Snatch is cured ! DNA Air filter

RBC

Reaction score
Thats the whole point, the orginal map values are crap, lean bottom end making it snatchy. The end goal here is to add fuel to the bottom end (as a lean mixture means snatchy throttle), and maybe by some chance fitting an aftermarket filter has made the bike do that for whatever reason.
I repeatedly read the above going on between [MENTION=390]RipGroove[/MENTION] and [MENTION=669]Kinjane[/MENTION] and I try to understand it based on my limited experience on CO adjustments, mapping, etc. I think it's the ultimate conclusion for the thread.

Kinjane said:
I've just fitted an ejk fuel controller to mine which is doing a great job of adding fuel where needed to compensate for Yamahas lean ass emissions map. With my standard throttle on (not G2) I pretty much have zero snatch, need to do some more riding and tweaking before I get in to a whole review but so far I'm really liking it, it seems very smooth.
Looks like it has been a while since [MENTION=751]Mtpete[/MENTION] 's last post in the thread. Could this somehow mean that the ECU refresh solved the problem? Should I still go for the DNA filter? I think the answer remains unclear for stock bikes. My list for curing snatchy throttle is as follows:
1. G2 Throttle Tamer
2. CO adjustments (still have doubts)
3. Yamaha's ECU reflash launched for 2015 MT09s
4. DNA (again, not sure)

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I haven't put G2 throtle tamer, i have the stock exhaust, my CO settings are stock, i haven't done the Yamaha ECU remap update.
I have only install a DNA filter and my bike is about 40%-50% less snatchy.
For me, that thing works good.
Allthough i saw the dyno chart of KevXTX's bike witch has a bit more lean A/F ratio instead of my impresion that mixture becomes more rich, but the engine earns about 3hp just with installation of dna filter.

TommyM

Reaction score
I met up with a couple of MT09 owners a few weeks back who told me that they had cured the snatchyness on the MT09. I was invited to test ride both bikes and see for myself. It was true! I was told that it was due to a DNA Air filter from ebay ...from Greece at a cost of about £66. I ordered one and it arrived a 5 days later. I had it fitted along with a full Akra system. I now have a snatch free MT09.
I have blasted around on all 3 modes without any problems...just 3 different levels of response!
The DNA filter is high quality and lasts the life of your bike.
Do what you will with this information....I am sorted!
Just got my DNA filter and changed my co setting to 20 as per afew vids I've seen. I would have never believed it but that initial throttle snatch really is mostly gone! Dunno which bit caused it or both but it's a lot better. Thanks for the recommendation mate!

RipGroove

Reaction score
I keep meaning to get one of these filters. When I do my bike should be super smooth as it already has a G2, Kevs 02 optimiser mod and an ECU flash lol

Sent from my iPhone 

Last edited:

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Just got my DNA filter and changed my co setting to 20 as per afew vids I've seen. I would have never believed it but that initial throttle snatch really is mostly gone! Dunno which bit caused it or both but it's a lot better. Thanks for the recommendation mate!
Best choice,
the CO setting's has to be in +20 if you also fit Acrapovic racing zorst (according MisterB), for hi-flow filter and stock zorst he reccomends +6.
Few months ago i've changed my CO settings from -0- to +14 and seems to me that gained more torque at low rpm..
The only sure is that by increasing or decresing CO you never harm your engine cause CO influences only the 2% of throtle's opening from closed. And, for me, that 2% matters and is critical especially when close/open the throtle and want to turn nice and safe..!

Last edited:

zine

Reaction score
My list for curing snatchy throttle is as follows:

3. Yamaha's ECU reflash launched for 2015 MT09s)
Has anyone installed the 'updated' flash from Yamaha? ... I spoke to my dealer, and they state the process is 'irreversible'? Which means WHAT???

I've installed a IXIL exhaust, ordered a DNA air filter, and also ordered the O2 Controller. Should I also have Yamaha update the ECU Map? or get the FTECU Flashtune?

Confused over all the options??? ... Why can't Yamaha just have it sorted straight out of the box?!?!

Locksmith

Reaction score
I would have thought a Tracer would have the later Yamaha ECU map?
I thought it was early MT-09's that could have a reflash from MR Yamaha ?

I have been off the scene a bit so may be talkin proper bollix :)

RipGroove

Reaction score
Apparently all 2015 and onwards have the Yamaha flash pre installed.

A guy I work with was really excited about getting an MT09 as he knows mine is bonkers fast so he went and test road a '15 model (with updated throttle map from Yamaha) and he said it was a very boring sluggish bike. Anyone with a '14 MT09 will definitely not refer to their bike as sluggish so I can only assume that the reason it felt like that was due to Yamaha's 'improved' throttle map. My advice to anyone here would be to go see Rich (Triple Trouble) and get the FlashTune map done, it is infinitely better than Yamaha's solution IMO.

Sent from my iPhone 

Last edited:

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
My '65 plate would be described as snatchy I guess. 1400 miles in, and I'm used to it now and really like it that responsive personally. There's more clutch control at idling speeds, but I guess it's down to taste, so to speak.

RipGroove

Reaction score
I'll be fitting my DNA filter in a day or two, will post the results here. I didn't buy it to cure the throttle snatch as that has already been taken care of via other mods, I bought it as I figured it would be a perfect addition to my pipe and ECU map, so for reference the bike already has the following:

Ti Akra
FlashTune ECU Map
G2 Throttle Tube
Kevs 02 mod (temporarily)

Tropicocity

Reaction score
I'll be fitting my DNA filter in a day or two, will post the results here. I didn't buy it to cure the throttle snatch as that has already been taken care of via other mods, I bought it as I figured it would be a perfect addition to my pipe and ECU map, so for reference the bike already has the following:

Ti Akra
FlashTune ECU Map
G2 Throttle Tube
Kevs 02 mod (temporarily)
Hi Rip,

Just wondering, why is the O2 mod only temporary - I thought it was a purchase that solved all the jerkiness when the bike runs in 'eco' mode (which is honestly about 75% of the time in London lol) - is there a better solution?

Thanks

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Totally Agree with Rip... The flash is really the best way to go... I had the 02 controller on for a year, once flashed it's not necessary, the loaded maps deal with it.. I have a Ti pipe with a MWR air filter... Love the bike now... Leaving as is...

Tropicocity

Reaction score
Totally Agree with Rip... The flash is really the best way to go... I had the 02 controller on for a year, once flashed it's not necessary, the loaded maps deal with it.. I have a Ti pipe with a MWR air filter... Love the bike now... Leaving as is...
Really? So TT's flash actually sorts out that irritating sputtery feeling when the bike is in 'ECO' mode? It actually does the same thing that the O2 sensor mod does :O? If that's true I may need to get it done as my bike is in ECO mode around 75-80% of the time as I mostly ride in the city, and its really bloody annoying!

Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Really? So TT's flash actually sorts out that irritating sputtery feeling when the bike is in 'ECO' mode? It actually does the same thing that the O2 sensor mod does :O? If that's true I may need to get it done as my bike is in ECO mode around 75-80% of the time as I mostly ride in the city, and its really bloody annoying!
Come and see us. We can sort all that out for you no problem

RipGroove

Reaction score
As others have pointed out, get your ECU flashed for an all in one solution. There weren't any ECU maps available when I bought my 02 mod which was why I did it. My ECU has now been flashed but I need to go back for an update before I can remove my 02 mod. Which I'll be booking in for as soon as I know when Yamaha are sorting my cam chain tensioner out.

chump

Reaction score
Will you be selling your O2 controller then RipGroove? I'd be interested in buying it.