Tracer - Maximum Load

Jordo27

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

First post as an excited Tracer owner - today I purchased a new MT-09 Tracer (stoked!), but I need your help and advice.....

In reading through the operating manual it advises the safe maximum load for the motorcycle including rider, pillion and gear is 180kg (397lbs or 28 stone) I find this disappointing and hard to believe as the bike is advertised and marketed as a two-up sports-tourer. I am 6'4 and weigh 100kg (16 stone or 220lbs) and my wife who is also tall at 5'11 and weighs approx 75kg - which means with our riding gear the bike is at max load.

I spoke with the dealer who advised in speaking with Yamaha that if I upgrade the rear shock/ suspension to a specific one that is suitable to support our weight with gear, the bike will be able to support an increased load. The chassis and subframe will be fine.

Is this true?

If yes, any recommendations on a suitable shock/ rear suspension?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers

Jordo

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
I've bought a rear shock from Kawasaki ZX10R '08-'10 and allthough it has a weaker spring (9,1kg/mm than 10,2kg/mm of std MT-09 shock) it hash't need to put some preload on it because on ZX is putted vertically while on MT is putted horizontally..
So ask if by fitting a ZX shock may you find the sollution at your worry.

P.S. congrats for your choice and hope to enjoy your new "toy" the most !

Also, you must ask if the load limit at 180kg is for not make the subframe suffer.

Last edited:

Jordo27

Reaction score
Hi Motorcycle Boy, thank you for your reply much appreciated. The dealer advised that in speaking with Yamaha that the subframe was fine, but I was still a little concerned as I haven't heard from Yamaha the self.

Would still be interested if anyone has spoken to Yamaha or has a contact Thayer can ask and post.

Thanks again happy riding.