Would you buy an ex-demo MT-09?

Stripy

Reaction score
RipGrove, you say you deffo want the Akra exhaust, but don't have the dish to do that part of the deal, until you've done some more saving.

Why not then save a bit more now, get a sparkling new model, no one have ridden before, then your worries are out for the warranty/running in period.
After that, the exhaust can come - it is after all not because the bike hardly can ride without that pipe... :)

Reaction score
RipGrove, you say you deffo want the Akra exhaust, but don't have the dish to do that part of the deal, until you've done some more saving.

Why not then save a bit more now, get a sparkling new model, no one have ridden before, then your worries are out for the warranty/running in period.
After that, the exhaust can come - it is after all not because the bike hardly can ride without that pipe... :)

Yeah I've been asking around quite a few dealers today and the feeling is that they are like gold dust atm. So as it is I have two choices:

Option 1: Get the ex demo (500 mile) in my preferred color from my local Yamaha dealer with fly screen, rad guards and tank pad for £6000

Option 2: Save a little longer and get a new one (what are they on the road, £6800?) then have to buy the fly screen on top (so £6900 total?)

Both options will see me getting the exhaust at a later date.

What do you guys reckon?

Reaction score
Just so u knw... The fly screen alone is around £100. Tank pad off eBay £16 rad guard really depends on which one u get.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah thanks, thats why assuming they are £6800 on the road? I'm looking at £6900 total with screen. Tank pad and guards don't bother me right now, its just that the ex demo in my local place already has them.

Stripy

Reaction score
If you have any concerns regarding breaking in/running in, go for the new option.
If you are able to compromise with your self on that matter, to opt for the semi-runned-in model, but gain accessories, go for that.

Personally, i'd go for new.

Twozup

Reaction score
If you have any concerns regarding breaking in/running in, go for the new option.
If you are able to compromise with your self on that matter, to opt for the semi-runned-in model, but gain accessories, go for that.

Personally, i'd go for new.

New here too. Never had a brand new bike before this one and the feeling just knowing it's only me who's crashed it is great.

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

Reaction score
Yeah I've been asking around quite a few dealers today and the feeling is that they are like gold dust atm. So as it is I have two choices:

Option 1: Get the ex demo (500 mile) in my preferred color from my local Yamaha dealer with fly screen, rad guards and tank pad for £6000

Option 2: Save a little longer and get a new one (what are they on the road, £6800?) then have to buy the fly screen on top (so £6900 total?)

Both options will see me getting the exhaust at a later date.

What do you guys reckon?

Dont jump at the first one you see, there are loads out there for sale, bide your time and a better one will come along, especially as the forum members will be keeping a national lookout for you.

Do you have the £6000 in cash right now ?
What are the monthly increases in your savings going to be, eg £150 a month ?
What is your primary colour choice and would you take another colour at the right price ?

Just so I know :)

Reaction score
I do have 6k cash right now, increases will now be slow though as my house is on the market so a house move is due soon, so my spare cash is being directed at that now. I could probably still add £400 a month to the bike fund for the next 2 or 3 months but I also do need new helmet and boots. Matte Grey would be my preferred color.

Reaction score
I do have 6k cash right now, increases will now be slow though as my house is on the market so a house move is due soon, so my spare cash is being directed at that now. I could probably still add £400 a month to the bike fund for the next 2 or 3 months but I also do need new helmet and boots. Matte Grey would be my preferred color.

Best colour IMHO, if the difference is £800 I'd be leaning towards new as well. For all you know some bugger has kicked the Demo's ass, or even binned it!

That said most dealers have a responsible staff member run in a demo bike before unleashing it on the public

Sent from Scott's iPhone using Tapatalk

W8ENN

Reaction score
Buy new! Pay half deposit take the rest on finance. With the leftover buy leathers, helmet, beer and spend the night with a lady of the night. When your house sells pay the finance off. Or carry on paying the finance and use the spare cash to party like a playboy for a week!! That's what I'd do anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Buy new! Pay half deposit take the rest on finance. With the leftover buy leathers, helmet, beer and spend the night with a lady of the night. When your house sells pay the finance off. Or carry on paying the finance and use the spare cash to party like a playboy for a week!! That's what I'd do anyway.

F*ck yeah! lol

Already have leathers, my boots are toast and I could do with another helmet. Also I don't do finance, I'd rather just save a little longer and walk in with a bag of cash.

Reaction score
Was just hoping I could pick up a bike now while I have the cash before we buy a bigger house and have a bigger mortgage. Will just keep saving a little more each week and see what happens.

W8ENN

Reaction score
You'd be surprised the deal you could get if you throw that bag of cash on the desk. Here in Aus I had to wait 3 months for mine as supply was and still is very limited. They could have sold my bike 20 times over as there was only 10 came into the country. I managed to negotiate $1000 worth of extras. Give it a go mate, they want to sell you a bike as much as you want to buy one. Spend tomorrow travelling round dealers with your bag of cash.

Reaction score
You'd be surprised the deal you could get if you throw that bag of cash on the desk. Here in Aus I had to wait 3 months for mine as supply was and still is very limited. They could have sold my bike 20 times over as there was only 10 came into the country. I managed to negotiate $1000 worth of extras. Give it a go mate, they want to sell you a bike as much as you want to buy one. Spend tomorrow travelling round dealers with your bag of cash.

Yeah that is the other option I guess, just have to go hassel a few dealers.

W8ENN

Reaction score
Play a few off against each other. Any good salesmans worst nightmare is you walking out that door