Soft panniers

Trip Hazard

Reaction score
Has anybody fitted genuine Yamaha panniers to their 09 using the stays ?? I've acquired some, but it seems that the rear foot rests have to be removed in order for them to fit, not much use if you want to take a pillion. :confused:

marcusfordus

Reaction score
They fit between the footpeg hanger and frame, you don't lose them, can't remember who showed me how they fit, but it was someone on here.

Trip Hazard

Reaction score
Haven't tried to fit the near side yet, still trying to see why the offside won't fit, it seems that the reservoir is in the way.

M

MT account

Haven't tried to fit the near side yet, still trying to see why the offside won't fit, it seems that the reservoir is in the way.
just took a look at the reservoir and it does seem to jut in a bit. is there no spacers in the kit to move the footplate out a bit?

Trip Hazard

Reaction score
No spacers with the stays, I got the set up of ebay, will try and fit the near side later and see what that looks like, i'll try to take some pics and post later

M

MT account

No spacers with the stays, I got the set up of ebay, will try and fit the near side later and see what that looks like, i'll try to take some pics and post later
ive seen them fitted to the demo bikes at the darkside downpour so there must be a spacer to move the res. out the way..

Trip Hazard

Reaction score
Managed to get them fitted, I made some spacers 20mm diameter x 15mm long but they could be 20mm long as the reservoir is touching the stay, and are put together with 40mm button head set screws (50mm for the demo)

Img_8386.jpg

Img_8388.jpg

Img_8389.jpg

Img_8390.jpg

Img_8396.jpg

M

MT account

well you got it sorted! seems a bit odd that you had to do that tho?

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I got the panniers for mine too (Wales tour last month) but I really like the look of that seat, where did you get it?

MT-Pete

Reaction score
Managed to get them fitted, I made some spacers 20mm diameter x 15mm long but they could be 20mm long as the reservoir is touching the stay, and are put together with 40mm button head set screws (50mm for the demo)

View attachment 2027

View attachment 2028

View attachment 2029

View attachment 2030

View attachment 2031
I'm guessing you checked this, but does the shape of the stay not allow for the reservoir to sit in front of it with the pipe running behind? Your picture looks like the problem is clearance for the pipe, not the reservoir. I'd be amazed if the product required for customers to make adapters to make it fit. Unless you bought an incomplete kit.

Trip Hazard

Reaction score
I'm guessing you checked this, but does the shape of the stay not allow for the reservoir to sit in front of it with the pipe running behind? Your picture looks like the problem is clearance for the pipe, not the reservoir. I'd be amazed if the product required for customers to make adapters to make it fit. Unless you bought an incomplete kit.
When you tighten it up without the spacers the reservoir bracket bends and the pipe gets trapped, I now have some deeper spacers, which when fitted should leave a small gap between the reservoir and the stay.
As for the right stay for the bike, I don't know as I can't see a part number. these were purchased secondhand.

MT-Pete

Reaction score
When you tighten it up without the spacers the reservoir bracket bends and the pipe gets trapped, I now have some deeper spacers, which when fitted should leave a small gap between the reservoir and the stay.
As for the right stay for the bike, I don't know as I can't see a part number. these were purchased secondhand.
No fitting instructions then? I think the pipe should run behind the pannier bracket with the reservoir in front, but that's just from looking at your first photo! I haven't fitted these myself :)

Trip Hazard

Reaction score
Have put new spacers on, these are 20mm long and painted same colour as the frame, although the reservoir is touching the stay, there is no tension on the reservoir bracket.

Img_8397.jpg

Img_8398.jpg

Img_8399.jpg

Img_8402.jpg

Img_8404.jpg

Trip Hazard

Reaction score
No fitting instructions then? I think the pipe should run behind the pannier bracket with the reservoir in front, but that's just from looking at your first photo! I haven't fitted these myself :)
I thought that but the stay is shaped, thus not allowing the stay to fit between the reservoir and the pipe.

RatHead

Reaction score
Mine were fine too very simple to fit. I would have a dealer check those out.

M

MT account

why doesnt someone show us a close up of theirs? so trip can show them a close up of his?

.........and after that a photo of the pannier brackets?:eek:...........maybe, just maybe, his might have been assembled left to right etc. i had that on some handed crash bungs where the long left stuck miles out the right side and the short right didnt reach past the alternator cover cos they had been assembled wrong at the factory.......just a thought...

Trip Hazard

Reaction score
I have uploaded four pics to photobucket
I can see from your photos that the stays I've fitted to my bike, are not for a MT-09, yours look to hang a lot lower as the reservoir is well clear, as there is no part number on them, I'm unable to establish which bike these would fit so i'll have to nip down to me local yam shop and see if they can identify them, then sell em and get the right ones.
That's why I asked if anybody had fitted them to their bikes, I knew they didn't look right.