Service

UnluckySlats

Reaction score
Service is due on bike so I was just wondering now bike is 3 years old and out of warranty
what spark plugs and oil filter would you recommend
Cheers

stevecbr

Reaction score
12000 or 18000 service? Mines in for 18000 service in next few weeks, will be having plugs changed then.
I know the service books says 12000 miles for plug change, but the yamaha mechanic said they are the same plugs on the fz range and they are done at 18000, so didnt do mine when I serviced it myself
Oh, Yamalube and whatever Yamaha recommends for the oil filter, think it was hiflow

Shaun64

Reaction score
I would put iridium plugs in & a decent 10/40 fully synthetic oil in stead of yam lube.

chump

Reaction score
ngk plugs, hi-flo, miewa or genuine yam, Honda, kwak oil filter. cheapest brand name semi synthetic oil I can find.

Shaun64

Reaction score
Mines had fully synthetic in for 1500 miles and hasn't slipped and why would it?ive used shell 4t 10/40 for the last 50.000 miles on 3 cylinder triumphs with no clutch slip.

flydnb

Reaction score
If the wrong jaso ma standard is put in on a wet clutch it will cause slippage under load so putting any fully synthetic oil in is not the right way to do things , A lot of riders wont notice clutch slippage because they never really push their bikes that hard anyway how hard do you ride Shaun ?

Shaun64

Reaction score
I ride it hard enough to know if the clutch is slipping and it's not,I don't fly round like a lunatic I would call my riding mixed,I agree that semi synthetic oil is probably good enough for road use but the Yamaha semi is £30. I can get better oil which is fully synthetic cheaper than that so that's why I use it,regards clutch slip using the wrong oil,for years and many trouble free mile I used car oils in my bikes as that's all we could get local some of my friends still use with no issues,some of the most modern car oils which are called economy oil (not cheap) but are supposed to give you extra mpg I've read can cause clutch slip.