Rear Splash Guard

Davy

Reaction score
Ok, I posted on another thread that I had ordered one of these-

REAR SPLASH GUARD FOR YAMAHA MT09

By the way it looks quality, solid but not heavy. 5mm thick Alu arm and 3mm splash guard, it doesnt bend at all.

I put it on the bike, looked good, but.. my lack of knowledge about bikes in general kicked in, and took it back off again (without taking a few pics..sorry) and so I need some advice.

My concern basically is actually how thick it is, 5mm. It fits underneath the adjuster, the adjuster hole diameter fits the spindle, the spindle has a certain diameter, then reduces for the thread to take the nut, now if you follow the adjuster is now 5 more mm along the shaft (tee hee) and now encroaching on the threaded part of the spindle and my worry is that it will either damage the thread..or worse move and upset the rear wheel alignment. The adjuster in its normal position does not have much play as you'd expect because the hole diameter is matched to the spindle but with the addition of the guard I'm just not confident the adjuster is actually seated securely.

The fact I had to take off the R&G adjusters and refit the OEM ones to fit this just adds insult to injury as they aren't compatible.

Anyhoo are there any techies out there want assure me this is ok

ta

stevecbr

Reaction score
not 100% sure on exactly what you mean, but if you mean the alu arm is 5mm thick and fits around the chain adjuster block, then yes, you just need to reduce the right aduster nut by 5mm to make sure the wheel is still aligned. As long as you tighten the rear wheel spindle to the correct torque it should be fine.
I am not certain how the chain adjuster bolt engages on the adjuster block. As long as this is secure, and doing its job, it should be fine. A photo would confirm things though

Kinjane

Reaction score
For alignment purposes it doesn't matter (to a certain extent) the clearance around the wheel spindle as the adjuster block only ever makes contact against the spindle on the leading edge of the internal hole once everything has been correctly tightened.

You will only need to account for this extra clearance just once which is straight after fitment of the guard, then subsequent adjustments will be made as normal by turning both adjusting bolts the same amount.

Last edited:

fizzy

Reaction score
It looks well made but a bit naff , I think I would rather put me water proofs on :cool:

MadGelo

Reaction score
i am for one getting the guard.

Gonna let the dealer fit it when I go to the year service, as I don't have the tools.

Davy

Reaction score
Sorry about the long winded original post I was half cut writing it lol

I was just worried the adjuster was resting against the threaded part of the rear axle bolt, think Kinjane answered that, cheers :D

As for the looks, well I'm not convinced either to be honest but it's going back on this weekend and if it keeps the muck off my back it's staying till the summer.
It'll do till I have a test drive of the Tracker for next winter.

Ta

MadGelo

Reaction score
Do keep us updated on how well it prevents your back and the back of your bike look like its been on a dirt track :)

thanks

Davy

Reaction score
Ok, put the splash guard back on today and went for a spin. Had to modify it a little to get the rear wheel alignment right as it was fouling against the frame at one part and the adjuster at another.

DSC_0044[1]-copy.jpg

probably not a problem but the bolts are quite close to the tyre

DSC_0048[1].jpg

It was cold, 6 degrees, roads were very wet and slippy. Just about every junction or roundabout had those rainbow marks of oil and diesel, bloody annoying.

Drove around town and some A roads for about an hour, early days but it does seem to work quite well. Still had a few splash marks but no where near as bad.

Here's it on the bike

DSC_0046[1].jpg

DSC_0047[1].jpg

Getting used to how it looks and might get a smaller number plate to see if it still works.

ta.

Davy

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I thought I should show this to anyone thinking of buying one of these..

I was checking over the bike and thought the splash guard looked like it wasn't on the center line of the rear wheel so whipped it off and there's a bloody big crack just to the rear of where it fits to the axle

2015-04-08-12.50.16.jpg

Seems 5mm alu isn't as strong as I thought and doesn't look like it would've been long before we parted company anyway lol

lee1980

Reaction score
Not so good doh, looks like its been pressed or bent out of alloy to, not best way to make for this purpose. I know on the Ducati diavel that has one as standard they had issues of then breaking off and think that was a steel/alloy one with like a plastic cover.

I personally think, I would rather have wet back than worry of that coming off and shredding my tyre, looking at rear end Yamaha must of been made to trim it so slim!
Last week i had biggest downpour yet and can see after its dried a dirty great dried water area all over rear end and seat only clean area is where I was sat lol.

Davy

Reaction score
I hope you're getting a free replacement or your money back

If you look back I had to alter it slightly to get it to fit properly and still get good wheel alignment, I think I'll just put it down to experience rather than spend money sending it back to France just for them say 'va te faire foutre' I will think twice now about buying crap french engineering in the future.

Not so good doh, looks like its been pressed or bent out of alloy to, not best way to make for this purpose. I know on the Ducati diavel that has one as standard they had issues of then breaking off and think that was a steel/alloy one with like a plastic cover.

I personally think, I would rather have wet back than worry of that coming off and shredding my tyre, looking at rear end Yamaha must of been made to trim it so slim!
Last week i had biggest downpour yet and can see after its dried a dirty great dried water area all over rear end and seat only clean area is where I was sat lol.

This is my new thinking now lol

lee1980

Reaction score
I have some like thickish black plastic sheet I plan to extend hugger with and make something to fill that gap between seat unit and the mud guard under rear light as its like a 2" gap the edge of tyre spray comes up each side it seems to me.

M

MT account

dont have any issues with mine and theyre fitted to 2 bikes now......this 1 was the prototype which has had a damn good testing
£149 fitted.20150328_165044.jpg