Soon to be MT09 owner, intro and sprocket Q

Bookerman

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum, pick up my 2014 MT09 tomorrow, can’t wait :) I am a long time Fazer 600 owner.
Quick question to start though if you’ll indulge me.
The bike has a new rear sprocket fitted and from what I can tell it is an increase in size. The original sprocket comes with the bike along with some other original parts.
I am swithering on asking the dealer to change it back for me as I certainly aint aiming for wheelies every time I crank the throttle and know the torque standard is more than enough. Also with doing a lot of long journeys etc I know the larger sprocket will give worse mpg etc. Also I believe it can make the bike less smooth when picking away?
Do you guys think I should get it changed or leave it to try it then get it changed if I find it a problem?? Thanks in advance

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
This is not a good sign for a 2nd hand bike with 2200 miles on the clock...
Ask your dealer the reasons of change and force him to put on bike the std sprockets before you buy it !
MT-09 is enough torquey to do easy wheelies in 2nd "long" gear without any effort. With an increased number of teeth on rear sprocket it could be dangerous...
Standard sprocketing is front 16 teeth and rear 45 teeth.

Bookerman

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Turns out it was not a bigger sprocket it was actually the same 45 tooth but he had replaced it with a shiny gold Renthal one. The original sprocket is actually in a box I got with the bike and is undamaged or anything. I think he wanted a better quality one or just liked shiny things.
Very happy with the bike and yes very torquey lol