Would you buy an ex-demo MT-09?

Reaction score
Looking at getting an MT-09 but there are very few actual used ones for sale here in the UK, all the ones I'm looking at within my budget (6k) are ex-demo with 500 or less miles on them. I know that running in an engine at a certain rpm has a lot to do with work hardening certain components like cams and bearings etc, so on a modern engine is this break in period still very crucial? Should I avoid ex-demo bikes? I really like the MT-09 but my absolute max budget is 6k.

Just for reference I have seen a couple of ex-demo 2013 MT-09's with the flyscreen already fitted for 6k.

I was maybe thinking along the lines that if the official run in period was say 900 miles for instance and I find an ex-demo with 500 miles on it that maybe if I added another 500 miles of actual break in then any work hardening could be done then. And if I keep the bike for 2 or 3 years would any issue caused by a poor break in even surface within those 2 or 3 years?

Reaction score
No problem at all as it's still under warranty. There are loads of ex-demo's for sale, ebay was full of them the other day. What is harder to find is the right colour of your choice.

I was in Maidstone this week and popped into a certain dealer down there who had their demo outside. It was hanging. My local, CMC, washed their demo's when they came back in so at least looked decent for a prospective buyer.
So what colour do you want (forget ABS :rolleyes:)

Reaction score
No problem at all as it's still under warranty. There are loads of ex-demo's for sale, ebay was full of them the other day. What is harder to find is the right colour of your choice.

I was in Maidstone this week and popped into a certain dealer down there who had their demo outside. It was hanging. My local, CMC, washed their demo's when they came back in so at least looked decent for a prospective buyer.
So what colour do you want (forget ABS :rolleyes:)

Oh Ok cool, how long does the warranty last then? I'm after a grey one, and ABS would be out of my budget and probably rarer to find anyway. I'd be happy with the Grey model, flyscreen, maybe rad guards and defo an Akrapovik, can't find any used ones with exhaust on already so will have to save up for that :-(

Reaction score
I had the same questions prior to getting my bike, and I've had no issues whatsoever with it. It was a Demo with 450 miles on it! You really need to get some extras in for £6k though. I got £1700 if extras on my bike and it was £6,999. So they should really throw in a screen and tail tidy (or similar) Its not worth getting a demo if you get Yamaha finance though.

Check out this thread for pros and cons.

http://www.mt-09.net/forum/mt-09-general-discussion/306-would-you-buy-demonstrator.html

Reaction score
p.s i know Yamaha Clapham have a deep armour demo, with the akrapovic. Worth asking them if they want to sell it !!!

Reaction score
I bought mine with Akrapovic, fly screen, R&G tidy, Yamaha engine case sliders and it was a demo bike with 205 miles on it. I got it for under 6k ?

Reaction score
From my local Yamaha/Suzuki dealership lol. Don't like the deep armour either, that's y i went for the Matt Grey lol. They have a few left tho. Had a go on the MT-07 today. Seat is awesome but the rest of the bike isn't a patch on the MT-09. In my honest opinion lol

Reaction score
Will check it out thanks, any tips for getting extras from dealer?

Twozup

Reaction score
Had a go on the MT-07 today. Seat is awesome but the rest of the bike isn't a patch on the MT-09. In my honest opinion lol

Why Trips? Assume a lot less power? Or just general feel?

According to The Triumph Herald (MCN) it's apparently a better bike.....

I can't imagine it has the same mix of power and torque of its larger cc/ triple cylinder sibling?

Wouldn't mind a go on it though!

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

Reaction score
From my local Yamaha/Suzuki dealership lol. Don't like the deep armour either, that's y i went for the Matt Grey lol. They have a few left tho. Had a go on the MT-07 today. Seat is awesome but the rest of the bike isn't a patch on the MT-09. In my honest opinion lol

Who's your local dealer then?

Reaction score
Loads less power and torque and sounds like a pile of poo with the stock exhaust lol. It is more comfy tho.

Bike dealer....crack dealer.....they're the same aren't they lol.

My tip wud b as necky as f@#k ;)