Which shock

Baz69

Reaction score
I know there has been lots of input about changing rear shock ,just wondering has anyone fitted a wilbers 640 shock,maxton , ohlins ,nitron seem to be the most popular ,looking to upgrade but not sure which one to go for ,also has anyone found benefit fom changing springs and oil in forks or does it need to be cartridge internals to make any benefit,just picked up 6mth old mt last week ,front is like a pogo then rear unsettles over bumps and pushes front even more giving a very unsettled feeling ,bike is on std settings can mess about with settings but most seem to change shock,have a wilbers in lc350 like a new bike thinkin of wilbers for mt just want to see if anyone has it in mt.

marksim

Reaction score
Ive got the Ohlins street shock in mine and Andreani fork cartridges.
All these were set for my weight and riding style from FWR.
To be honest would be hard not to improve no matter what you put in.
Ive used Ohlins,Maxton,WP,Hyperpro and Nitron before on various bikes but if its not set up right theres no point.
You wont believe how many people put there aftermarket gear on and dont even set the sag.

flipper

Reaction score
The 640 is an emulsion shock. Not as good as any of the others you listed. If you want a wilbers spend the extra on a 641. Nothing wrong with a 641.

I have the Nitron Sport which works very well and is only £40 or so more than the 640, but is a proper de Carbon unit.

Stiffer springs and heavier oil do help but you could improve the fork a lot more with the gp suspension valving kit. Bitubo and Matris also offer valving kits to fit the oe cartridge.

Last edited:

Baz69

Reaction score
Cool didn't realise the 640 was an emulsion ,good thing about the nitron or maxton they set them up for your weight etc ,what sort of cost do gp charge for the revalve ,thanks

flipper

Reaction score
you'd be fitting the gp kit yourself, or having someone fit it for you as they're in the US.

Wilbers also sell the 641 sprung to your weight, although I think it has the preload adjuster at the top so it's not accessible on the bike..

Bon

Reaction score
Matris cartridge and springs for my weight on front. Nitron sport on rear both ordered for my weight and riding style. Front brakes have improved lots as they dont dive so much anymore. Corners lovely. PDQ supplied and fitted all mine for a little over 1K. Well worth the expense imo. Shock would be easy enough to do myself but forks not so. I preferred to pay some guys that knew what they were doing and had all the required knowledge and equipment to save me pulling my hair out or buggering something up !

Baz69

Reaction score
Shock and forks

Have decided to go for the nitron street shock,just wondering flipper did you go for the the revalve or the complete fork cartridge kit,lookin at getting Nick in stoltec to do the revalve and fit springs oil myself,how did the seat concepts foam and cover work out for you that is also on my list the std seat just keep slidin up .

flipper

Reaction score
I think Nitron have stopped making the street shock............... did you mean the Sport shock?

I went for the revalve - fitted the valve kit myself. Not hard to do, but you do need balls - gets a bit nervy when you're heating the cartridge to melt the Loctite and there's loads of smoke coming out of it!

You can get the right length springs from Sonic Springs or Ohlins.

I traded a Street Rally seat for the Seat Concepts one I have. Only ridden the bike once with it fitted but it seems pretty good. No more sitting on your nuts as the seat is much flatter.

Last edited:

TIM80

Reaction score
I see Elka suspension now make rear shocks for Mt-09 and FJ-09 starting from 599 Can to 999 Can . I believe they have at good Rep and are well priced.

M

MT account

just waiting for maxton cartridges to arrive for the FZ now, followed by the marksim mod :) to arrive for the MT.......the NR4 worked straight out the box, it seems to perform best 2 up so il have to back it off a bit to see how it goes when im scratching 1 up.i dont think they will fit in my cabin bag tho....20141011_231948_LLS.jpg

zine

Reaction score
Ive got the Ohlins street shock in mine and Andreani fork cartridges.
All these were set for my weight and riding style from FWR.
To be honest would be hard not to improve no matter what you put in.
Ive used Ohlins,Maxton,WP,Hyperpro and Nitron before on various bikes but if its not set up right theres no point.
You wont believe how many people put there aftermarket gear on and dont even set the sag.
I'm looking at doing this upgrade from FWR, but using the Nitron rear shock. Is there any benifits of one over the other?

My consern about the ohlin's is you are paying a premium for the brand name, so Nitron might offer best specs for the price?

Bon

Reaction score
Nitron shock and Matris fork cartridge and springs up front. All bought and made up for my weight and riding style.
Night and day difference. Thought they had done something with the front brakes on the ride home then realised i could use them much harder without the fear of cartwheeling from all the nosediving from the old springs.
To be fair though, some here are more than happy with the standard suspension.
Best mod ive done to the bike so far.

Luke_Price

Reaction score
Nitron shock and Matris fork cartridge and springs up front. All bought and made up for my weight and riding style.
Night and day difference. Thought they had done something with the front brakes on the ride home then realised i could use them much harder without the fear of cartwheeling from all the nosediving from the old springs.
To be fair though, some here are more than happy with the standard suspension.
Best mod ive done to the bike so far.
Can I ask where you bought your kit from?

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I have the Maxton, set up for my weight and I can confirm it does make a huge improvement over the original. But as most people have said any decent brand will be an improvement, I like the fact that they are built in the UK and can be easily modified or have the valving changed if ever needed.

Bon

Reaction score
Can I ask where you bought your kit from?
PDQ Motorcycle Developments
Marshgate Trading Estate
Hitcham Road
Taplow
Berkshire
SL6 0LX
England

Really nice people. Ride in ride out service. [took about 4 hours all in.