Tyre wear

crotchrocket

Reaction score
Cheers dude, yeah that was a price from Yamaha, I'm calling up FWR later, who should give me a better price if i 'drop a few names' lol

Fish1216

Reaction score
Ive done 1100 miles on my dunlops, only got 1mm left until I hit the wear marker on the rear and 1.6mm on the front..., I love the feel they give and the grip if fantastic, not sure what to go for next either, want the same feel and grip but I want a better wear rate, hmmmmmmm

PaulG

Reaction score
Dont find dunlops that bad to be honest , riding thru winter no probs , had loads worse , like my old xj 650. My local bike shop sold me a rear IRC (indian rubber company !) with the immortal words "your bottle will go before that tyre " Kin liar !! lol To be honest tho , ive got to be told about most things, i tend to ride around most problems and convince myself there is no problem !:eek: Bought a tyre off my mate on weekend , some Avon thing he never got to put on his GSX 1100 sprint bike before it detonated last year , 60 quid , new , bargain ! He also took bike for a spin , came back and played with rear suspension. Hes like that . I noticed .... nothing, but thanked him anyway .
IRC stands for Inoue Rubber Co. A Japanese company,now called INOAC Corp.

julianziggy

Reaction score
DSC_0734.jpg

this is mine after a 200km highway ride. it doesnt usually wear like this, (ive checked a few times but not after a long highway ride). ive done 4000km total

Fish1216

Reaction score
1100 miles, most of the miles were done in the wet/damp shitty roads, only done about 400 miles on good ride outs

mtmarcel

Reaction score
I don't think the Dunlop's are that bad. But than again I just did 750 km on them. But they feel ok.

Send from Down Down Under

flydnb

Reaction score
yeah crotch report back on how they handle sir, also if i had that tankbag I wouldn't see over the top.

Spot

Reaction score
I don't think the Dunlop's are that bad. But than again I just did 750 km on them. But they feel ok.

I think the Dunlops are great in the dry, but they scare the pants off me in the wet!
I'll be looking to get Michelin's too once they're worn.

Saying that, after having a quick blast the other day I got home to discover that somehow the Scottoiler nib had come loose and because earlier it hadn't been giving enough "flow" i'd put it near max for a test and it was pissing oil all over the left edge of the tyre. Yikes! Good job I hadn't been going really mental on it.

mtmarcel

Reaction score
For me it's only a fun bike, only gets out when it's dry.

So I don't really have to worry about the wet.

relz

Reaction score
Never mix compounds...
They act so differently u will end up comin a cropper...
Never say never...

Today I installed only a rear Michelin PR3. It's just ridiculously expensive out here, I paid 1600 ILS for the one tyre fitted, it would have cost me half in the US :(

I consulted with a couple of local motorcycling authorities (real people, not virtual ones like you lot :p ), and they both said that unless I'm planning to enter the motoGP I'll probably be fine with two different brands of quality tyres.

I figured my life is worth risking for 1600ILS (that's alot of beers). If I survive the next few days, I'll be happy to share the experience of riding with mixed tyres :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

flydnb

Reaction score
Never say never...

Today I installed only a rear Michelin PR3. It's just ridiculously expensive out here, I paid 1600 ILS for the one tyre fitted, it would have cost me half in the US :(

I consulted with a couple of local motorcycling authorities (real people, not virtual ones like you lot :p ), and they both said that unless I'm planning to enter the motoGP I'll probably be fine with two different brands of quality tyres.

I figured my life is worth risking for 1600ILS (that's alot of beers). If I survive the next few days, I'll be happy to share the experience of riding with mixed tyres :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
relz mate putting different tyres on each wheel as in say a Dunlop front and a bridgestone rear will really affect handling whatever your other guys said, it doesn't make so much difference on say a 125 trail bike but an 850 road bike it will be odd, for example your bike could track really odd and feel out of balance, for me its worth the investment never budget on tyres on a bike as there are only two small contact patches its more critical on a bike with the torque and forces that are put onto the tyres.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
relz mate putting different tyres on each wheel as in say a Dunlop front and a bridgestone rear will really affect handling whatever your other guys said, it doesn't make so much difference on say a 125 trail bike but an 850 road bike it will be odd, for example your bike could track really odd and feel out of balance, for me its worth the investment never budget on tyres on a bike as there are only two small contact patches its more critical on a bike with the torque and forces that are put onto the tyres.
^^^^^wot he said^^^^^

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yeah crotch report back on how they handle sir, also if i had that tankbag I wouldn't see over the top.
Fly I've had these on since I got the bike, I've done over 2100 miles on them now and apart from having no chicken strips, it looks like they were put on yesterday. Fantastic wear rate, they heat up super super quick, very sticky in the dry and more grip than a Russian shot putter lol.

I've been tipped rite over on some nice twisties in the wet and not once did It feel like it was gonna let go or slide out. The confidence they give u in the wet is scary as I ride almost as fast as I do in the dry. They leave a massive dry patch in the wet which speaks volumes to me.

In the dry I can't seem to fault them either. A couple of times I've had to grap a massive fist full due to "knob heads" not paying attention on the road and they can stop on a sixpence if needed. It seems the more u break the more grip gets compressed onto the road and the quicker u stop.

I thought the PR3's I had on my Gixxer and GSR750 (I got over 6000 miles out of those tyres on the rear on both bikes)! were excellent but the PR4's are miles better and I didn't think that was even possible. They mite be £260+ a set but they're worth every penny.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!