New member thinking of getting the mt 09

Jess24845030

Reaction score
Hi everyone new here I,m thinking of getting an mt09 I called a local dealer in Swindon to arrange a test ride and have been waiting for a call back but seems they don't want to sell a bike . Not sure what to do and your input would be good . First is it sensible to wait for the 2015 models to hit the shops has the suspension been upgraded any over 2014 . Also ecu fuelling should be better but I have read on hear that most of late 2014 models should be better anyway . I think you could save a few hundred pounds if I got the 2014 model . Looking at either deep armour or orange . And not sur wheat her to go abs or standard does anyone with the abs model think it was worth the extra cash . Sorry for all the questions and still waiting for a call back Suns out come on blade group in Swindon. Thanks to all .

flipper

Reaction score
Suspension is the same on all except the Tracer.fuelling remap can be had if it's not got the latest.

If it were me I'd phone round every dealer in the country for the best price on a 2014 bike and get it delivered.

Abs if you like.had it on a Bandit but it never came into play.can't say I ever wished for it but each ti their own.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Hi everyone new here I,m thinking of getting an mt09 I called a local dealer in Swindon to arrange a test ride and have been waiting for a call back but seems they don't want to sell a bike . Not sure what to do and your input would be good . First is it sensible to wait for the 2015 models to hit the shops has the suspension been upgraded any over 2014 . Also ecu fuelling should be better but I have read on hear that most of late 2014 models should be better anyway . I think you could save a few hundred pounds if I got the 2014 model . Looking at either deep armour or orange . And not sur wheat her to go abs or standard does anyone with the abs model think it was worth the extra cash . Sorry for all the questions and still waiting for a call back Suns out come on blade group in Swindon. Thanks to all .
IMO you wont regret if you choose the MT-09.
Its an amazzing bike and you have to ride it just to understand what i mean...
2014 are the same as 2015 models, except different colors... if i would buy now, i' ll choose race-blue (pearl tank/blue forks) but if i were looking for best price i didn't care about the year.
ABS is wellcomed, personally is my first bike equiped with abs and i have saved 2 surelly crashes on cars. its the best for everyday commute in urban traffic conditions and for braking on slippery surfaces.
MT-09 has very predictable and strong brakes and only on heavy braking from 200km(125mph) you 'll find them weak, but this is not usually happened.
About suspension, if you are light weight as me (71kg) then you;ll find it tailored to your weight (as many Japanese riders) but if you are heavier then you have to look for a rear shock.
The bike is OK for one person, passengers must be experienced on strong bikes to ride safelly.
As Flipper said, find the cheapest brand new and.... enjoy it !!!

Jess24845030

Reaction score
Ha 71 kg , yer I wish looks like I will at least be needing an upgraded shock then . Thanks for the input

Jess24845030

Reaction score
If your between 70 72 Kg you need to be eating more pies .

Was hoping for a test ride today but the shop didn't call me back . Contacted them later this afternoon and all they could say was oh sorry but we were busy , guess my money I'll go elsewhere.

lee1980

Reaction score
I'm around 12.5 to 13 stone and find the suspension ok so far only had a few weeks and not adjusted yet, certainly in this weather welcome it being softer damped.
Really not best service from your local dealer, buyin mt from mine this time I had great sales guy at mine really helpful etc.

I am sure once you test ride you will want one.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
the MT09 is a prehistoric chasis with a 21st century engine, a terrible mix, suspension is piss poor, brakes leave a lot to be desired (especially the rear) and the handling is dire, but it's great fun to ride...
I've been ruined by my last bike though, a Street Triple R, that handled flawlessly, was infinitely adjustable and incredibly easy to ride... but I got bored with it's predictability so bought an MT09 ABS... haha

as has been said, shop around, but definitely get a test ride :)

flydnb

Reaction score
the MT09 is a prehistoric chasis with a 21st century engine, a terrible mix, suspension is piss poor, brakes leave a lot to be desired (especially the rear) and the handling is dire, but it's great fun to ride...
I've been ruined by my last bike though, a Street Triple R, that handled flawlessly, was infinitely adjustable and incredibly easy to ride... but I got bored with it's predictability so bought an MT09 ABS... haha

as has been said, shop around, but definitely get a test ride :)
Have to disagree mate im afraid, the brakes are good on my bike and the chassis and design of the bike is very 21st centaury take the frame and the way it connects to the swinging arm to keep the width to a minimum enabling the pegs to be lower and keep angle of lean the same as an R6 , I agree about suspension but that's an easy fix and not that expensive.

R6owdlad

Reaction score
Have to disagree mate im afraid, the brakes are good on my bike and the chassis and design of the bike is very 21st centaury take the frame and the way it connects to the swinging arm to keep the width to a minimum enabling the pegs to be lower and keep angle of lean the same as an R6 , I agree about suspension but that's an easy fix and not that expensive.
Totally agree....

Jess24845030

Reaction score
Well I was wondering if someone would cut in on the comments was getting worried I'm not the best of riders getting old as well .

Brakes can be made better , suspenshion can be upgraded but if the frame isn't great that's not good . Didn't expect someone who has brought the bike to put it down so much .

I,m looking for something to suit me for the long term so going to have to wait I think till my favourite bike shop has on on demo again and I know they will let me have it for a long test ride if I ask them .

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Flydnb is absolutelly right on his comment, i totally agree..
Toastedblue, IMO mt-09's frame is a "new age" frame, lots modern than TripleR's.
Only suspension needs upgrade but don't forget we are talking for the cheapest "superbike" in the market today....

flydnb

Reaction score
Well I was wondering if someone would cut in on the comments was getting worried I'm not the best of riders getting old as well .

Brakes can be made better , suspenshion can be upgraded but if the frame isn't great that's not good . Didn't expect someone who has brought the bike to put it down so much .

I,m looking for something to suit me for the long term so going to have to wait I think till my favourite bike shop has on on demo again and I know they will let me have it for a long test ride if I ask them .
Trust me mate its only the suspension that is a bit lacking and even that doesn't bother everyone, the brakes are good on the MT and sorting suspension out will improve that even more, I must say I rode the Street triple back to back against the MT and yes you are sitting with more forward bias on the ST and I think that can be more reassuring to guys that come off of sports bikes but for me I think the riding position on the MT is more like a big low supermoto and once you get used to that its more natural on the road.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Had my MT09 for 15 months now, still really happy with it. I have NOT had the free fuelling map done, I dont have a problem with the standard map. The brakes are good, easily enough to lock up both ends if you want. The suspension is fine if you spend a bit of time setting it up, obviously not as firm as a sportsbike, and no doubt if your planning to take it on track days and run in the fast group, you will quickly find the limits. However, if your planning on using it as everyday transport, and as a weekend toy to blast about on, the suspension is fine. On the roads round here it is good enough to keep with mates on litre sportsbikes.
I would base your decision on price and the colour you like. I wouldnt want ABS but its a personal choice. I would also go for a 2014 model if the colour is right, with the original fuel mapping. If you dont like the fuelling the dealer will upgrade it for free anyway. I would also get one with the Bridgestones fitted, not the dunlops, but again its down to your personal preferences