the offical where is yours rusting thread.

Birdy

Reaction score
To be honest , we all know the rear shock is were yam saved some yen ... it is a cheapo unit ! Could have put some better suspension on , but then the bike would be about 8k ? I not complaining tho... still love the scamp , with all its little niggles ...:)

M

MT account

............i only noticed its got adjustable rebound on it, i was chuffed cos its as soggy as a used teabag. well, i was chuffed til i tried to stiffen it up a bit.......its on full hard already :(

Partridge

Reaction score
My local dealer replaced my rear shock under warrenty after i compained about the rust on it. shall see if this one does the

Jay Cee

Reaction score
Mine is a 2014 bike march reg shock is starting to rust, just thought I would drop that in, I keep a very close eye on my bike and how clean it is.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine is a 2014 bike march reg shock is starting to rust, just thought I would drop that in, I keep a very close eye on my bike and how clean it is.
I had my rear shock changed about 3 months ago under warranty and the new one has been fine so far

Darren Reid

Reaction score
So I gave the bike a good detailing during the week and i nearly fell over when i saw the rear shock with rust starting to form in the weld! The bike is only 10 months old. I know yamaha will sort it out under warranty but the question i have is do they replace it with the same shock again or have they realised that its brutal and moved to a different shock? Also noticed corrosion forming on some nuts and bolts and other metal parts of the bike. It's been ACF50 coated professionally and still its started corrode. A good dose of WD40 and a toothbrush managed to sort most of it out as it was only starting but still.

flydnb

Reaction score
So I gave the bike a good detailing during the week and i nearly fell over when i saw the rear shock with rust starting to form in the weld! The bike is only 10 months old. I know yamaha will sort it out under warranty but the question i have is do they replace it with the same shock again or have they realised that its brutal and moved to a different shock? Also noticed corrosion forming on some nuts and bolts and other metal parts of the bike. It's been ACF50 coated professionally and still its started corrode. A good dose of WD40 and a toothbrush managed to sort most of it out as it was only starting but still.
you ridden it through the winter?

Darren Reid

Reaction score
Yep near enough every day. I had it treated with acf50 prior to the winter. There was a lot of salt in fairness on the road this year but still I didn't expect to see it happen so quickly. there was nothing on it in December. Id say it all happened over the space of two months really. Bit strange. Had a cbr i bought brand new before the mt and it took 3 years before i even noticed any corrosion on it. I still love it though, wouldn't change it for the world, just shocked at how quickly it forms especially the rust on the shock! Is it the same shock they replace it with?

flydnb

Reaction score
Yep near enough every day. I had it treated with acf50 prior to the winter. There was a lot of salt in fairness on the road this year but still I didn't expect to see it happen so quickly. there was nothing on it in December. Id say it all happened over the space of two months really. Bit strange. Had a cbr i bought brand new before the mt and it took 3 years before i even noticed any corrosion on it. I still love it though, wouldn't change it for the world, just shocked at how quickly it forms especially the rust on the shock! Is it the same shock they replace it with?
im not sure on quality of finish on replacement shock, but regarding using acf 50 if you are riding daily I would say you need to keep washing and applying more acf at least every 2 weeks during the salty roads time , that stuff is a killer for exposed metal parts on any bike, that's why I don't use mine in January and feb as im a lazy sod and cant stand heavy cleaning all the time.

Darren Reid

Reaction score
im not sure on quality of finish on replacement shock, but regarding using acf 50 if you are riding daily I would say you need to keep washing and applying more acf at least every 2 weeks during the salty roads time , that stuff is a killer for exposed metal parts on any bike, that's why I don't use mine in January and feb as im a lazy sod and cant stand heavy cleaning all the time.
It's the MT or the bus for me which really only means the MT haha. I thought the acf50 would do it for the winter at least but I guess it needs a few coats during the salty road season to keep everything sorted on it. Thankfully the WD40 took most if not all of it off so I'm happy with that. I'm getting the adjuster blocks replaced next week under warranty so will say it to the dealer about the shock while I'm in there and keep everyone posted on the replacement shock that fitted.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's the MT or the bus for me which really only means the MT haha. I thought the acf50 would do it for the winter at least but I guess it needs a few coats during the salty road season to keep everything sorted on it. Thankfully the WD40 took most if not all of it off so I'm happy with that. I'm getting the adjuster blocks replaced next week under warranty so will say it to the dealer about the shock while I'm in there and keep everyone posted on the replacement shock that fitted.
Yes it's the same shock I'm afraid. Been there done that lol.

Darren Reid

Reaction score
Darren, you got any pictures of the rusty shock? I'm interested in how the salt has affected it.
I'll try take some tomorrow. Actually going into the dealer to replace the soft tensioner blocks. They ordered them under warranty for me. I'll will have a chat about the shock with them too while I'm in there. I'll post a few pic after that.

lee1980

Reaction score
I got mine at begging of Jan, doused in ACF 50 as soon as I could and seems to be doing ok rust wise it was more white tarnishing on bolts and black painted bits, worse is my arrow headers look terrible im sure some autosol will bring em up new in summer.

I would not of bought bike this time of year normally only did as was knocked off other and needed for work doh!

Darren Reid

Reaction score
Darren, you got any pictures of the rusty shock? I'm interested in how the salt has affected it.
IMG_6653.jpgIMG_6654.jpgIMG_6655.jpg

Not the best picture I must admit but it was pitch dark when i took them. Also I just washed the bike so the rusty bit at the weld just looks like dark dirt as it's wet. You can see where it's rusting though, It's bright orange rust when it's dry. Warranty time!!!