Real world fuel tank range

flydnb

Reaction score
that's still a lot more power as std at the wheel is about 104 I think.

flydnb

Reaction score
yeah Richie that's another 17bhp at the wheel like a sixth more power which is a lot on such a light machine, I wonder how he does it, my concern would be reliability in case I blow it up lol .

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yeah Richie that's another 17bhp at the wheel like a sixth more power which is a lot on such a light machine, I wonder how he does it, my concern would be reliability in case I blow it up lol .
It's all safe lol. U do t have to have all that power. U cud just get it flashed with all the other goodies. The reduced engine breaking alone sorts the snatchy throttle out. The rest is a massive bonus.

Marc56

Reaction score
Hi, I know parts of Newbury mostly pubs. I go for ride outs with Geoff Mellish and pals. I don't know if you know them, they call themselves the Reading Motorcycle Club. We went to Poplham Airfield a while back and Middle Wallop Airfield a couple of weeks ago.
Is there private messaging? I'm aware that our conversation may not be of general interest. Anyway, what time are you arriving at H Café on the 26th?

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi, I know parts of Newbury mostly pubs. I go for ride outs with Geoff Mellish and pals. I don't know if you know them, they call themselves the Reading Motorcycle Club. We went to Poplham Airfield a while back and Middle Wallop Airfield a couple of weeks ago.
Is there private messaging? I'm aware that our conversation may not be of general interest. Anyway, what time are you arriving at H Café on the 26th?
Hi. If u tell me how u are u viewing this forum I will tell u how to private message

Marc56

Reaction score
Right, getting back on topic.... Are you guys saying the 98 octane fuel is better at smoothing out the snatchiness or a the replacement air filter?

Marc56

Kinjane

Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't use anything other than 95 if the bike is still running with either stock ignition or compression. The engine cannot take any advantage of the slower burn qualities and higher calorific value of a 98 Octane rating. The engine will probably feel different however because it's no longer running as designed. Different, not better.

Running 98 in a 'package' designed for 95 is a bit like running an exhaust that was originally designed to run with a baffle fitted without one - sounds faster but actually isn't (totally different scenario from running an exhaust system that comes supplied with a baffle but originally designed to run without it).

I'd personally fit a High Flow filter as the ECU will adjust the fuelling for it at lower speeds by registering the change in the manifold pressure (not the CFM airflow) thus adding more fuel to compensate. This will reduce snatch.

I would probably fit a DNA having seen the CFM comparison of several 'quality' aftermarket filters. The higherflow rate they offer will start paying dividends at higher revs.
I'd have one already but having spent several thousands on the last bike on go faster/stop quicker/handle better goodies, I'm replacing things on this bike when other stuff either wears out, breaks or reaches its end of service life.

The other thing which should help (which I haven't gotten around to checking yet) is seeing if shielding can be added to the IAT sensor (or relocating) it to protect it from rising engine heat, this will stop the mixture being leaned out unnecessarily by the IAT supplying a higher than actual reading to the ECU.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't use anything other than 95 if the bike is still running with either stock ignition or compression. The engine cannot take any advantage of the slower burn qualities and higher calorific value of a 98 Octane rating. The engine will probably feel different however because it's no longer running as designed. Different, not better.

Running 98 in a 'package' designed for 95 is a bit like running an exhaust that was originally designed to run with a baffle fitted without one - sounds faster but actually isn't (totally different scenario from running an exhaust system that comes supplied with a baffle but originally designed to run without it).

I'd personally fit a High Flow filter as the ECU will adjust the fuelling for it at lower speeds by registering the change in the manifold pressure (not the CFM airflow) thus adding more fuel to compensate. This will reduce snatch.

I would probably fit a DNA having seen the CFM comparison of several 'quality' aftermarket filters. The higherflow rate they offer will start paying dividends at higher revs.
I'd have one already but having spent several thousands on the last bike on go faster/stop quicker/handle better goodies, I'm replacing things on this bike when other stuff either wears out, breaks or reaches its end of service life.

The other thing which should help (which I haven't gotten around to checking yet) is seeing if shielding can be added to the IAT sensor (or relocating) it to protect it from rising engine heat, this will stop the mixture being leaned out unnecessarily by the IAT supplying a higher than actual reading to the ECU.
In short....!

Get a DNA filter, shove 95ron in the bitch and have some fun lol

Kinjane

Reaction score
In short....!

Get a DNA filter, shove 95ron in the bitch and have some fun lol
That's what I was going to say, 'onest Guv

But some members have asked why fitting a high flow filter could possibly reduce snatch.
In a unique moment of unusual clarity I remembered why so gave the unabridged version !

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's what I was going to say, 'onest Guv

But some members have asked why fitting a high flow filter could possibly reduce snatch.
In a unique moment of unusual clarity I remembered why so gave the unabridged version !
And we thank u very much for ur unabridged version. I for one appreciated it ;)

Banksy

Reaction score
A little free mod i've done is to drill a small hole into the side of the filler neck, about half way down it..... It lets you get a bit more fuel in the tank as it lets the air out the expansion air space when on the side stand and as an added bonus when the tank is full and the bike is in the sun it now doesn't pee fuel out the breather pipe by the side stand...

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A little free mod i've done is to drill a small hole into the side of the filler neck, about half way down it..... It lets you get a bit more fuel in the tank as it lets the air out the expansion air space when on the side stand and as an added bonus when the tank is full and the bike is in the sun it now doesn't pee fuel out the breather pipe by the side stand...
Pics please...

Marlboromt

Reaction score
Result! I thought I was doing well at 116hp at the wheel. I have akra and power commander. Have you thought about a quick shifter?