The First 300 miles

taylord

Reaction score
Got my new tracer last Tuesday afternoon. So, all day Wednesday was spent putting 300 miles on her:)
Love the engine - really perky and the gearbox is much smoother than my previous bike a Triumph Tiger 1050.
I do have a couple of very minor niggles I thought I'd share for no particular reason.
1. If you adjust the seat to the higher setting it doesn't feel as though it's fitted properly.:confused:
2. There's some minor vibration from the left foot peg.
3. There's a lot of horizontal play in the throttle (there's also some vertical play as well) which makes the bike feel cheap.

I can't see anything I can do about 1 so for now have left it on the lower setting which feels more secure.
If I can be bothered I'll change the foot pegs to some with a bit of rubber to reduce/eliminate the small vibration
I only did 2 miles on the bike before I noticed item 3, the throttle play, and immediately went back to the dealer with it. He demonstrated quite a few bikes have this amount of play fresh out of the box. Apparently it's to do with the "ride by wire" we now use. I'm not so sure and can't help thinking it will get worse with age.

As I said above these are very minor niggles that I can easily accept or, in the main, do something about. Otherwise this is a great bike and I'm looking forward to spending a great deal of time racking up some mileage on her.:p

Happy biking

Phlewc

Reaction score
What are you referring to in point 3?

My throttle felt fine, though there was a lot of slack between rest position and acceleration, so I took the slack out on the cable (adjuster on the cable a few inches after the place where it comes out the switchgear) -feels fine now.

taylord

Reaction score
What are you referring to in point 3?

My throttle felt fine, though there was a lot of slack between rest position and acceleration, so I took the slack out on the cable (adjuster on the cable a few inches after the place where it comes out the switchgear) -feels fine now.
No it's not the amount of slack when you twist the throttle before it takes up. If you hold the throttle grip you can physically move it horizontally left and right. There's also a small amount of play in the vertical axis as well. I've checked this with the dealer and we've even gone around his show testing a number of bikes and it seems to be common trait with Yamaha. I'll live with it.

Put another 100 miles on her yesterday. Really pleased I bought it - did consider one of the new Bandit 1250s but they look so old compared to the Yam and there very little in the way of technical assist unless you go to the catalogue of extras.

Happy biking.

offo

Reaction score
I would think that there would always need to be a minute amount of movement on the throttle to allow ease of movement when accelerating/decelerating.
I did have a bike years ago where i wanted to cut down on the amount of left to right movement, i ended up getting a large flat nylon washer from a plummers merchant, removing the grip from the throttle sleeve, putting the washer on & then re sticking the grip back on, the washer was roughly the same size as the end of the throttle where the cables are & fitted nicely in the throttle body, it did it's job but i don't know that i'd bother doing it again though tbh, i was young & had too much spare time on my hands! ;)