Paintwork care question

reeseyboy

Reaction score
I have the Matt Grey finish on my Tracer and was wondering what I should, and shouldn't, be doing when cleaning the bike. I'm not new to bikes but have never had a Matt finish on one...

RipGroove

Reaction score
I have the Matt Grey finish on my Tracer and was wondering what I should, and shouldn't, be doing when cleaning the bike. I'm not new to bikes but have never had a Matt finish on one...
This is what I do with mine:

Step 1: Wet with hose
Step 2: Spray all over with Duck Smart Earth Mover
Step 3: Agitate the foam on dirty areas (wheels, under rear seat etc) with a soft bristle brush

Wait 5 mins

Step 4: Rinse off with hose
Step 5: Spray all over with Duck Smart Mud Slider, this repels water as well leaving a coating that repels future dirt
Step 6: Wipe anything non metal down with a chamois leather (seat, fenders etc)
Step 7: Leave the rest of the bike to dry with the aid of the Duck Smart Mud Slider

Then I clean and lube the chain using WD40 Chain Cleaner & WD40 Chain Wax (does not fling).

And in between cleans I spray the whole bike with Auto Glym Rapid Detailer and wipe off with a Microfibre Cloth

All of this leaves my bike very clean, somewhat water and mud repellent and smelling like fruity bubblegum (Duck Smart smells fruity and Auto Glym smells like bubblegum).

Last edited:

stevecbr

Reaction score
know this is an old post, but i just wash my matt grey MT with warm water and fairy liquid, rinse off and towel dry. Will be 2 years old next month, done 12000 miles, ridden through 2 winters and the finish is as good as new, no marks what so ever