Suspension Settings Advice Please!

Nippess.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just got my MT09 this week :D:D and working through it bit by bit. I am 5'7" tall and of slender build, 8.5 stones (call that a little more for my leathers :eek: ), female rider with over 25 years riding experience. The suspension is quite springy, particularly where I live,as there are so many potholes you have to plan a route around them!! On good surfaces where bends and can go faster, the bike handles very comfortably. Just the slower stuff where I'm being lifted up and around. Does anyone with similar build/height/weight have recommendations I may try before I do anything?? Thanks in advance.

Mighty Hard Roker

Reaction score
Im similar height, I weigh just under 10 stone. I let the guys at J&S Bikes Doncaster set mine up where my first mt09 was from, as the std setting was awful, very springy. You may need to make a few adjustments to your front forks. Check your manual section 3-22 you might want to increase the preload a little to harden things up.. Remember where it was to start with (so you can always turn it back) and make small adjustments (remembering how may quarter turns) and see how it responds. I'm also from south yorkshire and most of the urban roads and some of the country stuff round me is pretty awful.

ToastedBlue

Reaction score
why do people keep blindly guessing the preload settings? it's not difficult to get it right first time, you just need a 14mm spanner, C spanner for rear shock, both in your tool kit, a tape measure and a friend, YouTube suspension preload settings for instructions, it's so easy a baboon could do it. the difficulty comes when setting the rebound, but anything greater than 1 full turn back from hard makes little difference IME.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Hi everyone, just got my MT09 this week :D:D and working through it bit by bit. I am 5'7" tall and of slender build, 8.5 stones (call that a little more for my leathers :eek: ), female rider with over 25 years riding experience. The suspension is quite springy, particularly where I live,as there are so many potholes you have to plan a route around them!! On good surfaces where bends and can go faster, the bike handles very comfortably. Just the slower stuff where I'm being lifted up and around. Does anyone with similar build/height/weight have recommendations I may try before I do anything?? Thanks in advance.
I can't understand what is the weight of 8.5 stones but i am less than 70kg... so the best cornering on stock suspension i had it with front's preload at 6 rings showing and rebound at 1/2 turn from fully out (soft=slow).
At the rear shock i'd put the preload at position 5 but i'd find out that when i putted it back at 4 the bike was more positive at my efforts when turnihg.
Meanwhile i'd put the rear shock's rebound fully slow (CCW) and it had the best speed of rebound to control the bike even when i fell into potholes as i was lying in the apex of turn.
Hope this helps you a llitle bit..:cool:

Last edited: