Panniers

Phlewc

Reaction score
Hey all,

so what is the deal on panniers? Is everyone going for the Yamaha ones or has anyone gone aftermarket? I am looking at the Hepco and Becker Journey panniers, 42 litres per side and lockable and water resistant but am a little worried about size and subframe issues. Anyone have experience?

Cheers

MartinB

Reaction score
I use a full three box set up on mine, Its made by SHAD in spain, just got back from the same country, 2 weeks of great riding and the whole time the bike was well planted and handled very well throughout the trip.
Highly recommended.

Cheers

Martin B

Last edited:

Phlewc

Reaction score
I use a full three box set up on mine, Its made by SHAD in spain, just got back from the same country, 2 weeks of great riding and the whole time the bike was well planted and handled very well throughout the trip.
Highly recommended.

Cheers

Martin B

Cheers Martin, after I started this thread I did a lot of looking around and ended up ordering some Shad's. Coming back and seeing your comments was very pleasing as I was worried that I had spent a lot of money on something that I knew nothing about.

MartinB

Reaction score
MartinB, that looks good. Does the screen work well?
Screen is very acceptable, and much improved over nothing at all, I am currently trying to develop a neat screen angle adjustment, so that I can adjust the initial attack angle to improve protection even further, Will post if it works!

FYI: My screen is an MRA unit in case anybody wanted one.

Spook99

Reaction score
Martin, What size are the panniers and how much did you pay? They look perfect

alan_manic

Reaction score
£250 sounds good. I just checked on-line and it came in at £454.56 for a pair of 36 litres with 3p fitting kit. Gulp!

Phlewc

Reaction score
My Shad 36's and 3p brackets have arrived and are on - I am very happy. Good solid construction, easy to fit and look good for panniers, Only gripe is they are very tight putting in and taking off ( probably a good thing in the long run).

sedavbe

Reaction score
KAPPA cheaper than GIVI but practically the same

After scouting around and comparing all options I bought Kappa paniers as Yamaha had trouble getting their own, they use GIVI mountings so I think they're made by one and the same. exactly the same shape just missing GIVI markings and red reflex'sl I even got an extra lock barrel and keys which are the same as GIVI's so I swopped out the barrel on my GIVI topbox so I only need one key. A Lot cheaper than GIVI & SHAD, all in all a winner in my opinion.
I ordered them directly from Italy and got them within a week to Sweden, cost around £325 with mounting kit, inner bags, & shipping.
One draw back you have to remove the original fixtures for Yamaha panniers but I can live with that for the short time I'll be having them on.

mike

Reaction score
After scouting around and comparing all options I bought Kappa paniers as Yamaha had trouble getting their own, they use GIVI mountings so I think they're made by one and the same. exactly the same shape just missing GIVI markings and red reflex'sl I even got an extra lock barrel and keys which are the same as GIVI's so I swopped out the barrel on my GIVI topbox so I only need one key. A Lot cheaper than GIVI & SHAD, all in all a winner in my opinion.
I ordered them directly from Italy and got them within a week to Sweden, cost around £325 with mounting kit, inner bags, & shipping.
One draw back you have to remove the original fixtures for Yamaha panniers but I can live with that for the short time I'll be having them on.
Would it be pssible to post a couple of pics please? Or the model you bought?

sedavbe

Reaction score

mike

Reaction score

FSR_XC

Reaction score
Fitted with Givi panniers and a Kappa top box (which I already had)

Panniers are V35n

image.jpg

mike

Reaction score
Fitted with Givi panniers and a Kappa top box (which I already had)

Panniers are V35n

View attachment 3424
Theres some good choices for sure. Lookng at the hard panniers OEM..... how much! They must be joking as the ones on this thread are just as good if not better and less money. Mind you the Tenere full set I had was 850 but luckily it was already on the bike when I bought it.

offo

Reaction score
I bought the Shad SH36 panniers with inner bags, SH48 top box, all fitting kits, shipped to the UK for a total price of £468.00, they seem to be a good quality item & once on the bike they are very sturdy.

mike

Reaction score
Ok I went for the Givi pannier rails and Kappa boxes but no torque settings provided. Coudl anyone tell me the torque settings for the foot peg mounts and frames please?

jobby

Reaction score
ive gone with the givi rear rack and box along with oxford lifetime sports soft panners and it works for me very well.