2nd bike choice?

Shaun64

Reaction score
I've decided to get myself another bike something that's a laugh I've looked at Hondas crf250l off road abilty cheap to run but expensive to buy not much power,I also fancy ccm644 dual sport with the Suzuki engine anyone got one? I would like another street triple early round head lights model but think I may spend too much time polishing it! Can anyone recomend another bike?

stevecbr

Reaction score
i've looked at the crf250l, they seem good value 2nd hand, about the £3000 mark, and you wouldnt loose much money keeping it for a few years. The Suzuki DRZ400's and Yamaha XT600's are good but now old, and are starting to go up in price.
A bigish scooter (300cc plus) are a good laugh, much quicker than you expect, and are really handy for carrying pillions and storing all your crap when you get somewhere. A decent Kawasaki J300 will cost about £3000, and if you can find one the Yamaha Tmax 500 is meant to be brilliant.
My mate who has the big bang R1 just bought a Ural sidecar, mainly so he can do his shopping and take his dog out! Great laugh, easy to service yourself, £4000 ish for a decent one, shouldnt loose much money on resale

Shaun64

Reaction score
i've looked at the crf250l, they seem good value 2nd hand, about the £3000 mark, and you wouldnt loose much money keeping it for a few years. The Suzuki DRZ400's and Yamaha XT600's are good but now old, and are starting to go up in price.
A bigish scooter (300cc plus) are a good laugh, much quicker than you expect, and are really handy for carrying pillions and storing all your crap when you get somewhere. A decent Kawasaki J300 will cost about £3000, and if you can find one the Yamaha Tmax 500 is meant to be brilliant.
My mate who has the big bang R1 just bought a Ural sidecar, mainly so he can do his shopping and take his dog out! Great laugh, easy to service yourself, £4000 ish for a decent one, shouldnt loose much money on resale

Some good ideas there Steve cheers,that Ural sounds a laugh i could just see my daughters face if I pulled up with a sidecar to pick the grand kids up in!. Home maintenance a must for me I've to take my tracer for it's 6000 mile service next month £180 the robbing twats.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Last British bike I had was a 1972 BSA B50SS 500 single. It was a fun bike but you needed to carry a pocket full of headlight bulbs and I always carried a spare piston. You could change a piston by the roadside in less than an hour, seriously I have done it. This is not my bike but exactly the same. Oh and it was a good idea if going on a long run to carry a spare 1/2 pint of oil. Thank god for Japanese engineering lol.
http://www.b50.org/bradjones1.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Funtcase

Reaction score
If I got myself a cheap 2nd/hacker bike i'd probably go for something like a klr650, really would like to get my hands on a decent low mile r1150gs at some point.

Unfazed

Reaction score
FZS600, (Mk 2) nearly 80,000 miles on her and still going like a train!

bobh

Reaction score
My "hack" is a MT-03, which I've had for 5 years and 8000 miles now.. I had a XT660Z Tenere before it, but as I wasn't going to use it to travel round the world I got fed up with the tall seat, the high gearing and its general top-heaviness, so I did a straight swap for the MT-03, which was 2 years and 4000 miles newer, was more comfortable, had the same engine but with sensible gearing and handled better. It will even, with the semi-knobbly tyres I have on it for winter, do a bit of mild offroading.

They've never been very popular, people seem to prefer the "adventure", "trailie" or "supermoto" ethic, and it isn't strictly any of those. So you can pick one up for a couple of grand, or a bit more for a really nice example. I suspect that is about as low as they are going to go.

The great thing about them, as far as I'm concerned, is that there isn't a lot to them, they are easy to work on and they seem to go through a British winter without any major issues or getting too furry. In fact, when I bought mine, it had been used for a year's commuting into London with no obvious signs of TLC, yet it tidied up quite well.

I've also had a DRZ, but great little bikes that they are, you could never keep up with your mates on a run, which I pretty much can on the MT--03 (on the twistier bits anyway!)