Normal for battery to go dead over Winter?

bobh

Reaction score
As a new owner, I was a bit surprised when I looked under the seat to see how small the battery is (10 Ah?) to crank a fairly large 3-cylinder motor. Presumably it doesn't have any decompression, like singles do.

There seems to be some foam packing there that would allow a bigger one to be fitted, so I guess if yours has given up it would be best to go for the biggest that will slot in.

Ruff

Reaction score
The oem battery is wank. They die quickly.

I beg to differ with you.
MT is my fourth bike. In every single one always the best battery was the oem battery. When it died, the aftermarket battery have never been as good as oem.
For example in my last SV1000s it was working for seven years without problems and started every spring from the single touch. And the only reason it died was because I had an engine problem and the bike wasn't running whole year.
This is not only my opinion, but also many of my friends experiencing problems with aftermarket batteries and also many of bike mechanics and sellers that I know.
And no, by "aftermarket battery" I don't mean some cheap chinese junk. :)

Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well that's just fantastic. I'm very happy for you, your friends and all your fully charged oem batteries ?

Matt Grey

Reaction score
Now ladies settle down please :p no problems with my OEM battery yet, bike is 2 yrs old and 32,000kms on the clock.
Doesn't get ridden during the week, or much at all during our cruel Melbourne Winters when the temperatures occasionally dip into the single digits.

I just checked it now out of curiosity, hasn't been started since Monday. Ignition off 12.92V. Engine running at idle 14.33V. So seems quite healthy.

Last edited:

Locksmith

Reaction score
Must admit, not had problems with yammie batteries for a good few years. The last FZ1 was nigh on 5 years old and still going strong when I sold her!

I found alarms were the biggest wear on battery life, even using optimates. Since I stopped having alarms fitted to my bikes all has been good.

Now I've said that you just know the fekkin bike won't start now :):):)