YBR125 to MT09

Krafty

Reaction score
Earlier this year, I decided to approach the bank of wife, about financing a new hobby.
I'd set my heart on a catterham style kit car.
Here's how the discussion went.
Me: how's our savings looking?
Wife: ok why?
Me: I fancy treating myself to something
Wife: what like
Me: a kit car, like this
Wife: what are you going to do in that?
( here's where it went wrong)
Me: trash around the island in it;)
Wife: no way
Me : ermmm ok
So I'm not one to give up on finding a new hobby. Especially as the weather was starting to improve
A few weeks later I spotted a "try a bike" advert by a local riding school
I've never really ridden a motorbikes and after moving to the Isle of Man, they do start to grow on you.
So I paid my £25 and rode around a compound for an hour in my borrowed gear.
Took my cbt that afternoon, in the pouring rain and came off turning right at a junction, due grabbing the front brake ( lesson 1 don't touch the f£#king front brake when turning) luckily it was there bike.
To be honest the fall hurt and my confidence lay smashed to pieces under their cb125.
I decided bikes were not for me.
Days later Sat in the pub with a friend, I told him my story. He just laughed and said he'd dropped bikes loads of times over his 40 years of riding and encouraged me to try again.
So to the bike shop and I brought all the safety gear (just in case)
Rebooked to finish my cbt, and all was well. Completed my theory test a week later and I was set to become a biker
A few lessons later it was clear, I wasn't going to pass a test only riding once a week.
Brought. Myself a 2009 Ybr 125 waahooo
The Ybr soon became boring The test date was set and freedom here I come.
The same good friend from above decided to sell his mt09. With a test on the horizon why would I want a modified mt09?
Let's face it the Ybr didnt scare me, how different could they be?
Passed first time, Bring on the mt09!!!!
Holy s#%t the torque was terrifying, the speed in which the engine responded was breath taking.
I've had some fast cars over the years and driven some even faster ones, but nothing could prepare me for the Ybr-mt09 leap
I was scared to take it out, I have to kids and a wife to think about
Once again super mate to the rescue, we rode out together. I followed him like I was on tow. It was amazing
I found myself slowing down, just so I could speed up, the power delivery is such fun.
Is the mt09 too much for a new rider ....YES
will your face ache, when you get off from smiling.....YES

flydnb

Reaction score
To be honest its a huge leap from a 125 learner bike and its not the most forgiving as is the nature of the bike , you should be ok but just take it very easy till you gain confidence , my main concern in your post though is the fact you have ask your wife for permission man up!

John Barlow

Reaction score
Enjoy the bike but please be careful!! ? BTW you must trade the Mrs in!!???, reminds me of the joke about the biker who is worried sick that if he dies she will sell his bike for what he told her it cost him. !!

Krafty

Reaction score
Being honest I've had two stupid super low speed wobbles off. No damage to the bike or me on either occasion.

The plus side from going from a Ybr to a mt09 is, the power delivery from the Mt instantly demands respect, or your going to the hospital or worse. I live on the Isle of Man, if you f*#k up here.....you pay!!

I took it out tonight, with the view to making the decision to sell/trade it or push on with the MT.

I had a great ride, I really enjoyed it.
I'm not getting my knee down, I'm just enjoying the ride. I will have monumental chicken strips but who cares:cool:

bobh

Reaction score
Yeah, the -09 is a great bike, but it does kind of make you want to ride like a hooligan (which is why I love it!)

It's not wimping out to put it in rain mode to soften the power delivery - it'll still do an easy three figures (on private roads or in the IoM, of course) - until you get used to the throttle response. In fact, until you've developed a delicate touch on the twistgrip it may be better to leave it there - as I discovered the other day when I rode in my winter gloves that don't have as much feel as the summer ones.

Big dog

Reaction score
Isle of man roads are great, all sorts of places to explore . Did you buy your bike from Paul Dedmans by any chance ? I looked at one in there a couple of months ago .

Krafty

Reaction score
Nah the bike was originally supplied via road and track (new) my mate pre-ordered it. I brought it from him a month or so back after he moved to a bmw f800st from Jason griffiths

donut

Reaction score
I found myself slowing down, just so I could speed up, the power delivery is such fun.
Is the mt09 too much for a new rider ....YES
will your face ache, when you get off from smiling.....YES[/QUOTE]

Just ride for yourself and to your own limits and could always use B mode for a while to get used to it.

Here's what I managed on mine this year - could have been faster and on other, busier days, had guys come past me as there area always faster guys about but I know my limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdNdFP5PYzs