Normal for battery to go dead over Winter?

RipGroove

Reaction score
As above, my pervious bikes have all been Supermotos that had kickstarts so it's never been an issue for me.

The MT has been sat for 5 months, it has been started and warmed up about once a month and I fitted some indicators recently, the bike started and ran fine then but today it's dead. I've just plugged an Oxford Optimiser on to the battery and it's showing RED <3v which according to the manual means that it won't even bother trying to charge it.

Just wondering if I've messed something up installing the indicators, can't see how though it's extremely simple.

I guess I need a new battery now?

Bummer as today is the only dry day for a while and the chance of getting a battery on a bank holiday is slim to none.

Sent from my iPhone 

Ruff

Reaction score
I think you have messed something up when installing indicators. I have left mine MT in the begining of the december. Never touch it since. And last weekend it has started up without any hesitation like it would been ridden all the time.

RipGroove

Reaction score
I think you have messed something up when installing indicators. I have left mine in th begining of the december. Never touch it since. And last weekend it has started up without any hesitation like it would been ridden all the time.
What on earth could go wrong though, it's only bullet connectors and a plug and play relay?

Ruff

Reaction score
What on earth could go wrong though, it's only bullet connectors and a plug and play relay?
Have no idea, but it's not normal for battery to die like that without a reason.
In my old bike - Suzuki Sv1000S - I never do anything during winter storage and never had a problem with battery when starting up the bike in the spring. It always has started up with one touch of the button like MT this time after it's first winter.
So if you have been started and warmed the bike monthly it should be even in better condition.
Thus it must by some installation issue.

RipGroove

Reaction score
The hazard switch was left on actually for a week or so, BUT with the ignition off (so they weren't actually flashing) that shouldn't have flattened the battery?

Sent from my iPhone 

Ruff

Reaction score
The hazard switch was left on actually for a week or so, BUT with the ignition off (so they weren't actually flashing) that shouldn't have flattened the battery?
Normaly that should't flatened tha battery.
Are you sure the hazard lights weren't blinking ??
Maybe they weren't blinking when you have came and battery was already dead?
Or maybe something was wrong with new indicators and that's why they weren't blinking even when hazard lights were on.
And I am not sure but hazard lighta are able to blink even when ignuoion is off...

RipGroove

Reaction score
No deffo were not blinking. Soon as I turned the key this morning they lit up right away and started blinking very bright. So switched them off and went to start it and it wouldn't start.

Indicators are definitely working fine as they've been tested since fitting.

Sent from my iPhone 

Mark Arnold Evered

Reaction score
Interestingly, my MT is just coming up to a year old and the battery will happily drain over a few nights. It has never been left to run down, it's either left on optimizer or ran weekly. There is an alarm and heated grips connected (I've tested it without these). The battery just seems to have given up. Currently I leave it on a few hours on the optimizer each night through the week to prevent any further damage to it. Charging specs are spot on and drain isn't abnormal. Just a crap battery it seems. I wonder if warranty will cover it or will they assume it's been left uncharged.

RipGroove

Reaction score
What is going on? The battery is showing 12v on a multimeter but the bike won't start and the battery optimiser is showing <3v

Sent from my iPhone 

RipGroove

Reaction score
Is it in gear?
No. I think I've sussed it. I think the battery has lost a little power where it's been sat, and the reason my charger was showing the battery as dead was because I've found it has a loose connection on the positive lead, so now that I've fixed that the charger is now showing something between 11.8v and 12.8v (it could be right down at 11.8v), so it's now on charge and I'm told the starter motor will only crank if it has 12.6v at least so at some point the charger will click over to trickle charge mode when the battery is at 12.8v, so at that point I'll give it another go and see if it starts.

Well gutted today though as it's sunny and dry and we're forecast rain for the next 2 weeks as of tomorrow. Was hoping to get my first ride out today as I'm not working.

stumpy66

Reaction score
I thought I read that a good battery should have 14.2 volts, or is that with it running:confused:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fly which one did I say we put on the street rally when you asked a week or so ago...
Can't remember and can't be bothered to look back lol

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. I've just found it...

It was off eBay.

It's made by JMT , Lithium battery HJTZ10S-FP-1