MT-09 vs. MT-07?

Ansan

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm hoping that people who have ridden both bikes can give me a little feedback between the 07 and the 09. I posted this already over in a FZ-09 forum, but I don't think too many North Americans have had a chance to ride the MT-07 yet.

I currently live in Seoul, Korea and have ridden a Hyosung GT650 for the last two years (it's basically a cruder version of an SV650/Gladius). The bike has been great, but I am looking to upgrade to something a little more exciting and better made. I test rode a 09 very briefly in heavy traffic and could not really get a feel for just how crazy the engine is. From the reviews I've been reading, the 09 sounds like it is a monster and probably has more power than I will ever need. Unfortunately, there aren't many video reviews in English yet of the 07 other than the press launch.

To me, the 07 looks a little better, has gotten better reviews, and has a better fueling range for sport-touring. I ride in a combination of about 30% heavy city traffic and 70% weekend sprints through the mountains. I sometimes like to go fast and ride in a group with liter bikes, but I am certainly nothing more than an intermediate rider. I occasionally like to carry a pillion as well, which might be a problem because I am a big guy (5'10", 230 pounds with gear.) The 07's haven't arrived yet in Korea, and I'm not sure I will be able to test them for anything more than 10 minutes in city traffic.

So here's my question: is the MT-07's engine noticeably more powerful than an SV650? I'm not looking for a race bike, but I want to buy something that will keep me happily entertained for many years to come. The MT-07 seems like a much wiser choice for my needs, but I'm just worried that I may later regret not going for the bigger bike when I had the chance. Any input would be greatly appreciated- thanks!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the 09. I have ridden the 07 a few times and can honestly say it isn't a patch on the 09. The engine is way down on power and torque and doesn't have that "triple" sound being a twin. The pillion seat is raised so the pillions knees (5ft 8")! were round his neck and hit me in the back/sides when we banked over in the turns and also under braking. It also didn't pull like ud want it to with a pillion on.
With regards to it being compared to an SV. I wud have an 07 but when u throw the 09 into the mix....09 all the way

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Facebook:-
www.facebook.com/spudrees

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Im afraid I havent ridden the MT-07 or the SV650, on paper the 07 has slightly more BHP and Torque than the SV, but its also 10kg's heavier. I don't think you would notice much performance increase between your SV and the MT-07, although of course they are two different bikes. There are a load of english reviews online and YouTube for the 07. I'm obviously bias toward the MT-09. It certainly doesn't have too much power, but plenty to keep you entertained. There are MT-07 forums you can ask about the performance:

Yamaha MT-07 / FZ-07 Forums

Yamaha MT-07 (2014-current) Motorbike Review | MCN

[video=youtube;3mxV4uN1to4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mxV4uN1to4[/video]

[video=youtube;htRg9Vky3VA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htRg9Vky3VA[/video]

Birdy

Reaction score
They getting good reviews, but to be honest maybe a bit light weight for a gentleman of 230 pounds :rolleyes: 09 much more GRUNT , but you cant accuse either bike of being a tourer or good pillion carrier . Best to think of it as a pure solo , fun bike and you will not be dissapointed :cool:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They getting good reviews, but to be honest maybe a bit light weight for a gentleman of 230 pounds :rolleyes: 09 much more GRUNT , but you cant accuse either bike of being a tourer or good pillion carrier . Best to think of it as a pure solo , fun bike and you will not be dissapointed :cool:
^^^^^wot he said^^^^^

Ansan

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the excellent feedback. I think the best mod I could make for any bike I decide to get would be to lose 40 pounds of "excess rider" :)

In hindsight, I think watching "Cager"'s MT-09 review on YouTube might have been giving me the wrong impression of the bike. He made it seem like the '09 was way too much bike to handle, but I later found out that he is used to riding a Honda NC700X, which only puts out about 50hp. It makes sense that he found the '09 to be so intimidating because it's over twice the horsepower that he is used to.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the excellent feedback. I think the best mod I could make for any bike I decide to get would be to lose 40 pounds of "excess rider" :)

In hindsight, I think watching "Cager"'s MT-09 review on YouTube might have been giving me the wrong impression of the bike. He made it seem like the '09 was way too much bike to handle, but I later found out that he is used to riding a Honda NC700X, which only puts out about 50hp. It makes sense that he found the '09 to be so intimidating because it's over twice the horsepower that he is used to.
Make no mistake about it... The 09 is a beast but if u play nice she won't bite u in the ass...! It's all down to the rider at the end of the day and if ur used to gripping and ripping with ur rite wrist ud best learn how to hold on lol

Cams

Reaction score
I rode the 09 and then the 07, and I have to agree, the 09 is far superior. The 07 is a great bike and it handles especially well, but the 09 is brilliant and exciting. I would take the plunge and buy bigger if you can. I think the 07 would feel uninspiring after a year or two.

PS - I changed from an ER6F and I've not been scared by the power upgrade changing to the 09, just mega excited. Can't wipe the smile off my face :D

Stripy

Reaction score
a bit light weight for a gentleman of 230 pounds :rolleyes:
I beg you pardon, birdy...
A real man start measuring when over 100kg :p
I've had pillion on with mine MT-09, and then the weight was above 200kg... and not a problem, stable as a solid wall, surprisingly the suspension seemed to behave better with extra load.

