Thinking of coming over to the Dark Side

sjw

Reaction score
2008 I traded in an R6 to get my current CBR600RR.
15000 miles later, its been all over the Alps with me, but I havent been on tour this year, and the bike just seems to be sat in my garage. The weather in the north of the UK doesnt help, nor do dangerous inattentive car drivers.
And at 62, I am finding it harder to live with
Has the time come for someone else to enjoy my pride and joy ?
I have 3 options so far:
1. Sell up, pack up bikes altogether
2. Triumph Street Triple. Rode this couple of weeks ago, a great handling bike, but I just dont like the look of it.
3. Yamaha MT09. Rode this last week. Brought out the hooligan in me, but worried about poor reviews. Certainly the suspension was too soft.

Swagger

Reaction score
You'd be pig sick if you packed it in for no real reason ... get a cheap MT09 (ex demo or low miler) and get the suspension sweetened. The bike is nice and light, manoeuvrable, plenty of power and not badly finished. I like mine as a local scalpel but I'd not be doing any kind of long range stuff on it ... but you could.

sjw

Reaction score
I suspect an MT09 would be a damn sight easier for long range stuff than a CBR600RR

silverstorm

Reaction score
Just do it.....you won't look back....well maybe at those trying to keep up!

The previous owner of my bike was 73!

It's only when you haven't got a bike that you really miss it.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Get the MT. I agree, the triumph isnt a looker and does nothing for me. Sports bikes are not practical, and I found with my old R1 it was frustrating to ride, as you knew you were not using it to its full potential (actually anywhere near it). I did around 2000-3000 a year on that, and had it for 5 years.
I have now had the MT since october 2013, its done over 11000 miles, so more than double the mileage of the R1.
Its just basically more fun and enjoyable to ride, and you dont need to ride like a lunatic to enjoy it.
Mine is still standard, no reflash, standard pipe, stock suspension. I feel no need to upgrade anything.
I regularly ride with mates on sportsbikes, and have no trouble keeping up.
Its comfy, can take a pillion, and does over 50mpg

fizzy

Reaction score
2008 I traded in an R6 to get my current CBR600RR.
15000 miles later, its been all over the Alps with me, but I havent been on tour this year, and the bike just seems to be sat in my garage. The weather in the north of the UK doesnt help, nor do dangerous inattentive car drivers.
And at 62, I am finding it harder to live with
Has the time come for someone else to enjoy my pride and joy ?
I have 3 options so far:
1. Sell up, pack up bikes altogether
2. Triumph Street Triple. Rode this couple of weeks ago, a great handling bike, but I just dont like the look of it.
3. Yamaha MT09. Rode this last week. Brought out the hooligan in me, but worried about poor reviews. Certainly the suspension was too soft.
Going to do 3000 miles plus in Europe on mine next week can't wait, most fun bike I have had in over 40 years of riding don't jack it in if bikes are in your blood you will regret it, get a mt and put the fun back into your biking life :cool:

sjw

Reaction score
Going to do 3000 miles plus in Europe on mine next week can't wait, most fun bike I have had in over 40 years of riding don't jack it in if bikes are in your blood you will regret it, get a mt and put the fun back into your biking life :cool:
3000 miles in a week :eek: I would be very impressed if you can do that sort of mileage
But really, the trip doesnt need to be an endurance test does it ?
Enjoy especially if you can get into the Alps

fizzy

Reaction score
3000 miles in a week :eek: I would be very impressed if you can do that sort of mileage
But really, the trip doesnt need to be an endurance test does it ?
Enjoy especially if you can get into the Alps
Sorry actually misled you a bit there it will be 9 days all over the Alps etc , done it twice before first time on a Fazer 1000 second time on a 08 r1,can't wait for it:)

sjw

Reaction score
3000 miles even in 9 days is a bit of an endurance test to me, or it was on a CBR600RR,
One of my points to all who ask me about touring in Europe is dont spoil it by overestimating how many miles you should do

Where are you going, I can recommend quite a few hotels.
Heading there myself in September, in a group of Lotus cars:cool:

You cant get any higher than here: Col de la Bonnette
2013-07-05 13.10.19.jpg

Swagger

Reaction score
... 3000 miles even in 9 days is a bit of an endurance test to me ... Heading there myself in September, in a group of Lotus cars ...
We're off to the Alps in September ... I'll look out for the Lotus group. We're fast running down to Grasse then up Route Napolean ... playing in and around Chambery, Annecy, Mont Blanc area back to Bourg en Bresse then blast West to Le Mans for some track action ... my sat nav was registering over 4500km and that's before it refused to allow me to complete the amalgamation of each of the separate routes and it doesn't include the UK portion either. It looks like the all up trip will be over 6000km. Can't wait! This is all on fully loaded big adventure bikes ... all fitted with brand new hoops which we need to preserve as far as is practically possible until we hit the twisties!

Last edited:

fizzy

Reaction score
The last 2 trips we have gone down to Cannes but this time probably staying in the alps and not doing the n85 will probably go in Italy a bit more than the previous 2 trips, the last time we did it we did 11 passes and the n85 down to Cannes in one day and it was a bit of a endurance that day ,but very enjoyable :D
Keep your eyes open for 2 race blue mt09s a ducati multistrada and a BMW 1000r if you are anywhere in the region of Holland, Belgium, France, Germany Switzerland and Italy