Panniers

LesDawes

Reaction score
Bike handling

Hi Guys, I am possibly in the market for a new Tracer in the next couple of months, and would like to fit triple luggage to it ie: 33-35 litre panniers and a 46 litre top box. I know that Yamaha do not recommend fitting a top box, and after speaking to a couple of owners with just panniers fitted, they said that the bike felt a little light at the front end when riding at touring motorway speeds. I will be touring two-up with clothing in all three cases (approx 10-12kg each case) and I wondered if anyone has experienced any handling issues with a set-up similar to my intended arrangement. Our combined rider and passenger weight is 170kg (371lbs) and total luggage weight is 30kg (70lbs). I know that the bike is a lot lighter than the 1200GS that I have come off, but I am concerned as to the overall load carrying capability of a Tracer. Hope that someone can help as I have really set my heart on wanting a Tracer. Best regards, Les.

offo

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am possibly in the market for a new Tracer in the next couple of months, and would like to fit triple luggage to it ie: 33-35 litre panniers and a 46 litre top box. I know that Yamaha do not recommend fitting a top box, and after speaking to a couple of owners with just panniers fitted, they said that the bike felt a little light at the front end when riding at touring motorway speeds. I will be touring two-up with clothing in all three cases (approx 10-12kg each case) and I wondered if anyone has experienced any handling issues with a set-up similar to my intended arrangement. Our combined rider and passenger weight is 170kg (371lbs) and total luggage weight is 30kg (70lbs). I know that the bike is a lot lighter than the 1200GS that I have come off, but I am concerned as to the overall load carrying capability of a Tracer. Hope that someone can help as I have really set my heart on wanting a Tracer. Best regards, Les.

I have a Tracer with a SH48 top box & SH36 panniers, my wife & i have a combined rider weight of around 135kg, we have just done a 1035 mile long weekend trip to Cornwall with the luggage fully loaded, i averaged an indicated 75 - 85mph most of the way there & whilst there at one point we hit an indicated 95mph, the bike behaved superbly & never once did it wander or feel vague.
The only things i have done are to fit the lowering dog bones & drop the front by around 1cm as i am short of leg, i have also made a custom screen for better wind protection on long trips, other than that the bike is standard.
This was our first trip away on the Tracer so obviously this is my only experience so far but i am really looking forward to taking it to Scotland next year as i absolutely love the roads up there, the only slight niggle from the wife when stopping for fuel after each 170 miles was that she had a numb bum which she thought was because of the vibrations she felt rather than a hard seat.
Hope this helps in your decision making process!

LesDawes

Reaction score
Reply to offo

Hi Offo, many thanks for your reply, I'm feeling a lot more reassured now. Best regards, Les.

Toine

Reaction score
I'm in the market for some panniers too, but really like to know what it looks like without the panniers attached.
Some side racks look pretty obtrusive.
I was used to the easy SW Motech removable racks on my Fazer.

scotty99

Reaction score
Hi.
I sent Metal Mule an email a few days ago, asking if they planned to make racks for the Tracer.
Just got a reply saying they're being finalised and should be available from the end of February.
Another option for those of us who have (or want) decent hard cases instead of the plastic stuff currently available.
They should also fit Touratec cases and similar.

Scott.

FSR_XC

Reaction score
I've got a Givi set. The rails are quick release, so if I'm not using the panniers, I can keep the back end clean.

Also used them, with 35l top box numerous occasions to travel in excess of 350 miles in a day. Even with high winds at motorway speeds, I have never had a handling issue.

scotty99

Reaction score
Metal Mule Panniers

Hi,

Metal Mule are now making pannier frames for their boxes for the Tracer. Mine arrived today and are now fitted.
Service and delivery were excellent.
P1000383.jpgP1000385.jpg

Scott.

stofer

Reaction score
Givi v35 + v47

I do not recommend the 42L panniers. They will look too bulky on your bike.
I installed GIVI V35 on the sides, each can hold a full face helmet.
On the back a V47 which can hold 2 full face helmets.
(+ GIVI touring screen, to complete the tour bike transformation...)
You can judge the overall result and proportions.
Cheers.

Attachments