for nearly five years now. It's a superb tourer (just come back from a trip to the Somme battlefields). Get it re flashed and a decent can and you'll never look back.
I road tested it today and love it so the deal is done and I should have it in a week or so. Already thought about a different can, but how do I go about getting it re flashed and what will that do?
I have very limited knowledge of the electronics, all my previous bikes had carbs and no electronics to speak of !

AvonDrei

Reaction score
Groundhog: nothing wrong with either you or the Tracer!
It's all about the "good feeling" so good luck with the Super Tenere :)

The most important is to keep rolling on two wheels!

Swagger

Reaction score
If you are able get a decent can from a top brand supplier. The XT is a big heavy bike and anything you can do like reducing weight of bits that they knew you'd be changing is a good thing. I personally run a Yoshi ... it's ~50% of the OEM can. As for the re flash ... contact Velox racing (talk to them and tell them precisely what you have and want .. they'll do the rest. It's just gone up a bit to £180 but I can assure you that the difference is phenomenal. You remove the ECU and send it to Velox ... they get it back to you in an agonising week or so. Job done. Very, very straight forward. The new XT is already a step change from mine as they've listened to our needs and wants and reworked the motor etc to address the issues that weren't even really issues. It's a serious bike and can be used to the extreme ... we know, we've done it.

groundhog

Reaction score
Groundhog: nothing wrong with either you or the Tracer!
It's all about the "good feeling" so good luck with the Super Tenere :)

The most important is to keep rolling on two wheels!
I couldn't agree more, you hit the nail right on the head there. It's absolutely all about the feeling

groundhog

Reaction score
If you are able get a decent can from a top brand supplier. The XT is a big heavy bike and anything you can do like reducing weight of bits that they knew you'd be changing is a good thing. I personally run a Yoshi ... it's ~50% of the OEM can. As for the re flash ... contact Velox racing (talk to them and tell them precisely what you have and want .. they'll do the rest. It's just gone up a bit to £180 but I can assure you that the difference is phenomenal. You remove the ECU and send it to Velox ... they get it back to you in an agonising week or so. Job done. Very, very straight forward. The new XT is already a step change from mine as they've listened to our needs and wants and reworked the motor etc to address the issues that weren't even really issues. It's a serious bike and can be used to the extreme ... we know, we've done it.
Cheers mate I will look into all of that. If you change the can do you have to change the mapping or alter the fueling or does it just slip on and run as normal ?

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
Cheers mate I will look into all of that. If you change the can do you have to change the mapping or alter the fueling or does it just slip on and run as normal ?
In general the answer is no. The system is self analysing ... to a point. I know people that run the Tenere with an aftermarket can and no re-mapping. The bikes work well enough. I have access to a Dyno so always tweek mine to suit the mods. The early model bikes were, most consider, very coarse and you could tell that they had been 'stifled' in order to meet emissions requirements (this is pretty much the case with all new bikes these days). There was a lot of fiddling going on in order to get best out of them culminating in the re flash. Once this has been done the beast is well and truly unleashed. The current re engineered models (mid 2013 onwards) are a significant improvement out of the box ... but still really benefit from the re flash.

J.J.B.

Reaction score
Sadly things just didn't work out with me and the Tracer. It's a great bike in may ways and I have been trying to convince myself it's the bike for me but I realise it just isn't. So I am chopping it in for a Super Tenere which I had been eyeing up for a long time until the Tracer caught my eye and in hindsight I should have gone for one and not the Tracer. Road testing one tomorrow to make sure I like it but I'm pretty sure I will. I've lost a bit of cash but the dealers are doing me a really good deal. I am happy to swallow a bit of a loss to have a bike I am really happy with.

So all you Tracer and other MT09 owners keep enjoying your bikes and ride safe.
It's a shame it didn't work out for you, I'm 24 hours into ownership and hoping all will be well but my first ride yesterday left me a little underwhelmed. Yamaha have not made the purchasing process as enjoyable as it should be and I was also riding in B mode, in the rain while sticking to the running-in guidance.

My last bike was a GTR1400 but having been living and working abroad for five years with no bike except a scooter, I wanted something smaller and more manageable, plus I'm really only a fair-weather biker anyway. Compared with the GS800, new Versys or new Crossrunner, the Tracer seemed to be the best bet although a screen and seat mod are first on the list.

Good luck with the new Tenere, it looks like a great option all round.

groundhog

Reaction score
It's a shame it didn't work out for you, I'm 24 hours into ownership and hoping all will be well but my first ride yesterday left me a little underwhelmed. Yamaha have not made the purchasing process as enjoyable as it should be and I was also riding in B mode, in the rain while sticking to the running-in guidance.

My last bike was a GTR1400 but having been living and working abroad for five years with no bike except a scooter, I wanted something smaller and more manageable, plus I'm really only a fair-weather biker anyway. Compared with the GS800, new Versys or new Crossrunner, the Tracer seemed to be the best bet although a screen and seat mod are first on the list.

Good luck with the new Tenere, it looks like a great option all round.
Cheers mate and I hope you get to love your Tracer

Cobweb

Reaction score
My Tracer is going as well. I've had it just 1 month and that's all it's taken to find out it's not the bike for me.

I thought getting the Tracer was the way to go after 18 months and 7500 miles on my MT09 and with the Tracer's offer of greater comfort and wind protection for the long trips it sounded just what I needed but I was less than impressed with both. I've never felt comfortable and the seating position just doesn't suit me, the fairing rather than giving the wind protection I was expecting just caused turbulence and made every ride a nightmare and it just doesn't have the grin factor of the naked bike.
The answer was simple, take the hit on my bank balance and chop it in for a Street Rally which is what I've done and I pick up my new bike this week.

I'm sure the Tracer will suit many riders but sadly I'm not one of them.

Pool Boy

Reaction score
Did none of you guys test the Tracer before buying one?
I can't imagine parting with that sort of cash unless I'd tried it out first (but then, I'm from the poor North of the country)

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My Tracer is going as well. I've had it just 1 month and that's all it's taken to find out it's not the bike for me.

I thought getting the Tracer was the way to go after 18 months and 7500 miles on my MT09 and with the Tracer's offer of greater comfort and wind protection for the long trips it sounded just what I needed but I was less than impressed with both. I've never felt comfortable and the seating position just doesn't suit me, the fairing rather than giving the wind protection I was expecting just caused turbulence and made every ride a nightmare and it just doesn't have the grin factor of the naked bike.
The answer was simple, take the hit on my bank balance and chop it in for a Street Rally which is what I've done and I pick up my new bike this week.

I'm sure the Tracer will suit many riders but sadly I'm not one of them.
You will love riding the SR...
It's so different to the MT but in a good way