What's done on 6000 mile service?

Kinjane

Reaction score
My periodic maintenance table in the workshop manual has the 'adjust synchronisation' tick box ticked for every service schedule.

My guess that if it's not done then eventually you'll need a set of better ear plugs to hide the worsening clutch rattle.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Interestingly my two local Yamaha dealerships both have different takes on the 6000 mile service. Skellerns in Worcester do NOT balance the throttle bodies but Spa in Cheltenham do!

Skellerns charge £180 and Spa charge £240. I find it pretty odd that two Yamaha dealers would have different items listed for the same service?!

Sent from my iPhone 
The Throtle Bodies need balancing every 10Kkm/6Kml.. Not only because the service manual said. If you stay beside your mechanic when is servicing your triple you'll see by your own eyes the difference at the flow in each cylinder. They are OK only when they are going equal. For best results is needed exhaust-gas analyzation at the same time.
If i was you i would go at the Spa with the higher cost but more responsible behaviour.
From my experience, after 10K km the equal settings are lost. For example one TB runs leaner when the others runs reacher, each in different level.. That happened because of engines vibrations and that's why Yamaha "tics the box" in service/repair manual. Then your bike runs better and faster than before. After use the bike starts again to loose the "equality" until next service
Every 12K miles it needs and spark plug change too, but in your case they are staying there for more than 2,5 years... and for how long? When you spent lots of money in mods it's a pitty to leave the bike in old sparks or brake fluid for long periods.
Brake fluid MUST change at least every 2 years.
Fork oil in our bikes is better to change once a year.
So there are many things to be done.... Ask Spa about..
Hope this helps mate!
180 pounds only for oil change is a lot of money

RipGroove

Reaction score
The Throtle Bodies need balancing every 10Kkm/6Kml.. Not only because the service manual said. If you stay beside your mechanic when is servicing your triple you'll see by your own eyes the difference at the flow in each cylinder. They are OK only when they are going equal. For best results is needed exhaust-gas analyzation at the same time.
If i was you i would go at the Spa with the higher cost but more responsible behaviour.
From my experience, after 10K km the equal settings are lost. For example one TB runs leaner when the others runs reacher, each in different level.. That happened because of engines vibrations and that's why Yamaha "tics the box" in service/repair manual. Then your bike runs better and faster than before. After use the bike starts again to loose the "equality" until next service
Every 12K miles it needs and spark plug change too, but in your case they are staying there for more than 2,5 years... and for how long? When you spent lots of money in mods it's a pitty to leave the bike in old sparks or brake fluid for long periods.
Brake fluid MUST change at least every 2 years.
Fork oil in our bikes is better to change once a year.
So there are many things to be done.... Ask Spa about..
Hope this helps mate!
180 pounds only for oil change is a lot of money
Nice one Brother, I did book it with Spa in the end, it's being done in a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone 

RipGroove

Reaction score
Well I'm not having much luck here! A few weeks ago i booked the bike in for 27th September via email, no actual time was mentioned but out of courtesy I mentioned I'd probably have the bike there just after 9am.

The evening before I find out my wife's car has a service that morning also so I call Spa at 9am (when they open), no one answers so I keep calling until I get an answer, at 09:06 I get an answer and ask them if I can bring the bike over at 12:00, the guys says no so I figure that's cool we'll change the wife's appointment instead as at this point I still have time to get the bike to Spa by 09:30 but the guy proceeds to tell me that actually no they now can't fit the bike in at all this week as they've already given my slot away and have another bike on the ramp already?! So in the 6 minutes between 09:00 and 09:06 they'd decided I wasn't going to arrive at all, given my slot away AND loaded another bike on the ramp and started working on it?!

What if I was stuck in traffic and running a few minutes late?

Well anyways that pissed me off so I've now cancelled that service and rebooked with yet another Yamaha dealer. Third time lucky eh?

So Skellerns in Worcester don't do the required throttle body sync and Spa in Cheltenham are EXTREMELY strict with their times and cancel your appointment if you're a few minutes late so we'll see what Peter Hammond in Cirencester are like, I now have to wait another two weeks though as they were booked up.

So far in 6000 miles and 3 services I've not actually yet had a good experience with my two local Yamaha dealers. The only positive experience was the day i actually bought the bike, but then of course they'll be helpful while trying to make a sale.

The last two services I booked I've tried to get the CCT replaced (at my own cost) as my (still original) one from 2014 is quite loud, I can hear it as soon as I move my right knee while riding but I've been fobbed off both times, first time they said "we can't even asses that because your exhaust is too loud (Akra with baffle in that THEY fitted) and the second time they listened to it briefly (without riding it) and said it doesn't need doing as 'it's the quietist one they've ever heard' lol BS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RipGroove

Reaction score
I give up! Screw in my tyre now. I'm calling it for this year, I've cancelled my service and the bike is now officially off the road for the Winter. She's been cleaned and is now tucked up in the garage under her blanket and the battery is indoors on its tender. Done.

chump

Reaction score
I give up! Screw in my tyre now. I'm calling it for this year, I've cancelled my service and the bike is now officially off the road for the Winter. She's been cleaned and is now tucked up in the garage under her blanket and the battery is indoors on its tender. Done.

very sensible - no point in servicing before laying up, do it for the new season........................... or do it yourself over the winter!!

RipGroove

Reaction score
very sensible - no point in servicing before laying up, do it for the new season........................... or do it yourself over the winter!!
I'm really OCD about keep the service books stamped so it'll be going to Yamaha in the Spring [emoji16]

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
At least make an oil change before you store it for winter by yourself... put 2,5 liters without change the oil filter, run the engine for some minutes and will be fine.
Don't worry about CCT as yamaha has (silently) extend the warranty especially for this item from 2 years to 4 years after purchase of bike.
(That is what my mechanic informed me -and asked me to keep the info for myself- as the replaced CCT has been heard a couple of times last June but since then runs like a clock.).
I've change the oem with the 2nd gen when the bike has had 12.000km, i heard it again when it was at 31000km and now have close to 34000km and its OK..
But you have to insist my friend.... some mechanics are...... for kicks and punches.
Globally, only a few are faith and doing serious work.
It's a pitty in a country where people love bikes there aren't lots of good mechanics.
P.S. i've own a Subaru Forester with a flat-four petrol engine and there is only one mechanic in Athens that most of the Subaru owners trust to service our vehicles.
All the other owners who trust other mechanics are facing their broken engines very very often...

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Have you tried Motorcyclemart in Kidderminster, Yamaha Dealer, only about 25 mins from Skellerns...

I have booked mine in fir 6k service, been quoted £191, this includes Synconisation. Could be less as I dont need Air Filter...

Last edited: