Starting

Convert

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why my bike wont start first flick of the switch when starting for the first time in a day or after a considerable period of time? For example, go to head to work in the morning and hit the start switch. Bike wont start first go however will always start on second attempt.

If I get the bike up to temperature and turn it off, it will start first time even an hour later. However, if I ride into work and go to start the bike 8 hours later, again it takes 2 goes to get it running.

Not a big deal but why wont it start first time. Bike is brand new now with 600 km on the clock. Has an Akro ti exhaust fitted by the dealer. Yamaha mechanics explanation is that some bikes just do that??????

I live in Queensland Australia where the daytime temperature is about 30 degrees C and overnight in the high teens.

Appreciate your time.

lee1980

Reaction score
Many things it could be, I would wait until you take in first service and mention it then, mine has fired first time even when it's was near freezing.
No hesitation at all the motor seems very free spinning, just had my first service and they sync the throttle bodies to mine feels smoother now.

Credry

Reaction score
I have the same problem and always have (10,000 kms) Never really bothered me that much as always starts second time, but yeah I kjnow what you mean, you do expect better from a new bike...

It does only seem to be us in the warmer areas for some reason (Perth here).

Swagger

Reaction score
It's gonna be a cold start map issue. A custom re flash, PCV or a dyno adjust would probably be the way forward. Has anyone got into fooling the bike into a different map sequence ... guess they must have by now. What happens if you try jumping the side stand cut out.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
You both live in warm climates, could it be something to do with fuel vaporisation? what happens if you allow the fuel pump to complete the prime cycle before you hit start? just a few ideas. x

Clint Kingston

Reaction score
I let the bikes fuel pump prime then hit the starter, starts first time. (Sydney)

KJCOX

Reaction score
I used to do the same action.. (Athens)
I've had similar issues but only when I turn the bike on when the kill switch is in the OFF position. I'm in Mount Isa with daytime temps exceeding 40 and nighttime getting down to high 20's early thirties. It starts first time everytime when I turn the key on with the kill switch in the ON position. I've even started it plenty of times before it's done it's little start-up sequence on the dash.

Psycho Paul

Reaction score
I agree with KJCOX. Turn the engine off just using the key, this leaves the fuel pump fully primed.
Turn on the key and leave for 3-5 secs and should start first flick..

Convert

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I don't use the kill switch, always turn off with the key leaving the kill switch alone. Before I hit the starter, always listen and wait for the fuel pump to prime. The motor will turn over and sometimes cough like its almost going to fire but doesn't. Then, the second time hitting the start button, will fire straight away.

I'm not a mechanic but does sound like an engine management issue. I was wondering if the Akro pipe may have affected it but not so sure now.

Will get the Dealer to investigate when it goes in for the 1000km Service. 650km on the odo now.

Thanks again.

fab

Reaction score
I am also having the same issue. I ride the bike daily and it frequently won't start the first time on a "cold start". It doesn't matter what temperature it is outside or in the garage.

A Yamaha dealer is looking into it for me. Still waiting after a month for a suitable reply.

I am in Melbourne

fab

Reaction score
Finally had the dealer take the bike in a month ago. Instead of testing it before they tried a solution they applied the fix first, so I have no info on what causes the problem to occur.

The dealer reflashed the latest version back onto the ECU. Since then It has started first time 34 of out 36 starts (before it was the inverse). The only other thing they did was the recall but I doubt that affected the situation :)