M

MT account

blimey! if hes used to riding a honda handbag 700 then id reckon a FS1E should be scarey!

Cypher

Reaction score
I haven't ridden the MT-07 but a guy that had just test rode both of them back to back started talking to me while I was at the dealer.

I spoke to him when he got off the MT-07 and he could only say good things about it. Said it was a nice bike, plenty of power but we didn't have much time as he had to jump on the MT-09.

He came back almost grinning. Said that MT-09 just felt so much more powerful and better. Said once you've tried them both 07 just feels underpowered and you can't pull away from traffic lights as fast as with 09.

I reckon ride them both and who knows you might like one more than the other. Maybe you feel that 07 is nimbler or its seat is more comfortable or whatever else. Reading stats online is one thing but actually trying them is different. 2 minutes were enough for me to realise that MT-09 was the bike for me, might be the same for you :)

Edit:
Just read that you got mislead by Cager's review. I can only say this is my first big bike. My previous one was, sit down, ... CBF125 :) So if I can handle the power the you can too. I'm not having any issues riding it at all (mechanical issues is a different story :) ), it's tame when I'm filtering in traffic and it's a beast when I'm pulling away at the traffic lights. It does what I tell it to and as long as you don't go over your limits you'll be alright.

Last edited:

Birdy

Reaction score
I beg you pardon, birdy...
A real man start measuring when over 100kg :p
I've had pillion on with mine MT-09, and then the weight was above 200kg... and not a problem, stable as a solid wall, surprisingly the suspension seemed to behave better with extra load.
Must have been a bit cosy tho mate ! Is your wife/mate over 100kg as well then ?? Should have bought a Goldwing mate ! lol :p

M

MT account

i think youre better off comparing a street triple to an MT09 and a ER6 to an MT07. i get off the ER after 5 months riding and the striple has me laughing like a maniac after the 1st 3 gears, its a no comparison to me but both bikes do what they do really well.

Colton123

Reaction score
I rode both bikes mate the 07 felt ok went quite well but the front end felt vague on cornering . Then rode the 09 and thought wow in another league and brought one .

Y

youngy

I test rode both. I found the 07 to be very light and flickable. Footrests are too far forward for my liking, like the FZ6 before it, otherwise a fantastic little bike. I found the back end very bouncy and the front just fine.

The 09 will hopefully keep me entertained for longer, but it was a very tough choice.

slowrider

Reaction score
In short:
I agree with Triple T and Cypher. Respect the bike of what it can do and you will just enjoy riding like never before.

The longer version:
I rode a honda CBR 250r 2011 model for 2 years before I got my hands to the MT09. In the two years of having the 250, I had test rides on MV Agusta 675 and Streetfighter 848. Both are a lot more powerful bikes than the small honda but I didn't feel overwhelmed, I was actually rather disappointed of the engine department of the two. I was expecting something MORE from above 600cc engines. Then came along the MT09 and that was it. Plus the savings you can make to well... put some accessories, it was easy to make up my mind.

I had too, thoughts of getting a decent bike for my daily commuting with my gf on my back but not hurting my back or wrist by leaning to much forward, getting older is a PAIN, so no sports bike. I also wanted to have a ride with no worries on getting up to speed or running away from the traffic with a passenger on. And I did not want to regret getting a ride with 'I thought it would have enough power for me' or here you are on the traffic light waiting for the red to turn green and then come along someone with a bigger and nicer bike and most of them got loud exhaust just to show off!!! and make other riders feel damn... I wish... (what I have experienced when I was riding the 250 which I still have and love :D)

so MT09 was the answer and I keep thinking it is one of the best commuter in bright sunlight or heavy rain.

MT09-LOZ

Reaction score
I went to the Yamaha dealer with the intention of buying the 07. But after riding both the 07 and the 09, the 07 just felt quite small for me as I am 6 foot 2. If I hadn't taken the 09 out for a spin I would have been really happy with the 07, but once on the 09 I new that was the one for me.

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I have ridden both bike and agree with the majority, the 07 is simple to ride, and great for computing or beginners, but the 09 has so much more to offer. Power, Torque, Sound and I think looks.

anthony1979

Reaction score
I also rode the MT07 recently, I think it is a great beginner bike for someone progressing from a 250 or a 400. It felt very light and nimble, also had enough power to have fun with but is by no means any match for the MT09. I am glad I chose the MT09 as after riding the MT07 I could see myself getting a little bored with its lack of power. There is no chance of that happening with my MT09 though !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mirdif64

Reaction score
I test rode the 07 when my 09 was being serviced and i thought it was a great wee bike. If I was buying one just to mostly commute and occasional weekend ride I'd go with the 07, but to have one as a leisure toy, I'll stick with the 09.
My brother's wife has an XJ6 and they thought about getting an 07 instead. This would be a sensible swap, as she'd have the same sort of power but a lighter, more flickable bike.