What model of crash bobbins for a safe and stylish bike?

tjoffe

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a few things to my gray -15 when it arrives in about 2 weeks. It will have the LPH and a full Acra, genuine led flashers and genuine radiatorsides. Ordered a nice black radiator guard from our german friend that had a thread here..
But i also need some Crash Bobbins. New to track driving and dont want to mess the bike up the first time around.
So...
Swing and fork and barends are definitive a go. but frame..
Any opinions on what to have and where to place them?
Front or back frame sliders?
Bridge or separate?
Metisse or R&G or SW or....
The cost is not the problem.. as long as it saves the bike and dont look aweful..
Please help :rolleyes:

Booney

Reaction score
Hi tjoffe
There are loads of options out there and if you do a search on this forum you will find plenty of advice.
Along with the axle and bar sliders and suitable frame ones I think you will need to protect the engine cases for sure.
Google search images for a closer look.
Best
Booney

tjoffe

Reaction score
I have looked in this forum and many others. And found som nice pics but there are few comments about how they work and "feel" (in the way etc..)
And very few pics showing of the entire bike with bobbins. LOTS of closeups but want an ok overall look aswell.
only found 2 bad res pic with the genuine protectors. Are they working? Still in need of motor protection or are they sufficient?
Many questions, indecicive and shopaholic is not a good combo :)

flipper

Reaction score
opinion seems to be that the Yamaha protectors are not worth having as they sit in the wrong place.

lee1980

Reaction score
IMG_3747.jpg

I went for evotech they said they stick out enough to protect engine, not so sure, would like to get sato racing engine silders to at some point.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What setup do you use now? looks good on your pics.. did you have r&g on also when you Went down?
On some pics on your profile you have the genuines on.. i want the optimal protection.. :)
The best combo (obviously this is my opinion)! is R&G (other brands are available) case covers with SW Motech frame sliders.

flipper

Reaction score
the last 2 bikes I totalled were both fitted with crash bungs.

from my historical data I would suggest that you save the money on crash bungs and put it into comprehensive insurance instead.

tjoffe

Reaction score
when fitting
Engine Case Cover Kit (3pc) For MT-09 (as i guess it is you mean)
is there any fluids or so to be aware of or is it all dry? Just bolt out and in with the new?
Looks like a nice kombination.Is the motech better fitted/more protective than R&G framsliders? or why mix?

lee1980

Reaction score
I get crash bungs really more thinking they may save bike in a drop or low speed slide, dont imagine any will do a great deal when its at speed, my last bike a CBR500r was written off still even though the bungs made it rideable and saved a lot of damage cosmetic to.

On the MT the engine looks to be wide but not sure if it or its just the slender middle area making it look wide. The evotechs I have look very wide and look to protect engine to.

PeteMT

Reaction score
Had a pair of oggy knobs on my first MT. Did a great job protecting the engine..

Have a set of GBRacing engine covers on my new bike. Debating adding crash bungs. My logic is try and protect the bike enough to keep it ridable after a crash. Crash protection is never designed to keep the bike 100% free of damage.....